Bugs (POST 1.22)

+
Bugs (POST 1.22)

These are FPS drops I've noticed from animation that can occur when fighting certain monsters.
*NOTE: I changed this post to be more specific on fps drops due to animation changes.

- Rot-fiends animation when beginning to explode drops fps.
- Sirens being killed can drop fps.
- Too many wolves on screen drops fps even when dead (most likely hair works problem.)

System Specs.
i7-4770k (base clock)
970gtx x2 SLI (base clock)
16gb RAM (1600 mghz)

Last edited:
Optimization Issues
These aren't necessarily bugs, but most likely a optimization issue.
- Rot-fiends animation when beginning to explode drops fps.
- Sirens being killed can drop fps.
- Too many wolves on screen drops fps even when dead (most likely hair works problem.)

System Specs.
i7-4770k (base clock)
970gtx x2 SLI (base clock)
16gb RAM (1600 mghz)

Of cause you'll get fps drops but does this mean you are getting stuttering? Why not OC your CPU.

You can also try locking you framerate to 60 or 30.

I think it's harder for the developers to track bugs when they are gathered like this, but I could be wrong. I found that the 1.22 patch introduced several issues, e.g oils not applying correctly on wolf gear, Roach is tailless, blue lined shaders can be observed on some clothes and armor pieces. I hope the next update will address some of these. In regards to the optimization issues you've posted; Wolves hair physics are still active when they are dead, so the framerate drops because of all the hair when Hairworks is enabled. But I never seen framedrops when rotfiends or sirens are being killed, I must double check that one.

I have had my gpu and cpu overclocked before, but I'm making sure that I know the visual bugs don't happen due to artifacting and what not from the overclock. I have my framerate locked at 60, but something due to the animation for siren and rot-fiend causes some overdue stress making the frame rate drop until its finished.

---------- Updated at 05:29 PM ----------

I haven't had that oil problem, but I did have roach's tail disappear in patch 1.21 they seemed to have fixed it for me in 1.22. I'm thinking what they might be able to do for hair works on some enemies is that once they die after certain amount of time they just bake in the corpse so its not rendering the hair works.

I have had my gpu and cpu overclocked before, but I'm making sure that I know the visual bugs don't happen due to artifacting and what not from the overclock. I have my framerate locked at 60, but something due to the animation for siren and rot-fiend causes some overdue stress making the frame rate drop until its finished.

CPU overclock won't cause any artifacting.

Can you provide more information. How big are the framerate drops, does it cause visible stutter, what are you using to lock the framerate.

Have you read this thread

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/63999-The-compendium-of-tweaks-and-fixes-for-the-PC-version.

Ultimately the solution could be as simple as reducing a few graphics settings or not using hair works.

Particle effects can be quite costly. For example, I lose a few frames after throwing a Northern Wind while fighting certain mages can drop my framerate down to the mid 40s.

Hello! Sorry to hear about the issues above interfering with your experience. However, a reminder:

Please do not post about multiple issues in a single thread. This creates unfocused discussions that are hard to read and keep track of.

I think the bulk of what your experiencing can be sorted by ensuring that Frame Limit is set to 60, as you identify, and you may want to try turning Vsync ON / OFF (the opposite of whatever you're using now). Hairworks is a resource hog, so toggling that off may help. Lastly, overclocking of any sort is not a great idea for TW3, as timing and sync are very important to get things running smoothly. (You don't want one process getting too far ahead of or behind another.)

See if that affects anything. If not, open up a new thread for each specific type of issue you're seeing.

Are we free to leave Toussaint before completing the main quest or the Corvo Bianco renovations?
I heard it used to cause nasty bugs and glitches including the unusable containers/armour stands.
Has the patch finally fixed these?

Here's a procedure I have to do everytime after downloading or cut the scene. The tail and mane broke after using tournament armor on a horse. I used to use Ophir saddle. I really like it. To remedy this situation I have to carry an extra saddle.

https://youtu.be/zaCjlYdV7Cw

Last edited:
Are we free to leave Toussaint before completing the main quest or the Corvo Bianco renovations?
I heard it used to cause nasty bugs and glitches including the unusable containers/armour stands.
Has the patch finally fixed these?

Well...yes...mostly...I think. The game can still offer surprises, though. I would finish the main business if I wanted to avoid issues and enjoy the game. If I wanted to join in the Wild (Bug) Hunt, I would commute between Toussaint and Velen every weekend.

