[Bug] Oils usable while in combat

+
[Bug] Oils usable while in combat

Sword oils AND NOW FOOD are usable in combat

Edit: So now that the B&W patch has dropped, both food AND oils are usable in combat. Please CDPR fix these combat related bugs as it breaking the immersion and core combat themes in the game. These bugs trivialize what are meant to be challenging scenarios in the game
/edit

This bug was there when I put the game down six months ago and is still there now since I've just picked it up again in preparation for Blood and Wine. Please fix this bug. It further adds to the problem of the game being too easy and makes a number of talents in the mutation tree completely worthless.

Please fix asap before you stop working on this game forever.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I believe this is only disabled if you are playing on Blood and Broken Bones difficulty or higher.

iCake

Forum veteran
Hmm, I think 1.10 brought the ability to apply oils in combat, so it isn't likely it's a bug but rather it's intentional.

@SigilFey

What platform are you on? I'm on Xbox One and I can easily use oils in combat on DM. Also I thought it was always possible on PC so that's why the console versions got the same treatment.

@iCake that is correct. I am on PC and I can apply blade oils at any time, at any difficulty level. I don't remember if that was the case right from the release but it isn't likely it is going to be changed now - patch 1.20 changelog.

I don't think the devs consider it to be a bug, it was probably intended that way. I suppose it is because it is an open world game so at any time any kind of enemy can spring out of nowhere, and there would be no time for the player to prepare properly. It is different though when you are hunting a specific monster. There are valid arguments for changing this, and that would apply not only to blade oils but to any kind of consumable really, since you can take any kind of potion during a fight as well.

However, there is a solution (on PC at least) if you are willing to this mod

Being able to apply oils in combat using mouse drag and drop IS a bug. Because it is specifically disabled for the controller and for double click/use actions. I guess, they simply forgot about drag and drop and since PC players are used to this "feature" already, disabling it might not be the best idea.

Yeah, I'm on PC. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever tried. I do remember a discussion about it before. And the "drag-and-drop oils during combat bug" does ring a bell. I do remember trying to drink a decoction during battle once, and it wouldn't allow it. (Against that Foglet in the swamp, I think.)

I play this game on GoG with an Xbox controller. This isn't specific to drag and clicking with a mouse. You can just use oils whenever. Please fix. Thanks.

I play this game on GoG with an Xbox controller. This isn't specific to drag and clicking with a mouse. You can just use oils whenever. Please fix. Thanks.
Checked it and you're right: seems like they removed any restrictions with some of the latest patches (rarely play vanilla, so I haven't noticed it happened). Well, looks like they finally decided it's not a bug, but a feature.

Checked it and you're right: seems like they removed any restrictions with some of the latest patches (rarely play vanilla, so I haven't noticed it happened). Well, looks like they finally decided it's not a bug, but a feature.

What do you mean by vanilla?

Top Bottom