Bring back TW2 Roll

+

Bring back TW2 Roll

• Yes, its great for dodging giant monsters!!

Votes: 34 18.6%
  • No! Screw the roll, we have dodges now!

Votes: 149 81.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bring back TW2 Roll

So it's been pretty much confirmed that the roll from TW2 has been removed in TW3 and replaced with dodges and pirouettes which are great, but imo the roll is better and looks more natural for evading attacks from big monsters like the griffin, imo the roll should also be in TW3, this is a petition to bring back the W2 roll in a way it can not be spamed in adition the dodges and pirouettes so we can use it when necessary.
:cheers:

Last edited:
As a lore fanatic I had to vote no, sorry.

Rolling doesn't fit Geralt's fighting style. But maybe they could come up with something between, something more elegant and lore friendly, like a quick sidestep or backstep sequence ("sword dancing"), just enough to evade the blow of a sword or the blow of a monster claw (think of a Spanish torrero for the a rough example).

Rolling doesn't fit Geralt's fighting style. But maybe they could come up with something between, something more elegant and lore friendly, like a quick sidestep or backstep sequence ("sword dancing"), just enough to evade the blow of a sword or the blow of a monster claw (think of a Spanish torrero for the a rough example).
HaHa have Geralt do a roundhouse dodge HaHa No roll he has scabbards on his back!! :)

Sorry I wasn't very clear, I meant roll should be in there as well, not that the dodges and pirouettes should be replaced by it, if there's say a fiend charging at geralt, imo it feels wierd that we cannot jump out of the way like he does in the trailer from last E3,

Last edited:
Sorry I wasn't very clear, I meant roll should be in there as well, not that the dodges and pirouettes should be replaced by it, if there's say a fiend charging at geralt, imo it feels wierd that we cannot jump out of the way like he does in the trailer from last E3,
Now that, I do admit I did like that fast roll going quickly into igni ;)

I know but I think additional rolls (on top of the new dodging and parrying) would make the balancing even harder. Rolls would probably make combat too easy and people would complain (even more than they'll do anyway)...

And I hate everything that is not true to the canon, as you probably already know.... :p

Edit: I could live with rolls if CDPR was able to balance the whole combat properly. If balancing is much easier without rolls I would vote to not include them.

Last edited:
But I do not want to roll around in the swamp I think the dodge is best, it will act about the same, if we have true fast toggle control of the it's direction it will be awesome.
Oh cool I had a premonition..... I bet as we level up you can dodge a greater distance!! Duh...:)

Last edited:

IsengrimR

Dashing hardly does fit under the lore friendlyness either. I think the roll should be back, as well as a dash and adding a pirouette.
Basially have a few dodge animations. That would make for a more visually pleasant combat.

I honestly didn't mind rolling, and the dash seriously wants me to have the roll back.

dat dodge... Geralt looks like megaman dashing around, just saying. :)

Sir you just described it PERFECTLY! I think dodging should be done more naturally with smoother animations, it should be a side-step not a megaman dash, I hate seeing Geralt clearing 5 meters with a side dodge
@LordCrash yeah but they could add a "cooling time" for the roll so it would only be used to get the hell out of the way of some monster or horseman charging you, it adds more freedom of movement imo.
I am also an absolute lore purist, if it were up to me everything in the games would be exactly like the books, but I cant see why Geralt rolling is lore-breaking, every human being can jump and roll, and not every charging monster can be evaded with a side-step

Dashing hardly does fit under the lore friendlyness either. I think the roll should be back, as well as a dash and adding a pirouette.
Basially have a few dodge animations. That would make for a more visually pleasant combat.

I honestly didn't mind rolling, and the dash seriously wants me to have the roll back.
I absolutely agree. I'm all in for "situation-based dodging". Geralt should have various dodging moves and he should use them according to the type of enemy and weapon and attack he faces.... :)

@King Milhouse
The problems with mechanics like rolls are that they are perfectly lore-friendly if you only use them "in case of emergency", for example rolling away from a serious sword blow or magical attack in the last second. But developers do not tend to include mechanics which are only used here and then in case of emergency. If rolls would be back in they would proably be a crucial part of combat again and you would perhaps be forced to use them in certain situations or in hard difficulty modes. That's what I try to prevent. Maybe the "situation-based dodging" system would be the perfect solution. If the Griffin attacks you and you press the dodge button in the right moment Geralt would make a roll instead of a small dodge move or pirouette because the Griffin is huge and a small dodge is not sufficient. I don't know how easy or hard such a "situation-based dodging system" would be to implement but it would add a lot to the visual quality of combat and to the combat mechanics themselves as well.

Last edited:

maybe holding the dodge button can do a roll this griffin fights is certainly in need of some rolls. The griffin seems like he's giving the player a break by having his wing really high while he does a plunging attack.

I absolutely agree. I'm all in for "situation-based dodging". Geralt should have various dodging moves and he should use them according to the type of enemy and weapon and attack he faces.... :)

@King Milhouse
The problems with mechanics like rolls are that they are perfectly lore-friendly if you only use them "in case of emergency", for example rolling away from a serious sword blow or magical attack in the last second. But developers do not tend to include mechanics which are only used here and then in case of emergency. If rolls would be back in they would proably be a crucial part of combat again and you would perhaps be forced to use them in certain situations or in hard difficulty modes. That's what I try to prevent. Maybe the "situation-based dodging" system would be the perfect solution. If the Griffin attacks you and you press the dodge button in the right moment Geralt would make a roll instead of a small dodge move or pirouette because the Griffin is huge and a small dodge is not sufficient. I don't know how easy or hard such a "situation-based dodging system" would be to implement but it would add a lot to the visual quality of combat and to the combat mechanics themselves as well.

Situation- based dodging and parrying would be a dream come true!! Sadly I think they are not going that way in TW3

Top Bottom