Boxed copy question/s

+
The other option, which would be cost-free, would be to use some other PC to copy the disk onto a flashdrive, if that's a practical solution.
As I've elaborated on my motivations before, the bigger problem is me being in Switzerland and CE being in Poland. Though partially you're right, I can have someone copy the game onto a flashdrive and mail it to me, so I am not troubled with large-sized luggage after I leave. Though, buying additional GOG copy would be less troublesome, especially for the 3rd person I'm going to nag about it ;)

oh they love to delete my comments.
Well, if that happens often I guess you could've already taken a hint.

I told this guy not to expect codes. Which is fair. And then I give him suggestions to help him out. He doesn't want all that shit. He wants a code. If I bought the collector's edition and I was not at home, in a different country. I would be making plans for who ever receives the box to post me the game, if I had no access to internet to download the digital game, which I am also buying.

Just saying don't rely on free codes. I even explained why not to expect codes. Buy the digital copy, simple solution. But I'm attacking this person? lol.

Let's try this one. removed the swear words

Last edited by a moderator:
@Persei8: By attacking, I don't think Mods meant using swearwords against someone. I guess it is about the tone and the way you're discussing. It's not particularly offensive, just a lot of people (including me), consider it as simply rude.
This, and the fact that you're not really trying to help. You're clearly aggravated (for some unknown reason) by the fact that I dare to ask such a question (ask, not demand!).

@Persei8: By attacking, I don't think Mods meant using swearwords against someone. I guess it is about the tone and the way you're discussing. It's not particularly offensive, just a lot of people (including me), consider it as simply rude.
This, and the fact that you're not really trying to help. You're clearly aggravated (for some unknown reason) by the fact that I dare to ask such a question (ask, not demand!).

As you say, it was nothing to do with the swear words. :)

Anyway, yes, it's a reasonable question. The only problem is that a day ago, we'd have answered with certainty that no, you won't get a GOG code, at least at launch. But now it's less clear.

two question about boxed edition for PC

hi at all. i ordered the boxed edition for pc :D i have only two question about it:
1) the disks will be dvd or blu-ray?
2) there is some code to use on gog or steam or both? for download it in case i lose my disk, or other similar problem
thanks a lot for the help!

1) the disks will be dvd or blu-ray?
Well, it wasn't clearly stated I think, but we can safely assume that will be DVDs, as blu-ray didn't really make it as a standard for the PC.

2) there is some code to use on gog or steam or both? for download it in case i lose my disk, or other similar problem
thanks a lot for the help!
If you'd have read at least 3 previous posts in this topic, you'd know that... we don't know ;)
The only problem is that a day ago, we'd have answered with certainty that no, you won't get a GOG code, at least at launch. But now it's less clear.

If you'd have read at least 3 previous posts in this topic, you'd know that... we don't know ;)
Easy there, I just moved his post to this topic since it was relevant and we don't want to fragment similar discussions over 10 topics. He probably hasn't seen this thread yet.

Oh and since the XB1 preload has gone live, the reported size of the download is 25GB so now you can make your DVD number assumptions with a little room for differences.

Well, it wasn't clearly stated I think, but we can safely assume that will be DVDs, as blu-ray didn't really make it as a standard for the PC.

thanks, i din't saw this topic XD i really hope that they will give us a code. if not, how we will download the dlc?

Easy there, I just moved his post to this topic since it was relevant and we don't want to fragment similar discussions over 10 topics. He probably hasn't seen this thread yet.
Sorry for the wrong assumption, @Ansem93
There's no indication that the post was moved from a different thread, or I just couldn't notice one.
I am also hoping for the GOG code. Digital backups for TW1 and TW2 were of great use to me many times.

Anyway, 25GB of preload should fit on 3 DVD9s.

Ok just to refresh. When I made my comment Poland was not mentioned. But I still see people saying things are not clear, when things are very much clear.

Let's recap.
The Witcher 3 boxed retail collector's edition all over the world except for Poland will not come with a GOG or Steam code.
The Witcher 3 boxed retail standard edition all over the world will not come with a GOG or Steam code.

CDP are self publishing in Poland and they can do what they want. If they want to add extra value into the retail collector's edition, that's their business. The collector's edition in Poland will be on a small scale compared to the world, so adding an "extra game" GOG code wouldn't effect them too much.

So. The Witcher 3 retail collector's edition in Poland will come with a GOG code.
The Witcher 3 retail standard edition in Poland will not come with a GOG code.

As I said before. The Witcher 3 at retail will not have DRM so it's install and play, one game. Adding a GOG or Steam code, is getting the digital version of the game, in other words, another game. In doing so, the retail disc or the code can then be sold off by users. Which is not a smart move. A $60 game is then turned into a $10 game because the disc or code was sold off. Not smart at all.

CDPR has also said that there are no plans, at least for now, for backup codes for The Witcher 3. That means no digital backup codes in the box.

