Boxed copy question/s

+
i'm pretty disappointed about that. i ordered the collector edition, but still is very disappointing to have no way for have a backup. For all the people that will buy the boxed edition, how they can do a backup of their dvd?

There's nothing to stop people making a backup. Copy the DVD onto another DVD, or onto a hard drive or flash drive.

i'm pretty disappointed about that. i ordered the collector edition, but still is very disappointing to have no way for have a backup. For all the people that will buy the boxed edition, how they can do a backup of their dvd?
Create an image of disc? Copy data from disc onto HDD/flashdrive/external drive?

Concerning back-ups.

If you are like me then backing up retail discs won't be necessary. I take care of my discs. I still install and play GTA 3 and Sim City4, among others, like every year. Never had a problem.

The Witcher 3. You can make a copy the game's install files onto new discs to use till those copied discs wears out. Then you will have the original discs.
You can copy install files onto HDD.
So there are ways you can back-up discs if you really need to. Or just take care of your discs, like I do.

Then there are digital back-ups. A digital version of the game that is tired to an account, forever. In The Witcher 3's case, for the immediate future, you will have to purchase the digital version, if you are looking for a digital back-up.

You are getting the collector's edition. You can install and play the game. The discs will not be needed while you play the game. So after installing, just store the discs in a safe place. You will be taking long to play through the game. So your discs are not going to wear out anytime soon. Years and your discs will still be fine.

If you really need a digital back-up, buy the digital gog version. If price is an issue, wait a few months and buy it on a special price. It's just a back-up, you won't need it to play the game, if you have bought the retail dvd version.

In my opinion some strange reasoning. That is, if I buy a boxed version, where I'll swing patches and stuff?) Like in 1997? with the site? Sure to be a code for GOG.com otherwise it just does not make sense in our severe time)

In my opinion some strange reasoning. That is, if I buy a boxed version, where I'll swing patches and stuff?) Like in 1997? with the site? Sure to be a code for GOG.com otherwise it just does not make sense in our severe time)
i agree. the easiest thing is to install the game with DVD,then bind it to gog account,without any code. so that patches and DLCs will be automatically downloaded

Do I have to repeat myself and get banned yet again?

The simplest thing for retail buyers is to just install and play the game. If a retail buyer feels the need to update the game or wanting to download the DLC, the simplest thing to do is to go to GOG.com and download the patches and DLC and update the game. Simple really.

If you want the auto downloads and auto patches and auto what ever, then you should just go buy the Steam version from Steam.

Don't try to make the retail dvd boxed version into a Steam version. As I said so many times before. Adding a code into the retail box means that the retail box or the code can then be sold off, which is not a smart move.

How much money does CDP and other publishers need to lose in order to, this is the part where I get banned. So I will stop. If the PC retail version is not the version you looking for. Then just go buy the Steam or GOG version.

I am happy with how the retail PC boxed version is is. I am happy that I can just install and play. I am happy that there are no codes in the box. And I'm sure there are a lot of offline gamers who are happy with the way the PC retail boxed version is. No internet needed to play the game. If there was a code they will just sell it and the game would be much cheaper. And we don't want people to sell the games or codes.

this is the part where I get banned. So I will stop.
Love it ;)

And regarding the backup code, I think you are seeing it the wrong way. Consider this:
TW3 is not an indie title. It's not a small, irrelevant game. Right now it's a really big thing, competing with the greatest titles. And yet, CDPR decides to release it without ANY DRMs. This is a precedence nowadays. They're allowing pirates to spread the game without any effort. No cracking, no tinkering, just uploading and seeding. So the way I see it, they've been already taking (and taken before, with TW2) a big risk. They assumed that players will be honest and fair with them (and I think they were mostly right).
In comparison to this, to releasing a big title with no DRM whatsoever, giving a backup code (backup, not an additional license!) is not really such a big decision, honestly. If someone is so disrespectful to buy the game and sell the backup code (which he wouldn't be legally allowed to do), there's nothing stopping him just from uploading the files or copying the disk. And on the other hand, there are people willing to buy the backup copy from illegal source. Giving money to the player, not to the developer. There is nothing stopping them from getting a game from torrents, also.
See what I mean? CDPR just trusts players. Lack of DRM is a huge proof of this. Comparing to this, backup code is really a small step. Though, of course, it is completely up to them if they want to add it or not, and no one should blame them if they decide not to. They've already done a lot for players just by removing DRM.

That is, if I buy a boxed version, where I'll swing patches and stuff?
The same way as it works in Witcher 2? You run the launcher/game and it checks for updates and asks to download if there is one. What has that got to do with going to any site? It's an auto-updater why would you think that isn't the case anymore?

There is a license for retail, PC, Xbox One, PS4.
There is a license for digital, GOG, Steam, PSN, Xbox Live, Origin.

Just because you have bought the PC retail game, doesn't mean you can now get GOG codes, Steam codes, PSN codes, Origin codes, ect.
Just because you have bought the PC retail game doesn't mean you can now get the Xbox One game and the PS4 game because you have a PC retail license.

