Bring back TW2 Roll

+

Bring back TW2 Roll

• Yes, its great for dodging giant monsters!!

Votes: 34 18.6%
  • No! Screw the roll, we have dodges now!

Votes: 149 81.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
wouldn't be effective against a horizontal sweeping attack. The griffin just looks like he's giving Geralt a break by having his wing so high.
W2 rolling maybe slow but you'll be down on the ground avoiding certain kinds of attacks better.

I say tap the dodge button to side-step back-step while holding it to roll.

I say we climb it, ride it and kill it;)

The problem is consoles.

I mean absolutely no offense by this but honestly it's the truth. If you're on a PC you've got so many buttons, you don't know what to do with them, you could easily implement one button for Pirouettes, one for side-stepping and another for rolls. Put a Cooldown on the roll so people can't spam it and you're good to go.

With consoles, nope. When Combat moves as fast as it does in TW2 (And it looks even faster in TW3), you simply cannot have a button setup that allows for 3 different dodging inputs, it's just not feasible.

I'm not completely against the idea of rolls, but I am completely against the idea of infinite rolling as in TW2. However because of the console restrictions if I have to choose between rolls (Infinite or even if it was randomized) or no rolls, definitely no bloody rolls. Pirouettes and Side-Stepping in the footage not only looks a lot better but also fits the lore better.

(Edit: Sorry if I've just said what 30 people have already stated, just cbf reading the rest of the thread but wanted to throw in my 2 cents)

Last edited:
I didn't overuse rolls in TW2, so I can't see a problem with it. I was trying to avoid being surrounded, using all five signs, knives and bombs - so I hadn't had to roll very often according with my combat style.

Problem is not with rolls itself, problem is with a balance. Like, you know, in some multiplayer shooters where some noobs overusing grenade launchers or sniper rifles (no offense :D).

So, if the importance of rolling will be reduced - it'll be good. If not - don't see a tragedy in it either, I'll just improve my TW2-combat style with the new abilities.

The problem is consoles.

I mean absolutely no offense by this but honestly it's the truth. If you're on a PC you've got so many buttons, you don't know what to do with them, you could easily implement one button for Pirouettes, one for side-stepping and another for rolls. Put a Cooldown on the roll so people can't spam it and you're good to go.

With consoles, nope. When Combat moves as fast as it does in TW2 (And it looks even faster in TW3), you simply cannot have a button setup that allows for 3 different dodging inputs, it's just not feasible.

I'm not completely against the idea of rolls, but I am completely against the idea of infinite rolling as in TW2. However because of the console restrictions if I have to choose between rolls (Infinite or even if it was randomized) or no rolls, definitely no bloody rolls. Pirouettes and Side-Stepping in the footage not only looks a lot better but also fits the lore better.

(Edit: Sorry if I've just said what 30 people have already stated, just cbf reading the rest of the thread but wanted to throw in my 2 cents)

In my opinion (not to offend any console fans out there), consoles are the biggest barrier in gaming. The whole reason why the corporate giants (Microsoft & Sony) want games on consoles are because they can monetize it. Devs are forced to sell their games on platform owners (PSN & XBLA)? and Microsoft & Sony will get 'commission' for every game sold. I'm not sure how true this is but i heard on XBL they are getting 70% cut? That is VERY ridiculous if you ask me. If not mistaken, Steam is taking a cut of 30%. Not to mentioned that Sony & Microsoft will impose annual subscriptions to play game "online". There's another form of revenue on top of the sales of their hardware. That is WHY they wanted PC gaming to die and they FAILED!!.

That is WHY to support CDPR you SHOULD buy TW3 on GoG. I have a very huge collection of games on Steam but i'm buying TW3 on GoG. Steam getting DOMINANT is bad for gamers as well.

Last edited:
How is that even possible?
I mostly used them for shortening distance to stunned enemies, not for dodging.

My point: rolls are makes sense in the fights with some kinds of monsters, especially heavy ones. In fights with humans/elves/etc. Geralt has a big arsenal of weapons and abilities for tearing them apart, so rolls is not that necessary

Last edited:
WHY the fuck we shouldn't have both ?????

I mean more options - more fun.It's that simple in my opinion.

I don't even know if we won't be able to roll at all, but seeing how dodges and pirouettes are more lore-friendly (and look much better, gosh darn it), I'd prefer that. Again I think back on TW1 as a good example in which you had all three kinds, including the occasional roll on the ground.

No, no, definitely not.

I am glad the "free roll" has been removed. In fact, it was the main reason why TW 2 combat sucked.

Geralt is a witcher not a coward.

Last edited:
Actually there is a roll. If you look closer in fight with forest bandits you can see that. The roll just depends from distance and situation i suppose. And its now completely different from Witcher 2.where that was the only evade option.

IMO, rolling would have been fine if not for the following reasons:
1) It was vigour free as opposed to parrying, which inexplicably costed vigour (it still does in TW3!) . It should have been the other way round.
2) Once upgraded, the sheer distance you could cover made rolling the answer to everything, you could kite all day by spamming roll and waiting for your health to regenerate.

It was ridiculously abusable. That being said, should they fix 1) and 2) , then I dont see a reason why it shouldnt be included. So i voted yes.

PS: Also, I dearly miss jumping over enemies from TW1. :(

Fuck the roll, I want that somersault, somersault sadness, s-s-s-somersault, somersault sadness.
Seriously though, i want to somersault over an unsuspecting group of drowners like in M-MUH Witcher 1.

Edit:
P.S. I just wanted you to know, that Geralt you're the best.

Last edited:
I wasn't here when the witcher 2 released but guessing and seeing how people and dev. react to rolling, I realized that it was the fans who DIDN'T want it. And now this!!!! Suggesting it to be back when the dev. themselves did their part and listened to the fans' suggestion~ wow good job cdpr, if you always listen to such suggestions I guess that wouldn't end up good on your part and your games. :/
p.s I loved witcher 2 combat..

Top Bottom