Braenn needs a fix to be a Gold worthy card

+
The general card architecture seems to be: If x condition is not satisfied, the value should be a one or two points lesser than provision - but if condition is satisfied, the card gets one or two more points more than the provision

Ves has a deploy power of 7 for 8 provisions [and Zeal as an award if the card survives], but Braenn has a deploy power of 4 for 7 and no extra award if the condition is met or if the card survives

The Tweak: The card should deal 2 charge on deploy - and if condition was met, add two more else give 2 charges the next turn

The card is awarded for surviving [Ves] and isn't a complete waste it removed. Now it's a **6 for 7** card or an **8 for 7** card, which seems reasonable with regards to power to provision ratio.

An alternative could to be to make it less prone to removal and boost it to 5 at 7 provisions. This could be compared to Skellen, except the lack of power ceiling of Skellen's could be compared to ST's Scorch or other synergies

rrc

Forum veteran
While I generally want ST to be buffed and make them competent, I fee that Braenn is fine as she is now (after the expansion. Now, she out right sucks). Gwent always considers 1 ping damage more valuable than one-shot big damage. What I mean is, three times 1 damage is much more valuable than one 3 damage. You can align units for some other cards (Scorch, G:I, Regis, Epidemic) with 1-pings. That is why Milean's ST special attribute is damage 4 enemies by 1 as alternate deploy ability otherwise, she is just a cheap copy of that Ifrit (ideally faction specific cards should have better provision to power if they have the same condition. She is 8 for 9, the same as Ifrit, because she can do 4 1-ping on units). Eithnè is even remotely playable due to her on demand 1-ping damages to align for other cards.

So, I think Braenn is fine with her meeting the provision cost as she is doing 1-ping damages. Look at Udalryk an Brovkar (from SK). He does 6 for 6 with three 1-pings with order, gaining Zeal for BT2. [Mandatory SK rant: So, if SK doesn't give more for a similar card, you can forget about getting it for ST, and in fact, be happy that it is at least now the same. She was 7 for 8, as ST is supposed to be - weaker and junker than other factions. At least now she is equal to SK standard. Rejoice her for that.]

I thought about the same thing yesterday when looking at her, but I came to the same conclusion as rrc that those 1 damage pings can be pretty powerful. In particular since there will probably quite a lot of Deathblow cards for which Braenn offers the perfect support.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
While I generally want ST to be buffed and make them competent, I fee that Braenn is fine as she is now (after the expansion. Now, she out right sucks). Gwent always considers 1 ping damage more valuable than one-shot big damage. What I mean is, three times 1 damage is much more valuable than one 3 damage. You can align units for some other cards (Scorch, G:I, Regis, Epidemic) with 1-pings. That is why Milean's ST special attribute is damage 4 enemies by 1 as alternate deploy ability otherwise, she is just a cheap copy of that Ifrit (ideally faction specific cards should have better provision to power if they have the same condition. She is 8 for 9, the same as Ifrit, because she can do 4 1-ping on units). Eithnè is even remotely playable due to her on demand 1-ping damages to align for other cards.
[...]
While I agree with the first part I have to admit that I feel Eithne is undervalued and an equalizing Scorch Finisher can be insane, not to mention that Shiruu can do insane work with a little help of a buff of 1 point/ reducing 1-2 units by 1 to scorch like 3 units.
I have to add that a well time Shiruu is a complete blowout against Monsters (when they try to setup Thrive units and the Thrive mechanic necessarily equalizes them to maximize the work of it).
Honestly Scorch and Shiruu can easily demolish Monster decks, while Eithne can (as you mentioned above) enable a Regis, which rivals a DD.
With the expansion I am feeling that Eithne will get a lot better, given that missing links (e.g. via Greak Oak) get added, so the deck can keep up and is not forced to give up a finisher too early.

She is perfectly fine, specially now when we will see a lot of new dryads in the upcoming expansion. ^^

Also I like her ability a lot in its current state (yeah the zeal was useless before, but it will not be useless anymore in a few days because the expansion) and if you have read the books her ability makes sense with the lore of this character because her first appearance in the books is with two more dryads. So that's a good point for CDPR.

if you think about it, the same thing happens with Nivellen's ability. = )

So, I think Braenn is fine with her meeting the provision cost as she is doing 1-ping damages. Look at Udalryk an Brovkar (from SK). He does 6 for 6 with three 1-pings with order, gaining Zeal for BT2. [Mandatory SK rant: So, if SK doesn't give more for a similar card, you can forget about getting it for ST, and in fact, be happy that it is at least now the same. She was 7 for 8, as ST is supposed to be - weaker and junker than other factions. At least now she is equal to SK standard. Rejoice her for that.]
Then in that case, she should be buffed to 5 - like I mentioned in my post. She's not fine at all at 47 for 7, even with synergy.
Post automatically merged:

She is perfectly fine, specially now when we will see a lot of new dryads in the upcoming expansion. ^^

Also I like her ability a lot in its current state (yeah the zeal was useless before, but it will not be useless anymore in a few days because the expansion) and if you have read the books her ability makes sense with the lore of this character because her first appearance in the books is with two more dryads. So that's a good point for CDPR.

if you think about it, the same thing happens with Nivellen's ability. = )
Irrespective of how many Dryads we see, she's a weak card. 4 at 7 is weak, so she must be a 5 for 7 which makes sense in all ways.
Post automatically merged:

While I agree with the first part I have to admit that I feel Eithne is undervalued and an equalizing Scorch Finisher can be insane, not to mention that Shiruu can do insane work with a little help of a buff of 1 point/ reducing 1-2 units by 1 to scorch like 3 units.
I have to add that a well time Shiruu is a complete blowout against Monsters (when they try to setup Thrive units and the Thrive mechanic necessarily equalizes them to maximize the work of it).
Honestly Scorch and Shiruu can easily demolish Monster decks, while Eithne can (as you mentioned above) enable a Regis, which rivals a DD.
With the expansion I am feeling that Eithne will get a lot better, given that missing links (e.g. via Greak Oak) get added, so the deck can keep up and is not forced to give up a finisher too early.
A finisher is more required for a Trap deck than a control one tbh. Traps have no tempo at all and leaves them empty in short rounds.

[...]
A finisher is more required for a Trap deck than a control one tbh. Traps have no tempo at all and leaves them empty in short rounds.
You do realize Scoiatael get a tempo card in the expansion. ("The Great Oak" is basicly a cheaper Old Speartip for them)
Traps are by design a long round strategy, unless you start the round and use Iorveth + Pitfall Trap, I do not see why that should not be the case.
There is no point in giving her 1 point or something like that, it does not make her a finisher.
She only works as a finisher if used with (Eithne and) Scorch/Schiruu.
Traps have nothing to do with her, so I fail to see why she of all cards should be their finisher or tempo play.

Top Bottom