[BUG?] Skippy can't be unequipped after switching modes

+
I have run into an issue that I keep being told is a bug, but it feels intentional... I would like to know for sure before I get too much farther into the game in case i need to go back and load a prior save. I'm already 6+ hours beyond the point where the mode got switched.

The issue happened right after I hit 50 "kills" with Skippy and I get the interaction where it asks why I maim instead of kill. After it switches to stone cold killer mode, I can no longer unequip the weapon... it gets locked into the weapon slot permanently. Trying to unequip it or switch to another weapon gives me the message "Action Blocked." I don't recall this happening in my first play through of the game, but maybe I am just forgetting? My question is: is this intentional or a bug? If it is a bug, is there a fix? I mainly want to know, will Skippy become unequippable once I get to the next segment of dialogue where it asks to be returned to Regina?

I just want to complete my weapon wall in this play through... I hope that's not too much to ask!

I don't remember if you're able to unequip it because I generally keep it equipped to get the dialogue as soon as possible. But I think it could be intended for this very reason (to get the dialogue directly).
I mainly want to know, will Skippy become unequippable once I get to the next segment of dialogue where it asks to be returned to Regina?
Normally, when Skippy ask to be returned to Regina, you can unequip it and even put it in your stash.
If you put it in the stash, the quest will fail as long as Skippy stay stored. But the quest become available again if you retrieve it from your stash.

Normally, when Skippy ask to be returned to Regina, you can unequip it and even put it in your stash.
If you put it in the stash, the quest will fail as long as Skippy stay stored. But the quest become available again if you retrieve it from your stash.

since when can you stash Skippy to the wall if you say you gonna return him to Regi? Back in the days you only could store it if you deny to bring him back - "Bad user!" - was there a patch which changed it and made it storeable even if you say you are going to bring him back?

Skippy doesn't go into the cache anymore but it weighs 0 so you are ok. I can equip and unequip it fine, could a mod be getting in the way?

Skippy doesn't go into the cache anymore but it weighs 0 so you are ok. I can equip and unequip it fine, could a mod be getting in the way?
Did you "lied" to Skippy ?

As Netrunner2go said, maybe if you said that you will return it to Regina, you have to return it and are unable to put it in the stash (I never saw any point to lie to Skippy^^)
But I'm sure if you said that you keep it, you should be able to put it in the stash. You still able to return it to Regina so the quest stay active. The quest fail if you put it in your stash, but become available again if you pick up it.
If you have chosen to keep it and can't stash it, either it's a mod issue, either it's a bug specific to the 1.62...

The problem I'm currently having is... it has been quite some time now since I got the message from Skippy that it had reached 50 kills and switched modes. It is still locked into a weapon slot. I have not yet received the message about returning Skippy to Regina though... what are the triggers for that to happen? It has been many days in-game. I'm in act III... I want it gone from my inventory as soon as possible! What is it waiting for? Why won't the quest trigger? If mods are a potential problem, how would I rule that out? Disabling the mods and verifying my install doesn't seem to make a difference.

Last edited:
The problem I'm currently having is... it has been quite some time now since I got the message from Skippy that it had reached 50 kills and switched modes. It is still locked into a weapon slot. I have not yet received the message about returning Skippy to Regina though... what are the triggers for that to happen? It has been many days in-game. I'm in act III... I want it gone from my inventory as soon as possible! What is it waiting for? Why won't the quest trigger?
In theory, just "time" trigger the final dialogue. For me, generally it take few in-game days to do other things.
(skipping time, sleeping doesn't help to get the dialogue sooner).

Well I decided to just keep playing despite the issue and hope that the quest triggers soon. I have done a bunch of missions since it switched modes though... like over 10 hours of gameplay. Still no request to be returned yet...

I should add, this is a REALLY long time to have a garbage weapon locked into one of only three available weapon slots. So if this isn't a bug, then it ought to be changed. I'm just going to have to play the rest of the game with only 2 slots I guess.

Last edited:
Weird and annoying :(
Which platform?
If PC, do you use mods? Or used on this save?
Maybe try to verify the game files in case:
If console, try to clear the cache (Playstation/Xbox)
Thanks for your suggestion, but I've already tried all that. Yes I am on PC with mods. I've disabled/uninstalled all the mods and verified game files. Still can't unequip Skippy.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I've already tried all that. Yes I am on PC with mods. I've disabled/uninstalled all the mods and verified game files. Still can't unequip Skippy.
Ok :(
If it's mod(s) related, there is chance that the issue would "stay" in the save files (i.e mods active or not wouldn't change anything).

