Box Art

+
Box Art

Cyberpunk 2077 is still in early in development, but i want to talk about the box art. Theres already a thread about collectors edition so.....

CD made this forum to share our ideas with them, so we should talk about the box art.

In the last time there where a lot of trouble in the world of gaming, because most of the games had similar covers.
A good example for this the game Bioshock Infinite. Many gamer didnt like the box art because it looked like every other shooter but thats dumb because its a game with great visual style.

the newest example for a bad box art is Dead Space 3.
The first game was awesome the next titles....not so. That also shows the box art, it looks like every other game.....not like something special.

Also Deus Ex HR looked the same...

I think Cyberpunk 2077 is a special game which should not have a box art that looks like every other game..

How should it look? What do you think?

I think the box should feature an incredibly sexy and beautiful almost naked, very provocative female figure, in the style of the Chromebooks, just to - and let me be clear about this, I mean it would do this on purpose - piss certain people off. :cool:

In fact, if the box art was so edgy that the box itself couldn't be shown just anywhere, that'd be awesome.

Left - NA box art (boring)
Right - EU Box Art (Awesome)

I'm posting this as a good example of how it should and shouldn't be.

I think the box should feature an incredibly sexy and beautiful almost naked, very provocative female figure, in the style of the Chromebooks, just to - and let me be clear about this, I mean it would do this on purpose - piss certain people off. :cool:

In fact, if the box art was so edgy that the box itself couldn't be shown just anywhere, that'd be awesome.

I won't lie, part of me would like this. And who knows it just might happen.

Getting box art to standout and still evoke the game is really tough. For instance, Geralt doesn't actually look 129 yrs old in the game, but that's who we got on the cover of TW2. I wouldn't be surprise if that gaunt, grizzled appearance killed more than a few blind purchases. Then you have the bold, striding male figure - done to fucking death. I have 3 ideas:

-A defiant blade girl, not in her undies, but in an outfit she'd wear on Maxtac duty. Throw in some scars/tears on the armor, a little blood on her face and arm to show she's just been in a scrap. This would really get people's attention.

-One male and one female figure in complementary poses. If we can play both genders, this, from a marketing standpoint might be the best way to go.

-A face or bust length view, turned away and looking back over the shoulder at the viewer, sort of a profile. Profiles catch the eye very well.

* Also, I think Kevin Lavine's justification for the conformity of Bioshock's cover is a cop out.

As much as I like the idea and won't mind a little provocation, as a moderator I would have to hand out chillthefuckoutpants on this forum en masse and take care of the shitstorm we would have here from the moral crusaders, so no, thank you ;)

As much as I like the idea and won't mind a little provocation, as a moderator I would have to hand out chillthefuckoutpants on this forum en masse and take care of the shitstorm we would have here from the moral crusaders, so no, thank you ;)

I have, for once, an original idea - must be the wine hangover -. :p
Let a great WTF! scene be the main cover (smthg like the first artwork we saw; guy ready to draw his gun against a massive machine) and then you flip the cover, and there's the sexy chick cover, for those who want that....

If that would be TOO expensive, the REDs can surely make it only for the Collectors Edition, so as not to piss the publisher's off (you see, Im covering all the bases... ). :p

Chill out MacLeod, :)
I hardly see why a box-cover should change how great or bad your REAL gaming experience is... An example of this are the Witcher games (see above) preeetty standard/weaksauce covers, yet the games are awesome...

Be as it may be, IMHO the box covers are a cosmetic add-on, nothing vital or game-breaking....

You mean for those who want Cyberpunk 2077 to be Cyberpunk 2020? I'm just asking because sexy and beautiful half-naked women are exactly that. Why would it have to change just because some people don't want it?

Let's wait a year or so before we open Pandora's box.

Chill out MacLeod, :)
I hardly see why a box-cover should change how great or bad your REAL gaming experience is... An example of this are the Witcher games (see above) preeetty standard/weaksauce covers, yet the games are awesome...

Be as it may be, IMHO the box covers are a cosmetic add-on, nothing vital or game-breaking....
Let's wait a year or so before we open Pandora's box.

You're right of course, and I'm quite chill here. :)

I just mean that the makers of a Cyberpunk 2020 (2077) product should not have to conform to any political correctness or any "PG" standards for any reason whatsoever. That's all I mean.

As for box covers being cosmetic, and "nothing vital"... Dude. Style over Substance. :cool:

Box art IS politically correctness (you know Parental advisory badge, pegi+++ etc). If there would be something truly edgy, it won't even glance the shelves. I'd rather it'll catch the most wide audience ever, CDP needs it. And the market needs to learn how to make an adult, intriguing free DRM game.

Let me remind you guys of Planescape: Torment. A truly excellent, legendary game, that excelled back then and even now doesn't cease to amaze us, was and still is critically acclaimed, and yet was poorly received by the public and didn't manage to sell well. According to some, one possible cause is the shitty ass game box cover.

Sadly, people still judge books by their cover, so I would not recommend a very controversial one. CDPR's games are very complex and include many different topics, including, yes, sexuality. But choosing this particular domain may actually not be the best choice.

I do like the idea of the game box looking like a Cyberpunk 2020 rule book.

I'd be fine if they did it the way Irrational did with Infinite. Have a generic main cover that attracts the masses for maximum sales and have an awesome reversible cover for the fans.

View attachment 552

Attachments

• cover_close-upDESIGN04.jpg
    cover_close-upDESIGN04.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 96
Top Bottom