Brought back scrapped bombs

+

Guest 2364765

Brought back scrapped bombs

I was browsing through item definitions and noticed that CDPR plainly *disabled* 6 bombs.
I can't say much about them besides fact that they were marked as "old" (but apparently not old enough to be removed entirely from existence).
I can imagine why they were scrapped - simply because they were very specific and targeted only one kind of enemy forcing player to juggle them like oils depending on upcoming encounter.

Anyways, they were there so i brought them back as (one of very few) non-conflicting mod/DLC addon that you can add risk-free to your game and it's not going to break anything never, ever.

There are 6 bombs that CDPR left in item definitions:
Alkaline - (Chemical opposite of acid), prohibits enemies from using acid based attacks. (blocked abilities: AcidSpit/Venom)
Funghi - Supposedly a fungus that disallows enemies from using their vocal chords. (blocked abilities: Summon/Scream/Shout)
Glue - Makes enemies unable to fly. (blocked abilities: Flying)
Salt - Forces ethereal (ghost) enemies (like wraiths) to take physical form and renders them unable to use spectral abilities. (blocked abilities: Specter)
Shrapnel - Technically identical to Glue bomb, additionally staggers enemies but also does not inflict any damage. (blocked abilities: Flying, added effects: Stagger)
Virus - Contains a virus that is supposed to stop enemies from regenerating their health/stamina. (blocked abilities: AutoEssenceRegen, AutoVitalityRegen)

As far as restoral goes, i tried to bring them back as close to their original design as possible, if there's demand i might change them a bit for a more reasonable design and add some more features to make them more viable.

It seems that most of the bombs were actually in the game for quite some time as all of them besides Alkaline one had custom sounds and particle effects, granted some of them (like glue bomb) required some manual fixing, but they exist and work fine nonetheless.

For some reason Alkaline bomb was removed almost entirely, maybe it was scrapped earlier than other bombs (however i find it odd as it's based around same concept as other bombs). It didn't even have entity file (but that's not an issue really), so besides its effects i had to reuse dimeritum bomb visuals and sound.
It's also the only bomb that had defined 3 levels, however level 2 and 3 did not had specified effects so i just re-added level one.

[video=youtube;Ruy-jgyoIzg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ruy-jgyoIzg[/video]

If you're interested in trying them out, you can get the DLC addon package here:
http://www.skacik.pl/downloads/W3/scrappedbombs.zip

You can get the recipes from Herbalist located in poor district of Novigrad.

Technically the design is fairly simplistic and i guess that you can literally design shitload of bombs meant to disable any ability used by characters in this game.
Nonetheless, as i said - if there's demand i may do my own version of this as current release is just more or less intact with original design of those bombs.

Guest 2364765

I tried to make glue bomb more viable so i gave it a serious rework:

Now it also does stick walking enemies to the ground (as long as they're not immune).
Everyone within splash radius is stuck for 3 seconds, whilst target that received direct impact will be stuck from 5 to 10 seconds.

Additionally i also brought back friendly fire variable that was declared inside petard script and petard entities but was never hooked in actual script.
As you can see, the glue bomb does not affect Geralt because Glue Bomb is set to not cause friendly fire, thus whoever throws the bomb will not be affected by it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll give this a try next time I play. Nice find. Who knows what else is left in those files that can be dug up by someone patient enough.

Guest 2364765

I'll give this a try next time I play. Nice find. Who knows what else is left in those files that can be dug up by someone patient enough.
There are effects for Bear and Nekker pheromones although to my knowledge only drowner ones are actually implemented in game.

Since TW3 is distinctly lacking in this regard, it simply boggles my mind they would exclude these. Anyway, awesome that you found them. Good work!

@skacikpl: are the bomb particle effects in the game assets or did you create them?

Last edited:

Guest 2364765

@skacikpl: are the bomb particle effects in the game assets or did you create them?

All but alkali one had their own distinct particle and sound effects.

---------- Post merged on 01-02-2016 at 12:03 AM ----------

As there's nothing that i can add/change to make them any better/more viable, i decided to put current version on nexus:
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1250/?

Enjoy it for what it is.

Top Bottom