Boxed copy question/s

+
Boxed copy question/s

Since I am more interested in getting a physical copy than a digital I was wondering, will the game come with all the goodies such as everything that came with the boxed copy of 2? And every copy will be DRM free except for Steam correct?

And yes no DRM. There will not be a boxed version of Steam. You will have to go to Steam to buy the game digitally, like how it's suppose to be. Steam shouldn't be in a retail box.

styku

Forum regular
I have already bought a collectors edition but the thing is... I do not have an optical drive in my notebook. Silly me.
Do you guys know if there will be a chance to download the game (like: legally, using a CD key or order reference or whatever) while having a physical copy?

Last edited:
you can buy an external drive via ebay and connect it with usb to your notebook, it's small and you can carry that in a bag
doesn't costs that much , 10-20 euro more or less excluded

styku

Forum regular
Sure, I know that. But that doesn't change much - I don't need that kind of stuff, Witcher games are basically the only ones I want to own also physically. I will not be needing an OD for anything else. So the option to actually download a copy from GOG (as it was the case with W1 and W2 I believe, but some time after the release) would be a very nice thing.

Sure, I know that. But that doesn't change much - I don't need that kind of stuff, Witcher games are basically the only ones I want to own also physically. I will not be needing an OD for anything else. So the option to actually download a copy from GOG (as it was the case with W1 and W2 I believe, but some time after the release) would be a very nice thing.

In the collector edition you'll get a gog key to donwload it.

styku

Forum regular
In the collector edition you'll get a gog key to donwload it.
Thanks! I am pretty sure this was stated when the collectors edition was announced, but couldn't find this listed among the "included stuff" while completing the order.

Was that confirmed for all copies, or only those sold on cdp.pl?

Not yet but since the question was "will there be a digital game key inside of the Collector's Edition" and the answer was "yes" I think we can assume that it will be the case for all copies, I don't see them making different packaging depending on the retailer, especially not considering the politic of CDPR concerning preorder bonuses and exclusivity

The Witcher 3 at retail will have no DRM. So no codes. Please don't expect to get a code. Putting a code into the retail box means that you getting two games. Maybe CDPR is ok with giving away a free game with every retail copy but I highly doubt that. CDPR has said that they have no plans for far for another back-up program. That means no codes in the box and don't expect to get any codes because you bought the retail version. If there is a code in the box, I and other, will just sell that code or sell the retail disc.

If you have a problem with a dvd-rom and you have no friends or work PC or you can get no access to someone with a working DVD-rom or you don't want to buy the really cheap dvd-rom drive, then maybe the collector's edition is not for you.

If you must have the collector's edition. Then you will have to buy the digital gog version online as well.

You not going to get a backup code with any NON-DRM retail copy of The Witcher 3. Best bet for you is to buy the digital version or install the game at a friends house and copy the files.

Last edited:
The Witcher 3 at retail will have no DRM. So no codes. Please don't expect to get a code. Putting a code into the retail box means that you getting two games.
Wait, what? Where did you get that from? It's license that matters, not the number of copies. Following your logic, a DRM-free digital copy gives you unlimited number of free copies. No, it does not, at least legally. Nothing stops CDPR from giving you both physical and digital version tied to the same license.

If you have a problem with a dvd-rom and you have no friends or work PC or you can get no access to someone with a working DVD-rom or you don't want to buy the really cheap dvd-rom drive, then maybe the collector's edition is not for you.
Dude, your logic has some serious flaws. Do you see me ranting about this or something? I just politely asked the question, and mentioned that I got the collectors edition anyway.

The Witcher 3 at retail will have no DRM. So no codes. Please don't expect to get a code. Putting a code into the retail box means that you getting two games. Maybe CDPR is ok with giving away a free game with every retail copy but I highly doubt that. CDPR has said that they have no plans for far for another back-up program. That means no codes in the box and don't expect to get any codes because you bought the retail version. If there is a code in the box, I and other, will just sell that code or sell the retail disc.

If you must have the collector's edition. Then you will have to buy the digital gog version online as well.

You not going to get a backup code with any NON-DRM retail copy of The Witcher 3. Best bet for you is to buy the digital version or install the game at a friends house and copy the files.

You are seriously underestimating CDPR, the collector edition will get a GOG key, it's official, at least if you nought the Collecotr Edition from the CDPR online shop in poland:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...tcher-3-News?p=1602322&viewfull=1#post1602322

And I think your tone is a little harsh, please keep it cool.

You are seriously underestimating CDPR, the collector edition will get a GOG key, it's official, at least if you nought the Collecotr Edition from the CDPR online shop in poland:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...tcher-3-News?p=1602322&viewfull=1#post1602322

And I think your tone is a little harsh, please keep it cool.

In fairness, until a week or so ago, the GOG site explicitly said that there would be no GOG backup copy for retail sales, then there was that message from cdp.pl...
So who knows. There's been no official word on any of this.

CDPR releasing in Poland will be the same as the rest of the world? I'm sure CDPR just wants to add more value for the Polish. Like giving away the game for free. Or in this case making the collector's edition cheaper to those who are going to sell the code or retail game.

Buying digital is not the same as buying DRM-FREE retail. If you buy from GOG you get one game. If you buy from retail you get one games. If you get a DRM-FREE retail game and a code with it, it means you get two copies of the game. The retail copy and the digital copy. If that is the case, I will only need one copy, I will sell the other copy, most likely the digital copy. So that would mean the standard edition would end up close to break even and the collector's edition will cost a lot less.
I don't think retail nor CDPR is going to fit the bill for that.

Why won't CDPR just add Steam and GOG codes into the retail box. Then I can get double back for what I paid for the game. That's like CDPR giving me money to buy their game. lol. Not going to happen.

My logic is flawed lol. Just buy a cheap dvd-rom. Then you sorted. But you looking for a handout. lol. DVD-roms are so damn cheap. You can buy like 3 dvd-roms for the price of a gog code. lol. But you want that code for free because you don't want to buy a dvd-rom. That's not CDPR's problem. Don't make it theirs.

Last edited:
My logic is flawed lol. Just buy a cheap dvd-rom. Then you sorted. But you looking for a handout. lol. DVD-roms are so damn cheap. You can buy like 3 dvd-roms for the price of a gog code. lol. But you want that code for free because you don't want to buy a dvd-rom. That's not CDPR's problem. Don't make it theirs.
AFAIK I am not obliged to provide you with my personal motivations while asking a really simple question which you can answer just "yes" or "no".
If you really want to know the background story, there you go:
CE bought in Poland. I am currently working on a short-term contract in Switzerland. Don't want CDPR to ship CE to Geneva as it comes in a big-ass box and that would be a problem for me to take it back home, as I have a lot of things to pack as it is. In Poland I would just ask someone to pick up the parcel and mail me the code for digital copy. The lack of OD adds to this. Happy now?
This is not a matter of money, this is about how much trouble will I have to get through to install the game. If I have to buy an OD only for TW3, I'll just buy a second copy on GOG instead so my money will go to CDPR, not an OD retailer.
I will not comment on the rest of your post, as it is just invalid both in terms on how licenses work and how CDPR behaved with their other games.

Last edited:
Given the current uncertainty after that cdp.pl post, it's reasonable for anyone to be asking the question about GOG codes. Unlike Steam codes, there is a precedent.
So I'd like to remind everyone that courtesy is expected in these forums. One post has been deleted.

Disregard this post, it lost its context.

I am as happy as I can possibly be with CDPR, never stated otherwise. However, being happy still allows me to ask questions, doesn't it?
This is not a matter of money, this is about how much trouble will I have to get through to install the game. If I have to buy an OD only for TW3, I'll just buy a second copy on GOG instead so my money will go to CDPR, not an OD retailer.

Last edited:
The other option, which would be cost-free, would be to use some other PC to copy the disk onto a flashdrive, if that's a practical solution.

The other option, which would be cost-free, would be to use some other PC to copy the disk onto a flashdrive, if that's a practical solution.

I think there is no need to come to this, according to the post i shared above there is only one place to preorder the CE in poland, cdp.pl and @styku preorder it in poland so his CE is supposed to have a gog key if I am not mistaken.

Top Bottom