[Bug?] We need to talk about 1.3 woman average (wa) baseheads/morphtargets

+
So I did a sandra dorsett/bluemoon cyberware mashup a while back and it got utterly trashed in 1.3. After trying to figure out why and rolling a completely new character, it is clear the player female morphtargets are not the same pre and post patch. It may well be a completely different head. Don't have tools to uncook 1.3 mesh buffers yet because the first thing I want to do is compare 1.23 basehead to 1.3 basehead vert for vert. I cannot understand why this change was made.

Ignore the hair in the screenshots below. 1.3 hair is different textures + subdivided mesh. Pay attention to the face shape and the earrings that now do not follow the head morphs correctly. Several earrings now completely disappear inside the earlobe.

Patch 1.3:

Patch 1.23:

Side by side comparison showing trashed face cyberware:

The face cyberware decal meshes for bluemoon and sandra dorsett do not have morph targets so they never deform to player eye/nose/mouth/jaw/ear offsets.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about it, but it couldn't be something that was tested and inadvertently included in the patch when shouldn't have been ?
Because with all the changes they have made, leaving something so obvious, it seems weird. Not tested on male V, but on Female V, all the piercings are shifted towards the back of the head (nose ones goes straight inside and the "bar" of the ear "floats" halfway in the air).
So it might be a good idea to wait for the next hotfix and a possible "rollback" before saying it's a definitve change :)

PS : On the screenshots, except the piercings, the only difference that jumps out at me is the eyes (but they may not be the same).

Last edited:
I did a difference blend in photoshop. Subtracting 2 pixels with the same colour value = black:

Ears in 1.3 are inexplicably huge. I would need to do a profile view but the face cyberware clips into the face. This could due to the ear morphing? Maybe? Jaw and eye combination has the most influence on the shape of the cheeks though.

Definitely possible but then I can't explain the face cyberware clipping. The face cyberware decal meshes are the only thing I know are vert for vert exactly the same pre and post patch 1.3. This is why I want to compare the basehead vert buffers but we don't have updated tools to do that just yet.

At the end of the day, I just want to fix my mod, but its so hard to tell whats changed when they dont document it in the patch notes.

Last edited: