Bring back more tutors?

+
^This

I was in tieba (chinese forum)argueing over which gwent (pre-midwinter vs homecoming)is better, I rooted homecoming, but they bring up some very good points

Among them, the topic about tutor is the one I think is most worth mentioning here on official forum , and hope to bring CDPR's attention

In short, tutors:
Pro: STRONG control over your deck
Con: Making your strategy kinda same in every game. It may get bored

However, I feel like in homecoming, deck building is very diverse, and maybe tutors won't have such negative impact afterall

The “player suggestion of removing tutors” was pre-homecoming, which needless to say was a different game.
Post automatically merged:

Tutoes are extremly important especially when it comes to counter

Think when playing a tutor, should you play a boost card that gives you raw power, or a destroy artifact card that removes the damn Sihil?
Is one of the most interesting decisions ingwent

i totally agree with the tutor aspect. My favorite deck all-time even during the times it wasn't OP was spies Nilfgaard. I can't seem to get past the mainscreen of the day nowadays even though i have over 400k scraps and i love to spend! I check all the Aretusa meta snapshots and honestly i can't feel any attachment anymore and i think it is closely related to the tutoring effects that a lot of people loved. I moved away from hearthstone to gwent because it had such cool interactions. Interactions which aren't in the game anymore and it feels to me that in the pursuit of balance, through symmetry the game lost all the elements that set it apart.

Think when playing a tutor, should you play a boost card that gives you raw power, or a destroy artifact card that removes the damn Sihil?
Is one of the most interesting decisions ingwent

Ida does exactly that without being a tutor.
Also pretty much the almost 1 year of midwinter proved that tutors don't make for interesting decisions, i know it's custom for people to make vague and unsubstantiated statements like "interesting" or "fun" whenever they talk about their own suggestion but this time it's pretty obvious it isn't the case.

Personally i'm fine with the amount of tutors we have now cause they really overdid it in midwinter.

Personally i'm fine with the amount of tutors we have now cause they really overdid it in midwinter.

Yes, they completely overdid it and now they've done it again. I don't think they had to restrict the ability of playing cards from your deck that harshly (ok, thanks to the 2 rows, maybe they actually had to).
I'm not a fan of CDPR's "leg is broken, let's cut it off" mentality. The huge amount of unconditional tutors were part of the post MW point vomit dilemma and not every deck has to be able to thin down to 3 cards or less, but being able to play cards from your deck doesn't have to be a bad thing. For example old shieldmaiden or old field medic were some of the more unique cards in the game or I don't think there was anything wrong with NG spies (at least before MW); except maybe Rainfarn.

For the naysayers I must repeat something I wrote before: tutors can have different mechanics than "play card A to pull card B". Remember old Alba Pikemen? Shieldmaidens? Arachas Drones? Remember that Elven Mercenery was a SPYING unit? Tutors can and should be more or less conditional cards. That or people will just be forced to use the stupid Witcher Trio for the reset of the days this game has.

They really went in the other extreme with this mechanic.

As mentioned, unconditional tutors are bad. Every new tutor should at least get some restriction. With the provision system, it's possible to create a neutral gold tutor that can pull a card with 5 provisions or less. Even better would be to implement unique conditions to get the tutor to work. I like the old Slyzard card where you need a copy in the graveyard in order to tutor it.

Yeah, in old Gwent we had too many Tutors. Now we don‘t have enough and the few remaining ones are usually expensive.

I agree with 4RM3D. Conditional tutors can be great. I miss old Wild Hunt Hound and Siren.

All my favorite decks were full of tutors. Its fun to fish cards out of the deck in right order. Now without them game is boring. You just play all cards you got from mulligan from your hand one by one and this is uninteresting and boring.

It was boring because other cards were a hostage of tutors. If card didn't have a tutor then it was a dead bronze card.

No thanks.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
All my favorite decks were full of tutors. Its fun to fish cards out of the deck in right order. Now without them game is boring. You just play all cards you got from mulligan from your hand one by one and this is uninteresting and boring.

I agree. I used to play a Foltest northern realms deck pre-homecoming that could frequently play the entire deck with blue stripes commandos, reaver scouts, temerian infantry, dun banner cavalry. It was fun to play and knowing what cards were left in your deck was critical for strategy. I understand that CDPR is going away from this gameplay but I miss it and would like more tutors.

[...] play the entire deck with blue stripes commandos, reaver scouts, temerian infantry, dun banner cavalry.

Ah, everyone's favorite mulligan nightmare. That deck had more bricks than a mansion.

Last edited:
Ye, one of my favorite decks was 40 card Foltest, and every 3rd game this deck ran out of all cards. This deck wasnt competitive, but it was fun. You needed skill and luck to scroll all the cards in the right order. And now what? You got card - you play it, no card - you dont play card. No need thinking...heh

Meh.
I think that the few tutors that few have now are enough -- at least with the current card pool. Was really sick of the tutoring tutors in beta, and the many cards "no one played from hand".

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
2mzs07.jpg

In this Less Tutor era, a Gwent match is so BORING, if not because of those daily stuff (1 quest and 6 rounds that's as much i as can take) every time i login to Gwent, i was like: "why the hell am i still playing this?", and after 6 rounds win i was like: "That's it, i'm done"

P/s: I'm a simple Gwentor, i see Tutor fan i Red point.

Day by day, i'm losing the will to play Gwent, the will to comment here, maybe someday the will to even visit this forum. Some will say i'm nobody, but if there is many nobody then Gwent got a problem.

Last edited:
What makes the lack of tutors even worse is the removal of a third bronze copy, causing even less consistency

View attachment 10983949

In this Less Tutor era, a Gwent match is so BORING, if not because of those daily stuff (1 quest and 6 rounds that's as much i as can take) every time i login to Gwent, i was like: "why the hell am i still playing this?", and after 6 rounds win i was like: "That's it, i'm done"

P/s: I'm a simple Gwentor, i see Tutor fan i Red point.

Day by day, i'm losing the will to play Gwent, the will to comment here, maybe someday the will to even visit this forum. Some will say i'm nobody, but if there is many nobody then Gwent got a problem.

Gwent Homecoming is still in an infant state. It's essentially being beta tested now despite it's 'full release' status. There will be patches, and new cards added to the game. I personally prefer Homecoming over Post-Midwinter gwent.
You have to be creative with deck design to create consistency - I have been playing a machine NR deck and I use both necromancy and winch to revive my engines from the graveyard after they inevitably get sniped. I use royal decree to tutor keira metz to tutor a revive spell if needed. The possibilities that currently exist for deck experimentation and discovery with the recruit cost limiting what can be played is what I enjoy about the current state of the game, and was lacking IMO post-midwinter.

Top Bottom