[BUGGED QUEST] "The Sword, Famine and Perfidy" from Hearts of Stone

+
[BUGGED QUEST] "The Sword, Famine and Perfidy" from Hearts of Stone

In the new Hearts of Stone quest "The Sword, Famine and Perfidy" I have looted the chest at the shipwreck but the quest won't update so I can't finish it.

I think I might have been interrupted while looting the chest by a drowner or something, so the game still wants me to loot the quest to finish the quest, but I already have and it won't update.

GOG version.

I can confirm it happened to me, too, even though i killed the drowners before opening the chest. I reloaded a previous save (fortunately made only a couple of minutes before) and tried again and then it worked.

This quest needs a retroactive fix. I'm not about to reload a save that far back just to get this quest out of my log.

ok heres what happened to me.. i looted the chest BEFORE dealing with the drowners, and the quest bugged out. I reloaded my last save, this time i killed the drowners first, then looted, and the quest completed - so either reloading and looting again fixed the quest (it was a fluke fail the first time) or drowners first before looting is some kind of bugged requirement for completing the quest.... hope that helps.

edit: heh, second post already said this... thats good, seems drowners first is the bugged quest requirement.

Last edited:
Just got this on latest patch for PS4. Thankfully realised it was likely bugged after looting the chest didn't clear it, so I reloaded to most recent save and tried again. Worked the second attempt.

First try I killed both drowners before attempting to open the chest and that bugged. Second time I killed one drowner, looted the chest, then killed second drowner, that time it worked.

Bugged out on me as well but I had killed the drowners first and I cannot open the chest. So loaded a previous quick save, jumped in the water, used witcher sense, opened the chest, quest complete. Back to the Path.

Last edited:
Wildcardgsx;n8463050 said:
Bugged out on me as well but I had killed the drowners first and I cannot open the chest. So loaded a previous quick save, jumped in the water, used witcher sense, opened the chest, quest complete. Back to the Path.

This is the spirit!

Back during the "Level -1 NPC" days, I would hit random bugs like this all the time. I once had it happen with Nithral during the Wandering in the Dark quest ad nauseam. I just kept reloading and running up to him. Blammo! -- for no apparent reason -- it would suddenly start working fine. Then, I kept reloading, just to test it. It would lock him up as -1, "Praise the Sun" stance 3 times in a row. Then, he would work fine 5 times in a row. Then, only 1 lock up. Then, endless "working fine" reloads. My record was almost 20 tries...but dang it -- he eventually worked that time, too!

I've had similar instances with bugged chests (the hidden "basement" under the windmill in White Orchard was especially problematic for me.) Enough reloading always made it open. And to be fair, I had virtually no issues with the game at all during my 3rd and 4th playthroughs, though I did skip a lot of side content on those runs and focused on my build, instead. ~60 hour runs, almost exclusively main story.

The moral of the story is: "Reload-reload-reload."

Honestly, I hesitate to post this (a tiny bit), since it is not really a "solution". But I've just had it work so many times in my favor that I feel it's worth it if you really, really want whatever is behind "the bug". (Note: most chest loot in side-quests is forgettable. If it's not a quest item...just skip it. In <5 levels...you won't care. Besides, level isn't everything. I normally use the Viper swords until level 20+...:eek:)

apparently i looted it waaay before i got the quest... can't go back to a previous load since i just hit lvl 100 and i'm pretty sure i haven't been there since atleast 50 or 60 levels ago... guess i need to skip this quest...

hey, same happend to me i just reloaded and killed the drowners and went back to the surface to make sure no other drowners were left and dived back in and it worked.

Fix for those that want to finish the quest but it bugged out after opening the chest.
1. Enable console in game (https://steamcommunity.com/app/292030/discussions/0/343786195665968401)
2. Go to where the chest is underwater
3. Open console, write "addfact(ep1_poi05_cont_open)"

It worked for me, if there are any issues, there are all the facts used by this quest, try different one if needed. I reccomend saving the game in 2 slots before doing this, in case it causes any issues to tha game state

ep1_poi05_cont_open
ep1_poi_05_all_barrels_destroyed
ep1_poi_05_barrel_destro
ep1_poi_05_trapdoor_opened

Top Bottom