Bout to start again. Should I NG+?

+
Bout to start again. Should I NG+?

WIth the first expansion coming out in a month or so, I want to go back and play through the Witcher 3 again, making sure I get all the right outcomes that I want. Is it worth doing NG+ or does it make you overpowered?

I've played other games with NG+ modes that sorta ruined it because you're not earning anything. Not really a fan of having all the best swords and stuff unlocked.

So, NG+ or just start a new game?

WIth the first expansion coming out in a month or so, I want to go back and play through the Witcher 3 again, making sure I get all the right outcomes that I want. Is it worth doing NG+ or does it make you overpowered?

I've played other games with NG+ modes that sorta ruined it because you're not earning anything. Not really a fan of having all the best swords and stuff unlocked.

If you start NG+ the armor and swords you have are good enough for that level start . The armor and swords scale accordingly through out the game . That doesn't make it over powering as much as you keep adding to your skill levels does .

Ok, well is it really a lot harder?

One problem I had with the game was that by the time I finished the main quest there were still a heap of contracts and smaller quests for me to go back and do, but they were all too low level to be a challenge and fun.

No not a lot harder some aspects of combat are a little different ( enemy wise ) . If your looking for challenge ng+ might not be for you unless you invest your time doing contracts above your level .

That or go to your stash and use your lower leveled equivalent .

Last edited:
i don't mind if the contracts are above my level. That's the only thing I hated about my first playthough: being left with all these crappy contracts and quests that I was way overleveled for. I played on the hardest setting too. Is there just no way around that?

I was editing don't know if you caught last bit of post . If you kept your equipment stash wise you could use that also to dumb down your overpowering ability .

Yeah, I think NG+ just isn't for me. I don't like the idea of not using the good gear I have just to counter balancing issues. I might see if there's a trainer or mod or something out there that can lower my level when I want to.

Yeah, I think NG+ just isn't for me. I don't like the idea of not using the good gear I have just to counter balancing issues. I might see if there's a trainer or mod or something out there that can lower my level when I want to.

Theeeeeere's a Combat Redone mod I'm using. For which I cannot find the name. Because it's not listed. On my mods. Argh. ANYway...at least one of the mods out there makes combat tougher. And that's the one I'm using!

Wow, that was less than helpful. BEDTIME.

Don't mean to be an ass but why not just try it out, eh?

EDIT: OK little more helpful.. Started with mastercrafted Ursine and swords build and did alot of damage to enemies. Got Griffin gear, took the potion and changed to signs build and having tons of fun. In NG+ one has all the potions, skillpoint and lots of options and it definetly is a NG+ experience. Death march is challenging at times but not superhard. Focus is on the gear and it's nice to change your build and playing style when feeling like it.

Last edited:
Don't mean to be an ass but why not just try it out, eh?

Because generally when I start something - unless its awful - I see it through and do so thoroughly - and Witcher 3 is a mighty big game and it ain't awful. Gonna take up a whole lot of my life again.

Ah I just read that you level way slower on Death March. On my first playthrough I started on the second hardest and changed it to Death march. Can't remember how long I played on the easier one for, but slower leveling sounds like what I really want.

Last edited:
If you want to play a second round and don't care (or prefer not to) having all the stuff from your first round (finished game) at start, you don't need NG+. If the question is low lvl mobs etc. there are a few mods that scale the grey mobs to your lvl (or a few lvls higher than yours if you are into that challenge) so you will never have grey enemies. The same goes for grey quests. With this mods you can play a normal NG and start a game without any items.

Enemy LVL Scaling Mods:
Enemy Level Scaling
Dynamic Enemy Scaling - Enhaced

No grey Quests:
No Grey Quests

Also, you don't need a trainer for The Witcher 3. You can use the Ingame Debug Console commands (after enabling it with a mod):
Debug Console Enabler
Debug Console Commands

Last edited:
If you're on Pc, I would rather recommend Combat Enhanced mod, than anything else. It changes how you fight, more than simply upscaling enemies: hit them x times more, die from y attacks less and overall spamming of Quen in between.

No. Wait, yes. No!

Well, I guess you're on your own then.

Yeah, I know. I am indeed the worst.

Antaris, those mods sound sweet. Def gonna check em out. Never thought I'd want enemy scaling, as I've never liked that in other games all that much, but there ya go.

Bobo, thanks for pointing that mod out. I'll give it a look too.

If you're on Pc, I would rather recommend Combat Enhanced mod, than anything else. It changes how you fight, more than simply upscaling enemies: hit them x times more, die from y attacks less and overall spamming of Quen in between.

Checked this mod out and it seems pretty amazing. I think I'm going to wait until the first expansion is released though and make sure it works with that. Would suck to play all the way through again with this mod and not be able to use that playthrough in the expansion.

Regarding NG+, I'm on my third and ½ playthough now. My first one I played on "Medium", the second was on Death March, the "third" was on NG+ Death March, and my current and 4th one is on Death March only again.
Unless you make the game more difficult for yourself and dropping your nice mastercrafted gear (I personally started NG+ because I wanted more time with my cool looking gear) you'll have a SUPER easy time. I didn't even have the avoid blows until I met a Chort in Velen that (for some reason) 2-hitted me. Other than that it was such an easy playthough. You'll also have a shit-ton of gold and potions. So progression in those parts are kinda wacked.
I got to level 48 on NG+ (after starting at level 36) and I blew though the quests, I didn't die a single time (the Chort didn't kill me, he just did a HUGE amount of damage. Nothing Quen wont help against.
Unlike Death March normal where I got killed almost every time I made a misstep, which did add a certain feeling for killing monsters. It made me excited.
I didn't feel like I was getting rewarded because I was using my Ursarine sword and armor.
And for some reason (this might just be me not being too used to NG+) All the quests felt so confusing because of the raised level on all of them. If you like the game, I'd strongly recommend playing on normal Death March.
Although, if you wanna play around with diffrent builds. NG+ is a GREAT place to do it. Since you can distibute much more points then you can in non-NG+.
But, alltogether. Witcher 3 is a fantastic game any way you play it. Seeing the crones for the first time gave me the same "hateful" feeling in NG+ and normal. And there is something really cool about wearing that Ursarine armor in Velen, you feel like such a badass.

PS. Does anyone know if scaling mods like the one linked before causes any issues with anchivement or gameplay?

Last edited:
If you start NG+ you will have too many skill points very soon, there are just not enough slots for them. To be honest, if you finish around level 35 you already have (or almost have) enough to max all skill slots so you just need to buy the "reset potion" if you want to change your build, but you will NOT GET STRONGER as you gain levels- i don't like it.

You keep all crafting\ alchemy ingredients, so no point in exploring of any kind.

You keep your gear as well, but only to find out that first random drop will be better than what you have so some typical Temerian sword will be better than your masterful witcher one.

Oponnents may seem to be strong in first few minutes, but after prologue it gets even easier than it was in "normal" gameplay.

Unless you want to experiment with mods i'd recommend starting "regular" game again.

Hearts of Stone is a totally separate story so you can start it at any time. You just have to be over lvl 30 (or the equivalent for NG+). Hope this help with the decision in some way. ^_^

Hearts of Stone is a totally separate story so you can start it at any time. You just have to be over lvl 30 (or the equivalent for NG+). Hope this help with the decision in some way. ^_^

Thanks for the comment. Yeah I think I'm going to wait. Got a few mods that I want to make sure work with the expansion first.

Top Bottom