Just an idea to get rid of the gun or at least to remove it from your quick slots.
Did you complete the quest "Sweet dreams" ?
If not, do it :)
All your inventory will be removed and placed in a container during the quest. So instead of selecting the "pick up all" option, open the container and pick up everything (one by one...) except Skippy. And if you want to pick up Skippy, do it only after filling up all of your quick slots.

Unfortunately I completed the Sweet Dreams gig a while ago, even before I made this post. I did test it out though by reloading an older save... and while the locker does succeed in removing Skippy from inventory, as soon as I equip it again it gets stuck like before. So it really only works as a way of unequipping the item once, it doesn't actually fix the bug.

Shouldn't there be a way to remove Skippy using console commands or something? I remember games used to have all kinds of workarounds like that... but I guess that's not really a "thing" anymore. Sad.

(I never saw any point to lie to Skippy^^)
there is one... if you say you bring him back hes pleased and you can use him onwards with all his jokes etc. but you cant stash him in exchange - if you deny to bring him back you are able to stash him but his mind/dialogs vanish and all he says (hanging on the wall or in battles) is "Bad User!" expressing how pissed he is...

if they havent patched it - there is no way to keep the good mood and the ability to stash him at the same time..... thats why i never complete his quest on any new created char. - i wanna keep him on my wall but in a good mood and this option isnt avaiilable afaik.

I just used the CET command to stop him saying "bad user", then I replaced him with the one from the compound and put him in the stash.

I find they use too many bullets though and use a Chao or Comrades hammer now.

I just used the CET command to stop him saying "bad user", then I replaced him with the one from the compound and put him in the stash.

I find they use too many bullets though and use a Chao or Comrades hammer now.
Well pc only solution once again : /

there is one... if you say you bring him back hes pleased and you can use him onwards with all his jokes etc. but you cant stash him in exchange - if you deny to bring him back you are able to stash him but his mind/dialogs vanish and all he says (hanging on the wall or in battles) is "Bad User!" expressing how pissed he is...

if they havent patched it - there is no way to keep the good mood and the ability to stash him at the same time..... thats why i never complete his quest on any new created char. - i wanna keep him on my wall but in a good mood and this option isnt avaiilable afaik.
What you are describing is not a bug, and totally unrelated to the issue I posted about... I don't really care about using Skippy or the gun's "mood," I just want my weapon slot back and to complete my weapon display in the stash room in at least ONE play through of this game. Unfortunately, if Skippy is locked into a weapon slot and never asks to be returned, then I get neither of those things.
Post automatically merged:

Maybe with Save Editor, you should be able to find a workaround by editing the inventory.
I just tested this save editor... and I am impressed by the options! There is a lot that can be modified in there, including a flag for every gear item that says "can not be unequipped." Of course Skippy is right at the top of the list in my inventory and the flag is enabled, so I toggled that off and saved the data.

If only that worked... upon loading the game and trying to open the save file I edited, the game says "the save data is damaged" and will not load it. What's the point of a save editor that doesn't work?? UGH

Actually that seems to have been a fluke... I tried a second time and the save worked. I think the trick is to NOT overwrite the save data from within the editor, since that seemed to create a file with a size of 0 bytes. Saving to a separate file and then overwriting the original with the one I saved did the trick. I can now unequip Skippy!! :D

I am not sure what effect (if any) this will have on completing the quest and being prompted to return Skippy to Regina... I will report back if the quest triggers or if I can figure out a way to make that work without further edits. I may be able to stash Skippy right away just by unflagging him as a quest item in the save editor... but that would probably ruin the quest, so I haven't done that yet in hopes that it'll still work the "right" way.

Last edited:
I just tested this save editor... and I am impressed by the options! There is a lot that can be modified in there, including a flag for every gear item that says "can not be unequipped." Of course Skippy is right at the top of the list in my inventory and the flag is enabled, so I toggled that off and saved the data.

If only that worked... upon loading the game and trying to open the save file I edited, the game says "the save data is damaged" and will not load it. What's the point of a save editor that doesn't work?? UGH
It was updated after the last update, so "in theory" it should work.
But some reported the same issue :
(some fixed it by changing one thing at time)

It was updated after the last update, so "in theory" it should work.
But some reported the same issue :
(some fixed it by changing one thing at time)
I tried again and edited my previous reply... it actually did work, there was just a problem with overwriting the save data. It could also have been trying to edit more than one thing at a time. I might test it more later, but at this point I got what I needed so I may just leave it alone!

I tried again and edited my previous reply... it actually did work, there was just a problem with overwriting the save data. It could also have been trying to edit more than one thing at a time. I might test it more later, but at this point I got what I needed so I may just leave it alone!
Ok, nice ;)

Top Bottom