So it's pretty clear.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
First of all I am not a nativ speaker....
I have ordered the DVD (standard version) via Amazon (because ~50GB DL...) and even though I read this thread I am somehow to stupid to understand what consequences this will have for me. Will owners of the physical disc ("retail", right?) be able to download the 16 DLCs and will they be able to somehow get (DL, retail maybe?) the announced addons as well? Or can I not get the addons if I do not own a Steam or GoG version ?
Bit confused here an thinking about cancelling my preorder on amazon....
Thanks in advance!

Ok just to refresh. When I made my comment Poland was not mentioned. But I still see people saying things are not clear, when things are very much clear.

No, it's still an open question. We do not know the background to the cdp.pl post, we don't know if this is "Poland only" or if it reflects an overall change, and until we do, please avoid spreading further uncertainties as "fact".

@Kornerkid83 - Yes, they will be available for you. If you've ordered the physical disk, the DLCs will be available either from GOG or from this site (it hasn't been stated which). Definitely not from Steam, that will be the delivery method only for those who bought the game itself from Steam.

It works like this.

If you buy The Witcher 3 you will get the 16 free DLC, no matter which version you have bought. If you buy the game before or after the game has launched, you still get the 16 free DLC.

If you have bought the retailed boxed PC dvd version, then you can download the 16 free DLC from GOG.com.
If you buy the game from Steam then you can download the 16 free DLC from Steam.
PS4 and Xbox One games, the 16 free DLC can be downloaded from PSN and Xbox Live.

The second part is the 2 paid for expansions. If you buy the PC retail boxed dvd version, then you will have to go to GOG.com to buy the expansions and download them from GOG.com.
Witcher 3 from Steam, you will have to buy the expansions from Steam and download them from Steam.
PS4 and Xbox One. You will have to buy the expansions from PSN and Xbox live and download from them.

We are still hoping that at some point in the future, the expansions and DLC will be sold at retail, meaning no downloading. But that might only happen after the expansions are released digitally.

So to answer your question. You have bought the retail PC dvd version, you install and play the game. Every week after release, you will have to go to GOG.com to download the free DLC.
The paid for expansion DLC, can be bought now from GOG.com. In 6 months the first expansion will be released and then you go to GOG.com to buy and download that expansion. The next expansion will be released next year, 2016, then you go to GOG.com to buy and download that expansion.

I hope I made it clear for you.

Allright now I got it, sounds fair and logical. That was a very detailed explanation :)
Thank you very much, both of you!

Mmhh I'm sure this is just a small mistake but does anyone know why there is another disc visible for the Xbox One Version when comparing the three Collectors Editions at http://buy.thewitcher.com/ ?

Maybe they just inserted the Soundtrack CD twice in the picture, but i thought I just ask to be sure. ^^

Mmhh I'm sure this is just a small mistake but does anyone know why there is another disc visible for the Xbox One Version when comparing the three Collectors Editions at http://buy.thewitcher.com/ ?

Maybe they just inserted the Soundtrack CD twice in the picture, but i thought I just ask to be sure. ^^

I've a vague memory that it was noticed at the time, that there was no official answer, and the general view was that it was just a mistake.
Given that the download installation size probably wasn't known then anyway, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the number of disks in ANY of the photos.

Think of it like. There is a base image for the collector's edition. Then Microsoft came and wanted more. The image was changed for marketing to show the more. So on the site, they just added the new image on top of the old base image.

It's the same soundtrack disc used in different positions with different marketing images. Just now there is an image that shows where both soundtrack discs were placed. So not a new disc.

It works like this.

If you buy The Witcher 3 you will get the 16 free DLC, no matter which version you have bought. If you buy the game before or after the game has launched, you still get the 16 free DLC.

If you have bought the retailed boxed PC dvd version, then you can download the 16 free DLC from GOG.com.
If you buy the game from Steam then you can download the 16 free DLC from Steam.
PS4 and Xbox One games, the 16 free DLC can be downloaded from PSN and Xbox Live.

The second part is the 2 paid for expansions. If you buy the PC retail boxed dvd version, then you will have to go to GOG.com to buy the expansions and download them from GOG.com.
Witcher 3 from Steam, you will have to buy the expansions from Steam and download them from Steam.
PS4 and Xbox One. You will have to buy the expansions from PSN and Xbox live and download from them.

We are still hoping that at some point in the future, the expansions and DLC will be sold at retail, meaning no downloading. But that might only happen after the expansions are released digitally.

So to answer your question. You have bought the retail PC dvd version, you install and play the game. Every week after release, you will have to go to GOG.com to download the free DLC.
The paid for expansion DLC, can be bought now from GOG.com. In 6 months the first expansion will be released and then you go to GOG.com to buy and download that expansion. The next expansion will be released next year, 2016, then you go to GOG.com to buy and download that expansion.

I hope I made it clear for you.
i'm pretty disappointed about that. i ordered the collector edition, but still is very disappointing to have no way for have a backup. For all the people that will buy the boxed edition, how they can do a backup of their dvd?

Top Bottom