Bug: game keeps flatlining / crashing

+
Hi,

I have recently bought Cyberpunk 2077, but for some reason whenever I play the game will randomly flatline. It seems to always happen within an hour of gameplay. It could be 2 minutes in or an hour in

Is anyone else having this issue? If you have any ideas of how to resolve it I would be very grateful. Having to see "Flatline" -> "Send error report" -> "Thanks Choompa" is taking its toll on the immersive aspect of the game, to say the least.

I have tried the following solutions thus far:
Update GPU drivers, run DDU and re-update them again.
Disable all overlays: overwolf overlay and geforce experience overlay.
Run from prelauncher instead of Steam.
Uninstalled Vanguard anti-cheat.
Uninstalled all vpns.
Disabled Anti-Virus (Norton).
Punched the computer.
Ran it on my brother's PC and it seems to work fine. He has a GTX 1080 and I have a GTX 1070, could it be this?
Started a New Game,

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    94.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I have a GTX1070, running it 1080p on medium. So far over 125h of play and only one CTD, with 1.04 if I remember correctly.
Which settings are you using?

I have a GTX1070, running it 1080p on medium. So far over 125h of play and only one CTD, with 1.04 if I remember correctly.
Which settings are you using?
Thanks for your reply.
I have been playing with High settings at 1080p, 1.12 (latest). I will try dropping down to medium. Rather annoying as it runs fine on High :(.

No I'm not using it. Should I install it? And why do you think my GPU is having memory leaks?
Thank you

Give it a try yes and keep us informed.
You have the installation instructions here: https://wiki.cybermods.net/cyber-engine-tweaks/

Be sure to download the 1.12 compatible version of the mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/107?tab=files

You seem to have shared video memory: your 1070GTX has 8GB of VRAM but I see half of your 16GB RAM is shared: It can be the main culprit.

Give it a try yes and keep us informed.
You have the installation instructions here: https://wiki.cybermods.net/cyber-engine-tweaks/

Be sure to download the 1.12 compatible version of the mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/107?tab=files

You seem to have shared video memory: your 1070GTX has 8GB of VRAM but I see half of your 16GB RAM is shared: It can be the main culprit.
Thank you so much for your help, I'll install it now and update you in due course. :)
Is there a way to fix this RAM sharing issue?

Thank you so much for your help, I'll install it now and update you in due course. :)
Is there a way to fix this RAM sharing issue?

You're welcome :)

Yes of course but you should do it using the BIOS:

Post automatically merged:

Any update ? :)

Last edited:
Please tell me your exact setup (MB, GPU manufacturer, CPU, RAM ) :)
Hi, sorry for the delayed response. I have had to focus on a lot of uni work over the weekend.
My exact specs are as follows:
Windows 10 Pro (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Processor: Inter(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 16.0GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Pen and Touch: No Pen or Touch Input is available for this Display

Here is a detailed device list:
Audio inputs and outputs --
C32F391 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)
Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Realtek Digital Output (Optical) (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Computer:
ACPI x64-based PC

Disk drivers:
OCZ-VERTEX4
ST31000524AS

Display Adaptors:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (Driver Version 27.21.14.6140)

DVD/CD-ROM drives:
ATAPI iHAS122 C

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers:
Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller - 1E02
Standard SATA AHCI Controller

Network adapters:
Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

Processors:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4GHz
Driver Version: 10.0.18362.1049

More in depth specs:
System SKU: SKU

BIOS Version/Date:
American Megatrends Inc. 1708, 09/11/2012

SMBIOS Verson:

Embedded Controller Version:

BIOS Mode:
Legacy

BaseBoard Manufacturer:
ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Product: SABERTOOTH Z77
Version: Rev 1.xx

Platform Role:
Desktop

Hardware Abstraction Layer:
Version = "10.0.18362.1171"

The rest is just available memory and Hyber-V stuff, which I don't think is important.

Hope this is useful, and thank you for helping me thus far as well I really appreciate it. And again I apologize for the delayed response.

Thanks,
Zen

Reinstalling the GPU driver might help.
If I'm not mistaken I think I've done that,
I updated my GPU and then used DDU to "clean" it.
Then restarted and re-updated the GPU.

Hi, sorry for the delayed response. I have had to focus on a lot of uni work over the weekend.
My exact specs are as follows:
Windows 10 Pro (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Processor: Inter(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 16.0GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
Pen and Touch: No Pen or Touch Input is available for this Display

Here is a detailed device list:
Audio inputs and outputs --
C32F391 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio)
Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Realtek Digital Output (Optical) (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Computer:
ACPI x64-based PC

Disk drivers:
OCZ-VERTEX4
ST31000524AS

Display Adaptors:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (Driver Version 27.21.14.6140)

DVD/CD-ROM drives:
ATAPI iHAS122 C

IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers:
Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller - 1E02

Network adapters:
Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection

Processors:
Driver Version: 10.0.18362.1049

More in depth specs:
System SKU: SKU

BIOS Version/Date:
American Megatrends Inc. 1708, 09/11/2012

SMBIOS Verson:

Embedded Controller Version:

BIOS Mode:
Legacy

BaseBoard Manufacturer:
ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Product: SABERTOOTH Z77
Version: Rev 1.xx

Platform Role:
Desktop

Hardware Abstraction Layer:
Version = "10.0.18362.1171"

The rest is just available memory and Hyber-V stuff, which I don't think is important.

Hope this is useful, and thank you for helping me thus far as well I really appreciate it. And again I apologize for the delayed response.

