Building a gaming PC

+
eskiMoe;n7718830 said:
but if you own an NVIDIA card it doesn't really matter since you can't take advantage of it anyway.

Exactly, and there are only a few g-sync monitors and they are pretty expensive so I'm not sure if this pays off.

Imo, it is, but your mileage may vary. Go test some G-Sync monitors in a store or order one from a store with a good return policy.

Yeah that's a good hint. I also thought about that. And I want to buy one that lasts for several years and if it really pays of I'm ready spend some more money.

eskiMoe;n7763460 said:
By the way, what monitor did you buy?

LG 27UD58-B. 4k, IPS, Freesync range 40-60 Hz. I'll fiddle around with it today and see if I can get that lower refresh rate lower, via CRU (custom resolution utility).

Update: I now have a Freesync range of 33-60 Hz. Just short of the LFC regime for whole range variable refresh rate, dammit. ;)
Well, below 33 FPS/Hz is not fluid under any circumstances, so I can live with that.

I'm losing it, very soon now. PC is doing some sort of emergency shutdown after every ~30 minutes of TW3 @ 4k. Some part apparently is overheating - but which? And why? The case is rather well vented... exasperating.

The power supply is brand new, and it's nothing wrong with its power output. I can't rule out the possibility of it overheating. CPU and GPU were at unproblematic temperatures shortly before the crashes (75 / 60 °C, i tabbed to desktop to check gpu-z and hwmonitor temp logs). It's all rather weird.

Faulty motherboard? Or it's also new? With GPU it can happen if they don't get enough power (for example you didn't connect the extra power cable from the PSU). Reference RX480 had this issue because they were drawing too much power form PCIe. Sapphire Nitro+ ones have extra power connector.

The whole platform is old, it's Intel's 1155 sandy bridge generation. I had to replace the mainboard recently, but it's used (can't buy new 1155 mainboards anymore, ridiculous prices and shitty availability).
As I said, I rule out the power output of the PSU as error source, as it's a very high quality supply and it has been tested at a PC store (where I brought the PC when the old motherboard had died).
It could overheat, although it shouldn't, either. Other parts of the system are much more likely to overheat, maybe even ram, hard drives, or the motherboard itself. I'd need thermal sensors or a thermal camera to get to the bottom of this. :-/

Memory shortage would not force the PC to immediate shutdown, and it's 16 GB. Ram overheating is certainly a possibility, as with nearly everything else :(

M4xw0lf I had a similar problem a couple years ago (PC emergency shutdown while gaming) and the culprit was a faulty brand new GPU (GTX 970). Any spare GPUs around so you could test it?

eskiMoe;n7776790 said:
M4xw0lf I had a similar problem a couple years ago (PC emergency shutdown while gaming) and the culprit was a faulty brand new GPU (GTX 970). Any spare GPUs around so you could test it?

In theory, yes. Only my previous GPU is so old I can't use it to run the same scenario (W3 / 4k) and provoke the same heat output and strain on the other components like PSU and CPU.

I will experiment with open case and different orientation of the case, to see if changes in airflow might prevent hot spots and make sure that none of my components simply can't handle the work load.

What GPU are you using to run TW3 in 4K?

Btw, my GTX 970 also had issues and caused immediate, unexpected shutdowns. I had to return it, but the replacement has been working flawlessly ever since.

To all large screen users: what's your experience playing with screens larger than 27"? (considering we sit relatively close to a monitor). I currently own a nice Dell 24" IPS which I love, but I'd like something larger to be able to watch stuff (eg. video) more comfortably. Alternatively I thought about purchasing a regular HDTV and use it as a second monitor, only for "TV".

Last edited:
volsung;n7780450 said:

Btw, my GTX 970 also had issues and caused immediate, unexpected shutdowns. I had to return it, but the replacement has been working flawlessly ever since.

To all large screen users: what's your experience playing with screens larger than 27"? (considering we sit relatively close to a monitor). I currently own a nice Dell 24" IPS which I love, but I'd like something larger to be able to watch stuff (eg. video) more comfortably. Alternatively I thought about purchasing a regular HDTV and use it as a second monitor, only for "TV".
I have a 34" ultrawide as my main monitor and a 55" 1080p TV as a "video monitor" and occasional console TV. Works for me. The ultrawide fills my fov quite nicely and it doesn't "feel" too big since it's vertically the same size as a standard 27" 16:9 monitor. I have used 32" 16:9 monitors and they felt uncomfortably big because of their height. Ofc your mileage may vary.

tl;dr 27"max for 16:9, if you want more screen real estate, go for ultrawide.

Last edited:
Ha, it seems simply turning my case on it's front side improves the airflow enough to prevent the heat issue :D
Just battled for Kaer Morhen and slew Imlerith without crashing.
volsung;n7780450 said:

I have an R9 Nano. It usually gives me FPS in the low 30s in 4k with a mix of mostly high, a few medium, and a few ultra settings.

Regarding monitor size: my 4k screen is 27" exactly. I imagined it bigger ^^ But the pixel density is really nice on the eyes.

Top Bottom