Boxing Is Actually Fun

+
oh, my bad. Just did a search for Viktor and I thought you were talking about someone else....lol
Post automatically merged:

Can I box with mantis blades?

Last edited:
View attachment 11149364
Remember Witcher 1, 2, and 3 's fist fighting? They were not that great to me, but here in CyberPunk 2077 I think CDPR are on to something. The boxing quests are engaging, the characters have different scenarios and rewards. I looked forward to each fight, as I knew it would be interesting. The fights can be challenging even with Gorilla arms ( although I was not fully spec'd out for melee). It's the same sort of premise dodge, block, heavy attack, Jab combos, but CyberPunk does it better somehow. It's not that bad, not perfect.

Also Viktor shows up happy and proud in your final fight, which made me happy. I hope we get more of this kind of quests in CP2077, because they did a good job this time around with the boxing missions and I want more of this kind of stuff.
Not gonna attack you for your opinion, but I wholeheartedly disagree.. I actually felt the melee combat was very poorly done here. The fistfights in witcher 2 were bad, yes. But Witcher 3 atleast too player skill.. Cyberpunk takes player skill, but the player is fighting the camera, wonky controls/hitboxes, terrible balancing, and melee combat that has zero weight, reaction, or feedback. When I hit an enemy with a baseball bat, I want to see and feel them recoil. (feel can be done many ways. Through sound, controller vibration, screen shake, enemy recoil, seeing body parts specifically injured/removed) None of this happens here

Vermintide, while not a favorite game of mine by any stretch, does atleast do a pretty good job of providing weight, and feedback with melee combat. Kingdom Come Deliverance tried something very new, and actually did a great job of it! Cyberpunk seems to use old tech, from the early era of first person gaming.

I technically like the boxing in-game. You can aim for certain parts, block, counter, dodge, light and heavy attacks, combos, possibly stunning opponents, I think it has a bit more substance than in Witcher. You can read the opponents and can predict what the next attack would be as they are telegraphing them very well.

However, with all that said, as far as practical application, it's very unenjoyable:
- enemies two-hit you no matter what;
- you sliver off their health making you feel like a fly (though real boxing matches can last a while, it's not because one of the enemies can just soak up hundred punches, it's because most hits are blocked or dodged);
- blocks didn't work for some reason after my first fight, every opponent's punch went straight through the block regardless my stamina;
- counters don't work apart from the first fight, you counter properly and hit your opponent for 1 damage, but you are KO-ed at the same time and match is over as for some reason you take full damage from the hit anyway;
- dodging doesn't work, opponent just changes direction mid-punch and homes in on you through half the ring, so you need to keep dodging two-three times in succession to avoid getting hit;
- some opponents heal up mid-fight and nobody bats an eyelash (slow regen wouldn't be an issue, you also get quite a fast regen with the correct perks, however because of all the reasons above, it is plain stupid).

Currently the only viable tactic is to stunlock opponents with heavy punches or use Sandevistan, because no other way to avoid damage works.

I think when they fix it, it will be actually very enjoyable. In a year or two. Hopefully.

Counter and block work. Maybe you don't have enough body stat, or maybe you don't have enough stamina, or maybe your game is bugged

In my experience, boxing is one of the most broken things still remaining in the game.

Something is seriously wrong in these missions, it might be that the game is not calculating my stats/cyber at all.

Opponent threat level: low
I have 17 body and 20 reflex. My heavy strike does 1% of damage on this "low threat" opponent, they do 50% of my health bar damage to me on one hit. They strikes cannot be dodged (they literally just swivel and track you). They can only be parried. Blocking their strikes does like 25% of my health bar as damage.

This CANNOT be correct. Its bugged in more ways than one. These missions are unplayable.

(Not to mention a mission once removed my ability to jump and it didn't come back even after leaving the mission area)
ps. PC.

Opponent threat level: low
I have 17 body and 20 reflex. My heavy strike does 1% of damage on this "low threat" opponent, they do 50% of my health bar damage to me on one hit. They strikes cannot be dodged (they literally just swivel and track you). They can only be parried. Blocking their strikes does like 25% of my health bar as damage.

This is probably a bug, 17 body should be enough, but I did it at 20 body so I'm not 100% sure. But it may be intentional that you can't block an attack from an heavyweight boxer champion if you don't have a very high body stat. Do you have any talent that increase stamina and reduce stamina cost for blocking attacks? They were able to 2-3 shot me too, even at 20 body 1100 health and -20% damage reduction from talents and cyberware, but fights were very easy anyway because I was able to block and counterattack without taking damage.

The irony of the boxing mini-quests is that these are literally the only opponents in the game that scale with you. Whether you're level 5 or level 50, you'll still get floored in 2 hits. And the damage you inflict on them is a joke since their health bars are borderline ridiculous. So in some respect, they've done something right with the opponents.

But it may be intentional that you can't block an attack from an heavyweight boxer champion if you don't have a very high body stat.

Could be, but it is in direct contradiction with the fact that you can't dodge them either. That makes no sense, and feels like something has been messed up probably unintentionally. It would be somewhat acceptable if you could dodge their strikes like in REAL boxing.

50% damage per hit from a NPC that I have greatly outleveled is not right. That is just not believable.

Guest 4519094

funny how there's still people claiming you can't do things
that others here have shown in videos like blocking dodging .. or even having fun!

funny how there's still people claiming you can't do things
that others here have shown in videos like blocking dodging .. or even having fun!

I dont know about you, but I can only speak for myself and my own experiences. I'm saying boxing missions are messed up, simply by virtue of being 100 times harder than any other combat in the game, including bossfights, and thus most likely result of some manner of glitch.

In most everything else: I can fart in enemies general direction and they drop dead - while the boxers take away half my health in one hit when I have 17 body and legendary armor, then that is not balanced. My biggest issue is that fact that the strikes cannot be dodged. Trust me, I know. I know when dodge is succesful cause I have bloody kerenzikov. Then they swivel 45 degrees and track me with their punch.

DC9V

Forum veteran
I've discovered this place after the first box fight. I tried to go there before but
I literally wasn't able to climb the ladder.

photomode_21012021_055322.png

I liked the boxing, the last fight was kinda screwy though. I thought there'd be a lot more.

There are only three fights, three race events etc. It feels like it's just the beginning of something, rather than having a completeness feel to it.

Yes to more fights.

There are six fights, though. So you missed half of them, if you only participated in three. :p

I absolutely hated how that quest ended.
It was probably the most anticlimatic ending to a quest I've ever got. They hyped the final fight, everyone was there, there was a crowd. You win and you get some nice comment from Vic and that's it. Total let down.

I absolutely hated how that quest ended.
It was probably the most anticlimatic ending to a quest I've ever got. They hyped the final fight, everyone was there, there was a crowd. You win and you get some nice comment from Vic and that's it. Total let down.
Tell me about it. I actually reloaded and re-did the fight, because I thought it was bugged. :rolleyes:

There are six fights, though. So you missed half of them, if you only participated in three. :p
I checked completed missions last night, I remember doing 4 now, I forgot about the fight on the basketball court for the guy's car.

I really wanted to punch that kid out who was controlling the fighter with the healing stomach muscles. I think the kid was controlling the fighter, not sure.

Top Bottom