PC retail license and the gog digital license is not the same license. You can't buy the PC retail game and just expect to get the digital GOG game. Please understand that. Because it seems that is where your issue lays. The GOG license is different to the Steam license which is different to the retail license.
Yes most PC games comes with a Steam license but now with The Witcher 3 that is different.

Selling of codes. If it's legal or not legal, people will still sell the codes or the retail game. I am already seeing people selling the Nvidia promotion code.
That is what happens when you give people two licenses, they will sell the one. The selling of codes or the game if they get the code, is very much real, for a lot of people. No codes should be in the retail PC box and you shouldn't expect it.

Then you mentioned piracy. Piracy is what is known as your non buying audience. If you focus too much on people who will not be buying your products and you forget about the people who actually buys your products or if you make it hard and unpleasant for them, then people who buys your product will stop buying your products.
The gaming industry is moving away from focus on us buyers to focus on non buyers and it's going to bite them in the arse.

Now, studies have found out that consumers who part take in pirated media such as movies and video games, they buy more movies and video games than those consumers who don't part take in pirated media such as movies and video games.
What does this mean for The Witcher 3. The Witcher 3 is going to see really high piracy numbers, not because there are more people wanting to pirate the game because of DRM-FREE but because most of the pirate circle is going to want to download the game. As you said it's not just some indie game. So concerning the piracy scene, it is important that The Witcher 3 gets high numbers of piracy because it will lead to more sales.

At best Piracy is free advertising. I know The Witcher 3 is going to get high piracy numbers, much more than Witcher 2 got. And I do believe that if The Witcher 3 is a good game, which it should be, in other games, if The Witcher 3 is worth buying and these pirates (non buying) gets to play the game and see how good it is, it will lead to more sales. Studies can confirm this.
So don't be scared of the pirates. If you a good product such as The Witcher 3, pirates are going to buy the game, at some point at least. If you play video games and you get your hands onto something good that was pirated, you will want to buy it and own it. Pirated media is not owning a product. The Witcher 3, you going to want to own it. Well if it's good at least.

The Witcher 3, you just going to want to own it. So if you must have a back-up copy, buy the digital version / license.

Unnecessary lecture about piracy - you know this, I know this and surely CDPR knows this. Nevertheless, the decision to go DRM free was both revolutionary and risky, there should not be an argument on that. And it was based on a belief that pirates will eventually buy the game to support the developer. Which, to a great extent, stands true.
PC retail license and the gog digital license is not the same license. You can't buy the PC retail game and just expect to get the digital GOG game. Please understand that. Because it seems that is where your issue lays.
Definitely, this is where the issue lays. Recall how it was with TW1 and TW2. Backup codes for both of them where issued eventually. But the licenses where tied to a physical copy, or at least that's how it was in Poland.
If I recall correctly, with your boxed game you were given some registration code, that you could redeem for some digital or physical bonuses on a CDPR website. Basically, this was a confirmation that you bought their product. And of course it was completely optional, so it had nothing to do with DRM. Some time later, based on this registration code, connection to a CDPR account, or whatever, they just gave you a backup copy. Although it was on GOG, it wasn't an additional license - it was tied to the product you purchased by an order id, registration code or some similar means (can't really recall the wording, it was some time ago).
To sum it up: they make the rules. They decide what kind of license they will provide you with, and if they decide to give you a license for a backup copy that is viable for use by the person that purchased the boxed version, that's entirely up to them, as they define how their licenses work.
Of course dishonest people will try to sell/buy them, that is to be expected. But this is the same with pirates, some of them will be dishonest, and will actually never pay for the game. So if you want to be a dishonest person from the start, why would you pay to some other dishonest person? Why not just download a game and be dishonest for free?
*exchange "dishonest" with any word you wish

Remember that "license" is something virtual, and without DRM there's nothing enforcing you to obey it. Well, at least not directly and immediately.

Anyway, there is nothing more to be discussed on this matter I think. I know what you're trying to point out, but the past has already proven you wrong (backup codes for the past 2 Witcher games weren't "additional" copies), and we are littering a thread about something else, drifting more an more off the topic.

Last edited:
The easiest way in the boxed version to be the key to bind to GOG.com, this is a no-drm, yes, and almost all retailers boxed say that inside is the key to Gog.

The discussion is getting far too argumentative, and repetitive. Several posts have just been deleted, further posts will also be deleted unless they're contributing something new to the discussion.

Regarding "linking to GOG", I'd like to remind EVERYONE that there will be no DRM on the retail version. That means that there will NOT be a mandatory registration at GOG. Regarding patches and downloading the DLC, and whether or not there will be a free GOG backup at some time, everyone needs to wait and see how it will be handled.

Discuss how you think it SHOULD be all you want, but please don't give absolute statements on how it WILL be unless you work for CDPR.

Last edited:
If boxed versions come with a gog code then gog should have to send boxed copies to all the ones who paid for the digital one...

Said that I think we need an official explanation of this little messy subject, activation date, having dlcs at gog but not the game is gonna be odd...

Top Bottom