[Bug?] Sign damage increase with swords sheathed/unequipped.

+
[Bug?] Sign damage increase with swords sheathed/unequipped.

Hi fellow Witcher lovers. I stumbled across this strange little thing today and I wasn't sure whether it was a bug or a hidden (very well at that) feature. I've searched the forum but couldn't find any discussions on it. So, the short of it is that I get a sizeable damage boost with my igni firestream with either my sword sheathed, or unequipped (got tired of Geralt taking it out after a hit). With my griffin silver sword (basic) I do around 250 fire damage to ghouls on Fyke isle. With my sword firmly in the sheath, I do 400-450. This seems very peculiar since my silver blade is even giving me a small sign intensity bonus. I haven't tried it with other signs. I just can't think of a reason why not having a sword in hand would increase damage so significantly. Anyone else come across this? Do you think this is a bug, and if so, are CDPR aware of it and addressing it?
It kind of ruins the fun of collecting better swords and runestones for a mage build if they are actually holding your damage output back.

edit: forgot to mention I'm playing on PC with 1.04.

That is pretty strange o.o didn't really pay attention myself. to it but if thats really bugged it should be fixed.
Tho one thing i did think off that MIIIIGGHT be the reason (i doubt it but still funny hypothesis that i wanted to share) maybe you get more damage because you make signs using your hands and now you have two hands free to concentrate on the sign? :p again doubtful but yeah. I'll pay attention when i start playing again when they release patch 1.05

That is pretty strange o.o didn't really pay attention myself. to it but if thats really bugged it should be fixed.
Tho one thing i did think off that MIIIIGGHT be the reason (i doubt it but still funny hypothesis that i wanted to share) maybe you get more damage because you make signs using your hands and now you have two hands free to concentrate on the sign? :p again doubtful but yeah. I'll pay attention when i start playing again when they release patch 1.05

Hmm. Interesting point about using both hands, but if this indeed was a feature I'd have thought it would have been mentioned somewhere. Plus Geralt almost always uses one hand when casting signs (except for that intro movie for Witcher 1), so I'm not sure about that. Hopefully it will be addressed in the near future.

It is a bug unfortunately, not a feature :)
We are already addressing this but there is very very very slight chance that it will make it into PC 1.05 patch, most likely 1.06.

so will you nerf the damage of Sign with sheated swords, or will you buff sign damage with sword unsheated?

We are already addressing this but there is very very very slight chance that it will make it into PC 1.05 patch, most likely 1.06.

Thanks for the info. Glad to know it's being addressed.

so will you nerf the damage of Sign with sheated swords, or will you buff sign damage with sword unsheated?

Sheathing your sword will buff sign damage, as well as crossbows it seems.

I able to kill level 40+ guards with fully upgraded Igni signs, damage per tick (burning) is around 2500-2600 per ticks lol

will upload video later if I got PS4 back from my sister.... (occupied atm) lol

---------- Updated at 02:36 PM ----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8jt5eYIE98

Sorry for crappy quality though :/ in case you want to look at it closely, go full screen and look at red text damage, not white one.

But at you can see, normally you can't kill the guard that quick... burning with 2800+ dmg per ticks.

EDIT

Nevermind, its already uploaded the HD quality, if anyone detected crappy quality, go select highest quality please.

Last edited:

Can we expect 1.05 PC in the next few days? (thursday or friday)

I able to kill level 40+ guards with fully upgraded Igni signs, damage per tick (burning) is around 2500-2600 per ticks lol

will upload video later if I got PS4 back from my sister.... (occupied atm) lol

---------- Updated at 02:36 PM ----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8jt5eYIE98

Sorry for crappy quality though :/ in case you want to look at it closely, go full screen and look at red text damage, not white one.

But at you can see, normally you can't kill the guard that quick... burning with 2800+ dmg per ticks.

EDIT

Nevermind, its already uploaded the HD quality, if anyone detected crappy quality, go select highest quality please.

Damn, that's crazy. What's your sign/igni intensity btw? I'm curious as to whether the damage being reduced by having a sword out is the bug or it's the buff when it's sheathed.

My signs intensity is 198% when not in combat :) Igni intensity is 50%, steel sword is 30% signs intensity and silver sword also 30% signs intensity.

My Geralt is pure signs build and gears emphasis on signs intensity, Griffin gears + Igni runes.

Oh in case anyone wonder by the way, this is Death March difficulty as I aim for Platinum Trophy.

Last edited:
I have a question. Is the bug the fact that there shouldn't be scaling to level at all with bombs/crossbow/igni, or is it the other way around and we're supposed to have scaling even with weapons unsheated?

I would really like some clarification on this, seeing as want to know if this is either a exploit or a handicap.

Top Bottom