Building a gaming PC

+
What do you have right now?

Nvidia GTX 680. It's quite enough for me for the time being, but I'm interested in switching to the open graphics stack. And RX 480 sounds like the best option in the near future for that purpose. If Vega will come out sometime later this year, I can probably wait, but if it will be much later - I'd rather not.

Nvidia GTX 680. It's quite enough for me for the time being, but I'm interested in switching to the open graphics stack. And RX 480 sounds like the best option in the near future for that purpose. If Vega will come out sometime later this year, I can probably wait, but if it will be much later - I'd rather not.

Vega is probably only very late this year.

Yeah. I'll take some time analyzing benchmarks. Also, currently support for new AMD GPUs in both Mesa and kernel is very fresh, seems like things are only starting to roll in, so may be waiting wouldn't be such a bad thing.

From what I've heard, RX 480 is on par with GTX 980, so it's still quite an improvement. Plus I can start testing / reporting bugs for radeonsi sooner ;)

I'll probably get the upcoming RX 480, though I'm still not decided whether I should wait for Vega or get Polaris now.
What I meant was there will certainly be some differences in design between different models when it comes to one and the same card. For example, some might offer a better cooling system than the others, different prices, customer support and warranty, etc, etc.

I say wait a bit longer if you’re not in a hurry. See some benchmarks, user reviews, etc. Although Vega is probably not gonna happen before October at the earliest. Perhaps even next year.

Actual reviews and benchmarks should come out today. As far as I know the embargo for RX 480 ends on June 29 (today). Should probably wait for those, because I saw some weirdly mixed "leaks". Some say it's as fast as 980, some say it is a little faster than a stock 970, and some say it's in between. It'll be clear today. But the important take from this will be - I believe - that it will give a hell of a performance for a $199 card. It is marketed as a 1080p (and maaaybe 1440p) card anyway, so it seems like they are going to hit their target - the mainstream gamer - quite well.

I guess the RX 480 should perform better than the R9 390 and GTX 970. (at stock speeds)

I think the RX 480 is not intended for taking on Nvidia high-end models! (considering the low price)

Cool review. So, now check that out!

AMD RX 480 Review - The Best Graphics Card for the money?

------------

But it seems it's a GPU to the masses, so not something extra special.

Even so, it seems the GTX 480 delivers very strong DX12 performance! So for that price, and for AMD fans, a good choice.

If AMD doesn't mess with the drivers again, it's a good bang for the buck.

Enjoy![h=1][/h]

Last edited:
Also consider, this GPU is not intended for UHD 4K gaming!

Well, for the 200 price fee, i thing decent enough.

THE ONE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION IS THIS!

That's a 5.8TF power machine. And at 4K you don't even hit the 30fps mark. (on the most games)

Consider now this|: The GTX 480 tests are running on a Intel Core i7-5960X Extreme Edition setup at 4.4GHz!

So, how many people having such a CPU? That means, that on a normal i5 or even an i7 processor the performance will be even lower.

How the hell will Microsoft get it to work - getting native 4K and 60fps from an 6TF low power (all on one) chip,
that doesn't have the oomph of an full fledged high speed processor?

I thing that's the lie of the century!

Article in question: AMD Radeon R9 RX 480 8GB review

Last edited:
Benchmarks were posted: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-rx480-linux&num=4

---------- Updated at 11:32 AM ----------

But it seems it's a GPU to the masses, so not something extra special.

It's pretty special because it has official support for open drivers (except for Vulkan yet). Nvidia is nowhere near that.

---------- Updated at 11:40 AM ----------

Overall, OpenGL benchmarks are mixed, in some cases RX 480 is better than GTX 980, in some worse. I'd say in general - it's roughly comparable to GTX 970, but the card is much cheaper. The good news, Mesa results are very similar to closed OpenGL implementation by AMD, which means it's already competitive with it, and AMD will probably drop closed one in some future.

---------- Updated at 11:42 AM ----------

Vulkan tests were pretty good, and beat GTX 980.

---------- Updated at 11:44 AM ----------

I'd say for $200+ - it's a good deal, until Vega will come out.

---------- Updated at 12:00 PM ----------

Last edited:
I wasn't impressed with the 480 at all... was hoping with newer architecture it'd at least be on the same level as a GTX 980. It wouldn't be a bad card for a budget build but the performance is just lackluster. If you want to go AMD and don't need a card immediately then waiting for next card release would likely be a good idea.

@freakie1one: They could make it beefier, but it would be more expensive then too. So they on purpose made it mid-high range, rather than high-high one. I.e. they optimized the price here, rather than performance. For more performance it's indeed better to wait for Vega. But for quite a lot of use cases RX 480 is more than good enough.

As I said above, you can compare RX 480 roughly to GTX 970. And it's not a bad level. Especially for a fraction of the price.

---------- Updated at 12:53 PM ----------

Personally, I want something like Vega, so for me the question would be, do I want to spend $200 now, and then buy another card again (this year)? Not sure yet about that one, since on the other hand I want to start using open drivers sooner.

@freakie1one: They could make it beefier, but it would be more expensive then too. So they on purpose made it mid-high range, rather than high-high one. I.e. they optimized the price here, rather than performance. For more performance it's indeed better to wait for Vega. But for quite a lot of use cases RX 480 is more than good enough.

As I said above, you can compare RX 480 roughly to GTX 970. And it's not a bad level. Especially for a fraction of the price.

---------- Updated at 12:53 PM ----------

Personally, I want something like Vega, so for me the question would be, do I want to spend $200 now, and then buy another card again (this year)? Not sure yet about that one, since on the other hand I want to start using open drivers sooner.

I can sympathize with not wanting to wait longer... I've been waiting since May 27th to get my hands on a new GPU but still can't get the one I want (due to limited stock). So I basically have a brand new rig that is being held back by a GTX 680 and I can't play any of the games I want to (since I'm running at 3440x1440 and the 680 just can't handle that res).

Since Vega likely won't be out for 6+ months I'd say go with the RX 480 and sell it shortly before Vega is released. That way you'd minimize your losses and downtime (that is if there are games your current GPU can't handle).

Top Bottom