Building a gaming PC

+
I'd use AMD for GPU. Probably cheaper and better if you want that performance level.

Also, unless you don't want to spend time on it, assembling it yourself you can pick better parts.

I'd use AMD for GPU. Probably cheaper and better if you want that performance level.

Also, unless you don't want to spend time on it, assembling it yourself you can pick better parts.
Thanks for the advice. Between work and family, I definitely don't have time to do it myself. I'll look into AMD options.

I'll look into AMD options.

I would put my daily usage ahead of hardware choice in order to make an informed decision before buying any piece of hardware, especially in these crazy days. There are programs that favor AMD tech features as well as others which favor Nvidia ones.

I would put my daily usage ahead of hardware choice in order to make an informed decision before buying any piece of hardware, especially in these crazy days. There are programs that favor AMD tech features as well as others which favor Nvidia ones.
Yeah I'll compare all the options before I buy.

Also...check the ASUS Republic of Gamers line. They're very good systems for the price, and very well balanced. My guess is they're going to run around $1,200+ though. (Plus, prices on tech are being gouged hard right now.)

First I would really like it if someone from CDPR could answer this, but if anyone has some facts that would be good to...
Will a RT 6800XT work just as good for ray tracing as would the RTX 3000 series card ON DAY ONE, in the context of , CDPR partnered with Nivida.
"Nivida says, For Cyberpunk 2077, we’ve partnered with CD PROJEKT RED as an official technology partner to bring real-time ray tracing to the game. "

I have read

Back in October, Gfinity Esports shared an excerpt from PC Gamer magazine that suggested Cyberpunk 2077’s snazzy ray-tracing effects (i.e., diffuse illumination, reflections, ambient occlusion, and shadows) would be exclusive to NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics cards at launch.

“In an interview with PC Gamer’s magazine, art director Jakup Knapik confirmed that only Nvidia Geforce cards will support the feature when the game launches next month,” the website wrote.

Now we’re learning that may not be the case. According to a Q&A with NVIDIA’s Brian Burke (via Wccftech), Cyberpunk 2077’s ray tracing is based on Microsoft’s DirectX API. That means it should work on AMD’s Radeon RX 6000 Series GPUs, which fully support DXR.

Cyberpunk 2077 uses the industry standard DirectX Ray Tracing API,” Burke noted. “It will work on any DXR-compatible GPU. Nothing related to Cyberpunk 2077 ray tracing is proprietary to NVIDIA.”

So I understand marketing talk,
"Nivida says, For Cyberpunk 2077, we’ve partnered with CD PROJEKT RED as an official technology partner to bring real-time ray tracing to the game. "

Is that what this is ?

I've seen some recent post, that CP 2077 ray tracing will work on AMD.

I'm more interested in whether they are going to add a Vulkan renderer instead of DX12 one that would use stadnard ray tracing extensions that should work across all hardware.
Post automatically merged:

Sapphire 6800XT cards:

https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/nitro-radeon-rx-6800-xt-16g-gddr6

https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/pulse-radeon-rx-6800-xt-16g-gddr6

Also cool to see Sapphire finally listing Linux as officially supported:

Linux®, Windows® 7*, Windows® 10, and Windows 8.1. 64-bit operating system required
*Does not support all features including but not limited to Hardware Raytracing

Last edited:
I've seen some recent post, that CP 2077 ray tracing will work on AMD.

I'm more interested in whether they are going to add a Vulkan renderer instead of DX12 one that would use stadnard ray tracing extensions that should work across all hardware.

Sapphire 6800XT cards:

https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/nitro-radeon-rx-6800-xt-16g-gddr6

https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/consumer/pulse-radeon-rx-6800-xt-16g-gddr6

Also cool to see Sapphire finally listing Linux as officially supported:

But hasn't the AMD said that they will support raytracing via DX12 (DXR) and not the Vulkan?

First I would really like it if someone from CDPR could answer this, but if anyone has some facts that would be good to...
Will a RT 6800XT work just as good for ray tracing as would the RTX 3000 series card ON DAY ONE, in the context of , CDPR partnered with Nivida.

I have read

Back in October, Gfinity Esports shared an excerpt from PC Gamer magazine that suggested Cyberpunk 2077’s snazzy ray-tracing effects (i.e., diffuse illumination, reflections, ambient occlusion, and shadows) would be exclusive to NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics cards at launch.

“In an interview with PC Gamer’s magazine, art director Jakup Knapik confirmed that only Nvidia Geforce cards will support the feature when the game launches next month,” the website wrote.

Now we’re learning that may not be the case. According to a Q&A with NVIDIA’s Brian Burke (via Wccftech), Cyberpunk 2077’s ray tracing is based on Microsoft’s DirectX API. That means it should work on AMD’s Radeon RX 6000 Series GPUs, which fully support DXR.

Cyberpunk 2077 uses the industry standard DirectX Ray Tracing API,” Burke noted. “It will work on any DXR-compatible GPU. Nothing related to Cyberpunk 2077 ray tracing is proprietary to NVIDIA.”

So I understand marketing talk,

Is that what this is ?

There's no answer to your question. What you're talking about is not only subjective, but it's prone to far too many variables for anyone to ever give a fully certifiable response. (That's likely why you'll receive no response or a non-committal response.)

What can be said is:
The better the card, the better the performance will likely be. Will an older model with lower specs work as well as a newer model with better specs? Nope. Probably not. Does that mean the newer, better model will not have issues? Nope. Issues can crop up anywhere. Will this Nvidia card work better than that AMD card? Maybe. Maybe not.

When a company "partners" with a studio, that doesn't guarantee any specific results. It's simply that the two teams are working together to try to implement something in the most efficient way they can. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't, regardless of everyone's best efforts.

So, in short, there are no guarantees about anything. Especially not concerning how a game will run on XYZ system given the millions of potential system configurations out there. If your system meets or exceeds the requirements, and is built with hardware that works well together, it should be fine. Or it may have issues anyway. In the end, it will work for you the way it works for you, and that will be it.

So, in short: Nvidia lags behind in scenarios without RT and up to 1440p. AMD still sucks in RT and the "infinity cache" is in no way a replacement for slow RAM and bus (slower 4K performance). Overall, 6800 is a nice alternative to 3070, at least till 3070TI comes out, 6800XT is cheaper than 3080, but lacks performance in RT and 4K.

I don't really care about RT or 4K, so I'm getting RX 6800 XT.

Also, I've seen benchmarks where 6800 XT beats 3080 in 4K. So Nvidia doesn't have a conclusive edge. And I haven't seen any benchmarks showing Vulkan ray tracing performance comparison. Ray tracing is a useful bonus, not something where I'd care about performance much.

Nvidia also has abysmal performance with vkd3d-proton according to developers. Which will be needed to play CP2077 on Linux.

Ray Tracing sucks all over the place, even with the 3090. The only game changer is DLSS.

Top Bottom