Thanks,
Zen

If I'm not mistaken I think I've done that,
I updated my GPU and then used DDU to "clean" it.
Then restarted and re-updated the GPU.
According to your file, Hitman3 and CitiesSkylines ar also listed as RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64 which makes me believe that it's not an issue with Cyberpunk.
As far as I know, PRE_LEAK means the OS has detected a resource intensive process that tried to access memory which it doesn't have.
I think there either is an app running in the background that takes up lots of memory, or it has something to do with the pagefile. Since you got 20Gb left on C: Try to set your pagefile to double the size of your memory. (33GB)
You can run cleanmgr.exe as admin in order to free up some extra space.

Last edited:
According to your file, Hitman3 and CitiesSkylines ar also listed as RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64 which makes me believe that it's not an issue with Cyberpunk.
As far as I know, PRE_LEAK means the OS has detected a resource intensive process that tried to access memory which it doesn't have.
I think there either is an app running in the background that takes up lots of memory, or it has something to do with the pagefile. Since you got 20Gb left on C: Try to set your pagefile to double the size of your memory. (33GB)
You can run cleanmgr.exe as admin in order to free up some extra space.
Thank you very much for your response. I have also just uninstalled every single VS C++ redistributable on my computer, then installed the VC_REDIST which Cyberpunk 2077 recommends. Restarted PC, and I haven't crashed YET. after 1.5 hours of gameplay.
However, this issue was happening with Hitman 3 as well, and it still crashes every now and then. So I will also try what you've suggested, and will keep you updated. If I don't crash once tomorrow, the issue will be considered fix :).

Thank you for your help.

EDIT/UPDATE:

Okay, it is still crashing. That first run was luck I think, as it didn't crash for 2.5 hours. But now it's crashing every hour and a bit. Which is better than every 10-20 minutes. So the VC_REDIST has helped and so has cleaning the C drive.
I've increased the size of the pagefile by a GB, but after searching online it looks like if the pagefile method does work it will probably only extend the time it takes to crash rather than fix it.
I don't know what a memory leak is, but from what I have read online I guess it is crashing once memory has reaches max capacity (somewhere); due to memory not being cleaned efficiently because something is not cleaning it. I am at a loss at the moment, I have also seen on reddit that some people have this issue with an NVIDIA GTX 1070 in particular, so this piece of hardware may be a bit prone to leaks in general.
There was one forum that said to just wipe the entire computer, they speculated that he had some hidden malware that was sapping his computer's resources. Considering one of the comments has suggested that 'some' UNKNOWN program may be using up memory, at this point I won't be surprised if I my PC has contracted some sort of crypto-mining virus. Ugh...

Thank you again for all your help!

Last edited:
Just wanted to chime in to mention that I'm having the exact same issue. I started playing Cyberpunk 2077 in early January, on patch 1.0.6 I believe, and I've had crashes since day 1. The game crashes daily, I've had some within minutes of launching the game, and some after an hour or so. I've probably had over 50 at this point, and on two occasions, the crashes have resulted in my whole PC rebooting itself. Needless to say it's gotten extremely frustrating.

I'm working with a Ryzen 7 2700x, RTX 2080 Super, 32 GB of memory, game is installed to an SSD, drivers are up to date, and have been DDU uninstalled/reinstalled. I'm using CET, I've tried playing the game on the absolute lowest settings, I've done every suggestion I could find online short of reinstalling Windows, and I've just about given up.

I really want to enjoy this game but the crashes have left me defeated. I hope CDPR can resolve them in a future update.

Just wanted to chime in to mention that I'm having the exact same issue. I started playing Cyberpunk 2077 in early January, on patch 1.0.6 I believe, and I've had crashes since day 1. The game crashes daily, I've had some within minutes of launching the game, and some after an hour or so. I've probably had over 50 at this point, and on two occasions, the crashes have resulted in my whole PC rebooting itself. Needless to say it's gotten extremely frustrating.

I'm working with a Ryzen 7 2700x, RTX 2080 Super, 32 GB of memory, game is installed to an SSD, drivers are up to date, and have been DDU uninstalled/reinstalled. I'm using CET, I've tried playing the game on the absolute lowest settings, I've done every suggestion I could find online short of reinstalling Windows, and I've just about given up.

I really want to enjoy this game but the crashes have left me defeated. I hope CDPR can resolve them in a future update.
WOW! Nice setup!

I'm scanning the internet for ways to fix the issue, but the only solution seems to be a full PC reset/wipe.
Maybe we have the same crypto-mining malware which isn't cleaning its memory... The malware writer could have at least included that since he's stealing our resources!

Anyway, I'm gonna wait for the next patch. If it doesn't work then wipe. If it still doesn't work then punch the computer. If that doesn't work then I'll try and get a refund until the game is out of its 'early access' stage.

WOW! Nice setup!

I'm scanning the internet for ways to fix the issue, but the only solution seems to be a full PC reset/wipe.
Maybe we have the same crypto-mining malware which isn't cleaning its memory... The malware writer could have at least included that since he's stealing our resources!

Anyway, I'm gonna wait for the next patch. If it doesn't work then wipe. If it still doesn't work then punch the computer. If that doesn't work then I'll try and get a refund until the game is out of its 'early access' stage.

Thank you, and I'm in the same boat. If the next patch doesn't fix it, I'll try a windows reinstall, and if that still doesn't do it, well that's the end of Cyberpunk for me.

Been playing since launch and the game has crashed more in 2 days than it has before then. Bit concerning giving how this has been happening since the cyber attack , hoping that's just a coincidence and it's get sorted soon because that flatline pop up stops being cute real quick if you see it too much.

Top Bottom