Breaching minigame...too much RNG

+
The skill part of this minigame is VERY minor, the randomness of getting even just half the number combos to line up right is just chance. Need higher player skill and less just roll the dice.

Most of the time your just getting datamines in those little hack minigames are everywhere so getting one out of three isn't a big deal. I always aim for the third(big one) so I always get decent rewards no matter what. If I can get the other two, awesome.

It would be nice if higher technical got you less randomized odds, but the randomized odds make it fun. No. You don't get max prizes every time. It sucks, but you eventually move on. That or you reroll and lower your time limit in hopes of being able to get all three. It's frustrating to see bad roll after roll so I don't even bother. I'll settle for two outta three and walk away begrudgingly before I jack in 5 or 6 more times.

how many sequences do you have? do you have cyberdeck with max buffer? unlocked perks that lowers the sequence? got the perk that loads first one free?
Those are useless perks, lvl 18 and 20 attribute. You need something like that MUCH earlier in the gameplay. And most players won't max out any attribute and should not be needed...well except for those wanting to upload 4+ daemons, but for simple datamining for eddies, just no, should not need lvl 18/20 attribute.

Those are useless perks, lvl 18 and 20 attribute. You need something like that MUCH earlier in the gameplay. And most players won't max out any attribute and should not be needed...well except for those wanting to upload 4+ daemons, but for simple datamining for eddies, just no, should not need lvl 18/20 attribute.

ok, for datamining, I can usually find 2/3 with 7 buffer, so its not that bad with int 16

also you can get an 18 attribute at like level 12 or 13. if you want to get 3/3 most of the time, thats probably going to require a bigger investment.

Stephenson Tech, best for the non-quickhack as main attack types. Also cheap in eddies and street cred.

As someone who loves to hack, I love the netwatch one. Getting lvl 50 in street cred is pretty easy. Do a bunch of gigs and cop stuff and you'll rise in street cred quickly.

Stephenson is pretty good. I used a tech mk. 3 before switching to my netdriver. I was around lvl 19-21 when I got my netwatch netdriver mk. 5. At higher levels money is just an object. I reccomend this bad boy to anyone looking to fry someone's nervous system.

I think its more or less enough for what it does, more complexing system would be chore considering how often you use it for such minor things

I think its more or less enough for what it does, more complexing system would be chore considering how often you use it for such minor things

Agreed. You do not need to be young, buff and have years in the ring for the game to let you feel like you are a champion fighter. Same thing should be for hacking. I get why most games often actually require metal "buff" to hack. But they should not, The hack mini game should be fun even for players that want to turn off their brains after they get home from work.

Maybe the solution is to have several ways to "hack". The way there are several ways to "stealth". To beat a camera you can hack it with your puzzle solving skills, or use sneaky hidden movement to get near enough to the camera to reach out and turn it off manually, or JUST shoot it with a gun from a distance. All of these require you to build and progress you character in different ways.

A mini hack game here could be solved by puzzle solving (similar to what they have now) OR hand eye coordination (a little like the game surgeon to rewire the electronics ) or a visual tempo game (not reflex or speed but TIMMING) to replicate how they show hacking in cyberspace in movies so often.

Last edited:
You're not supposed to get them all unless you invest in Int. However, you can always get at least 1 to pass the check.

Agreed. You do not need to be young, buff and have years in the ring for the game to let you feel like you are a champion fighter. Same thing should be for hacking. I get why most games often actually require metal "buff" to hack. But they should not, The hack mini game should be fun even for players that want to turn off their brains after they get home from work.

Maybe the solution is to have several ways to "hack". The way there are several ways to "stealth". To beat a camera you can hack it with your puzzle solving skills, or use sneaky hidden movement to get near enough to the camera to reach out and turn it off manually, or JUST shoot it with a gun from a distance. All of these require you to build and progress you character in different ways.

A mini hack game here could be solved by puzzle solving (similar to what they have now) OR hand eye coordination (a little like the game surgeon to rewire the electronics ) or a visual tempo game (not reflex or speed but TIMMING) to replicate how they show hacking in cyberspace in movies so often.

I think hacking overall would be too difficult to implement properly, definately not in action game as you have to bend whole game around it, combat would have to be slowed down, less enemies and so on.
My suggestion would be hacking most involved in pre mission for example gathering info, disabling systems, weakening enemies before enter mission real time or something like that

Or two if you have 7 or 8 buffer, and you decide what you wanna do before you start the puzzle. I always map out the spots before choosing. I always get atleast two, and oftentimes all three as well.

I think hacking overall would be too difficult to implement properly, definately not in action game as you have to bend whole game around it, combat would have to be slowed down, less enemies and so on.
My suggestion would be hacking most involved in pre mission for example gathering info, disabling systems, weakening enemies before enter mission real time or something like that

That is probably why the threw in the quick hacks. Or were quick hacks in the table top game? I really like your suggestion of RECON hacking but you can still have combat hacking the same way Fallout has Pipboy targeting (slow time).

Or NOT, you can have the extra stress of hacking while under attack as long as the hacks are SHORT min games like they did in Half life Alex. Or use cloaking Cyberware to be invisible for a time. I don't know all I know is game hacking should be like game combat. as I said, it should make you you feel like a super smart guy with out having to actually be one.

There doesn't appear to be much RNG at all.

In my experience, with the beginning Militech Paraline (and 4 buffer slots) there's always a path to get Datamine_V3 at access points, and usually also one of of either V2 or V1. Of course the design prevents getting all three with beginning character skill level and cyberdecks, as this encourages players to progress their Intelligence attribute and upgrade their cyberdeck.

At high player levels, and once one gets a cyberdeck with 8 buffer slots and the breaching protocol perks Headstart and Compression, there's always a path to load 4 daemons (Icepick, mass vulnerability, legendary reboot optics, and legendary weapons breach), which of course enormously synergizes with the perks Efficiency and Hackathon.

As far as I can tell, the breach protocol matrix is seeded with at least one path that gets all the Datamine sequences with midgame character skills and cyberdeck. The rest of the matrix may be filled randomly, which adds numerous alternative paths.

They should remove them from the game. They are boring and monotonous. The only reason I do them is because you get a decent amount of money from them.

They should remove them from the game. They are boring and monotonous. The only reason I do them is because you get a decent amount of money from them.

LOL, I mean I agree with you that they are not fun IMO and could be done in a different way to make them more accessible. But remove them? :p Make a game about high tech software and hardware and mass data manipulation with no hacking mini game? Wouldn't that be something!

I got a feeling you played this game like me, GUNS a blazing! Solved all your problems one bullet at a time?
My character was a Tech hater/phobic (relative to the time they are in). No Cybernetics that are not required by the government (the game). I decided to do this because my old eyes could not read all the TINY text they use in the menus.

Last edited:
Top Bottom