Here's a procedure I have to do everytime after downloading or cut the scene. The tail and mane broke after using tournament armor on a horse. I used to use Ophir saddle. I really like it. To remedy this situation I have to carry an extra saddle.

https://youtu.be/zaCjlYdV7Cw

In my game, the hair and tail go missing. I've begun to simply become accustomed to Roach being bald. I pretend that a monster did it. Or Yen when she got angry. Or I have him shaved every time I get a shave. (OMG-It-looks-so-weird...)

Yes! I get the FPS drop whenever I attack sirens and sometimes when they are swimming in the water. It's really bugging me. I've tried turning Hair-works off to see if that is the issue, but it doesn't seem to affect it. I have limited mods installed + enb - I do have everything maxed out, with Hairworks AA on 2x - game is locked at 35.5fps via nvidia inspector. The game runs higher, but the framerate is inconsistent, hence why I locked it - I play triple screen. This problem seems to have something to do with that enemy. I've fought bears and wolves that have a lot of fur and it never stutters or drops with Hairworks on.

EDIT: So the stutter happens when the sirens are in the water, and the final blow in combat - all other times the framerate remains fine around them.

Last edited:
Yes! I get the FPS drop whenever I attack sirens and sometimes when they are swimming in the water. It's really bugging me. I've tried turning Hair-works off to see if that is the issue, but it doesn't seem to affect it. I have limited mods installed + enb - I do have everything maxed out, with Hairworks AA on 2x - game is locked at 35.5fps via nvidia inspector. The game runs higher, but the framerate is inconsistent, hence why I locked it - I play triple screen. This problem seems to have something to do with that enemy. I've fought bears and wolves that have a lot of fur and it never stutters or drops with Hairworks on.

EDIT: So the stutter happens when the sirens are in the water, and the final blow in combat - all other times the framerate remains fine around them.

Have you tried using the game's Vsync / Frame Limit? Does it occur in vanilla as well? What are your settings in enblocal.ini?

Have you tried using the game's Vsync / Frame Limit? Does it occur in vanilla as well? What are your settings in enblocal.ini?

Sorry I thought it was enb, but it's SweetFx I use. I have gsync monitors - so vsync is on externally and I also lock the frames. I lose about 10fps when it happens.

If it happens only with the sirens, and you can recreate the issue every time, then there's likely something about the sirens that is messing with the frame timings. Your setup is, shall we say, non-standard for a game as demanding as TW3.

Let's try to see if it's the monitor setup first. Make a new save and disable all mods, especially the SweetFX preset. Run the game only on the primary monitor, and see if the issue occurs. If you can get the issue to reliably recur at that point, send a ticket into CDPR Support.

OK it does happen withe Rot-fiends also and with the giant venomous Spider crab creatures (forget their name).

@McTeaV - what mods (if any do you have running) I'm tempted to try a clean install and remove everything - but if you can name the mods and if you are using any sweetFX/enb?

Every time I change a line in the user.settings ini config, when I launch the game it goes back to default ultra.

Please fix this, CDPR! I believe in you!

Every time I change a line in the user.settings ini config, when I launch the game it goes back to default ultra.

Please fix this, CDPR! I believe in you!

Be sure you don't have the files set to "Read-only" and that you are editing the correct file in the correct place (Documents\The Witcher 3\user.settings). It could also be a result of the file being synced with some form of cloud storage that is automatically restoring a synced user.settings. Either way, the game will only rebuild the file if it is missing or you're installing, patching, or verifying/validating.

Searching Steam forums and others I stumbled across quite a few people having this fps drops with the same enemies - it may be tied to the graphics driver. I REALLY don't want to roll back my driver, and I'm not sure why a new driver version would cause this issue, but is this something CDPR work out with Nvidia?

Until the cause of the issue is known, that's impossible to answer for certain. It certainly does seem to be something related to hardware/drivers, as most users do not experience this. Best bet is to send the issue into CDPR Support directly.

Additionally, if users on this thread could post their GPU, Driver Version, and Windows Version, it could help to start narrowing down possible sources of the problem.

Be sure you don't have the files set to "Read-only" and that you are editing the correct file in the correct place (Documents\The Witcher 3\user.settings). It could also be a result of the file being synced with some form of cloud storage that is automatically restoring a synced user.settings. Either way, the game will only rebuild the file if it is missing or you're installing, patching, or verifying/validating. .

I have the GOG Galaxy version of TW3, I don't think it has cloud storage.

Top Bottom