BROKEN AGE: Double Fine Adventure finally revealed

+
BROKEN AGE: Double Fine Adventure finally revealed

Finally the most anticipated independent adventure game this year is being shown to the public. :)/>/>/>/>/>
As a backer of the Kickstarter project, Ive been biting my lips for MONTHS, not being able to show the updates to the crowd. :p/>/>/>/>/>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re_LWmRJK-g

Here some video (dont pay attention to the first 20sec short shit, it's just how Gametrailers work />/>/>/>/> ).
Reveal 1
www.gametrailers.com/videos/r2l7om/broken-age-the-reveal---part-1
Reveal 2
www.gametrailers.com/videos/32a0wa/broken-age-the-reveal---part-2

Double Fine adventure documentary part 1
www.gametrailers.com/videos/69ck29/broken-age-double-fine-adventure--part-1

Double Fine adventure documentary part 2
www.gametrailers.com/videos/pfqwb7/broken-age-double-fine-adventure--part-2

And the debut trailer
http://www.gamespot.com/events/gdc-2013/video.html?sid=6406101

Some thoughts... Taking aside the quality of the game, the process itself has been one of the best in Kickstarter, IMHO. The only one in which you as a backer have a clear idea of the process of the making of the game, not only with high quality video updates each month, but devs asking actively for feedback.

The game itself doesnt look like a masterpiece or life-changing game... But it feels is gonna be great. I like the concept of it. Not gonna spoil anything, but the story will revolve around 2 different characters (a boy and a girl) which the player will be switching back and forth during the playthru).
At first I really hated the art-style (this sort of "naive" puppet style, aparently so prevalent now, kinda reminds me of Machinarium), but I have slowly grown fond of it. :)/>/>/>/>/>/>
For those that like it, here some more exclusive backer art updates from early development:

Don't know if it's just me but I can't see any vids.

Heard about the project. I'm sceptical to Kickstarter. I don't trust the whole crowdfunding thing. If it can prove to have helped producing a couple of games, I'll concede being wrong. So far though, I'm wary of the practice.

Still, if it actually works and the developers don't just waste the money on booze and stippers then great. Hopefully Double Fine end up creating an awesome game.

@FoggyFishburne,

Well the game isnt released yet but it helped quite alot with Star Citizen/Squadron 42

Heeeey, this isn't Psychonauts 2! :(

It looks nice, though, it will probably be fun to play. I'd trust Double Fine with Kickstarter, they have a lot of passion, but they've always had trouble with funding. Psychonauts is a brilliant game - haven't checked out their other projects, but I don't think they had a 'big' one after Psychs, except for Brutal Legend, anyway.

FoggyFishburne said:
Don't know if it's just me but I can't see any vids.

Heard about the project. I'm sceptical to Kickstarter. I don't trust the whole crowdfunding thing. If it can prove to have helped producing a couple of games, I'll concede being wrong. So far though, I'm wary of the practice.

Still, if it actually works and the developers don't just waste the money on booze and stippers then great. Hopefully Double Fine end up creating an awesome game.

You HERETIC!!! :p/>

The "insert video" feature is kind of broken for a change /> so when it's available again I'll fix it. The videos are REALLY good, just to watch them, no matter where your stands on the Kickstarter thing is. :)/>

Dona said:
Heeeey, this isn't Psychonauts 2! :(/>

It looks nice, though, it will probably be fun to play. I'd trust Double Fine with Kickstarter, they have a lot of passion, but they've always had trouble with funding. Psychonauts is a brilliant game - haven't checked out their other projects, but I don't think they had a 'big' one after Psychs, except for Brutal Legend, anyway.

I think it will be BETTER than Psichonauts...

Subverted Andromeda sounds like an excellent name for a novel, game or anything creative really. Especially considering it translates to "Ruler of Men". All credit goes to you Bloth.

And the game looks great! Can you believe there's people on youtube (what would you expect really) saying things like "3.3 million for a Flash game"! This is why people fans fund these games. Because publishers are also blind to creativity and "2D" art.

*Cough* Battle F--- *Cough* Four. O excuse me. This march wind is killer.

What IS it? Is it an adventure game like Beneath a Steel Sky?

Glaroug said:
*Cough* Battle F--- *Cough* Four. O excuse me. This march wind is killer.

What IS it? Is it an adventure game like Beneath a Steel Sky?

Tricky question. Short answer, yes.

Long answer: Beneath a Steel Sky is a third-party game made using the SCUMM engine created by a few guys at LucasArts, originally LucasFilm Games. SCUMM powered some of the most impressive adventure games ever, such as Maniac Mansion, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island 1 through 3, Full Throttle, and so on. One of the lead guys on many of these projects was Tim Schafer, coached by Ron Gilbert. Both Tim and Ron currently work at Double Fine, a company that recently received 3.3 million dollars to produce and document a new old-school (point and click) adventure game.

If you like adventure games and haven't played the LucasArts classics, you are seriously missing out. And if you like them, you should also try this game. As you may or may not know, the adventure genre (and the computer RPG genre) have disappeared under a mountain of action and first-person shooters. There are few and sporadic independent games in these genres (Machinarium, Deponia, other adventures, Drakensang, Avernum, Avadon, other cRPG's), none with AAA production values. This adventure game is important because, without crowdfunding, it would have never been made. It is a community statement about the games WE, the players, like. Which is not the same as what companies want to sell.

Tim Schafer and his adventure game Kickstarter campaign spear headed the crowdfunded game revolution, which eventually led to Brian Fargo's Wasteland 2, Obsidian's Project Eternity and again Fargo's/inXile's Torment: Tides of Numenerra. What all these games have in common is that neither would be made in this age if not by crowdfunding. No current major publishers are interested in classic adventures or computer RPG's anymore.

Looks pretty meh so far. Story certainly didn´t catch my attention as some other Tim Schafer games did with their short synopsis. But hopefully it ends up being good.

Actually, the Start Citizen team doesn't need to spend their money on booze, their fans sent them a whole case load of assorted alcohol, and gift cards for tacos...

Top Bottom