Building a gaming PC

+
Would you guys prefer a 4k monitor or 1440p & 144hz? I am leaning towards 1440p with 144hz just because I feel like the smooth 144 fps just looks better than 4k running at 60hz. Need to make a decision on which one to get for this game.

It's a new API that can replace OpenGL, but it's not built on OpenGL. Its based on Mantle which was designed and developed by AMD. AMD gave Mantle to Khronos, where many participants worked on developing Vulkan out of it. MS being MS, instead of participating, used the same ideas to make their knock off - DX12.

Last edited:
Greetings,

With the upcoming launch of Cyberpunk 2077 im thinking of building a desktop to enjoy the game.
My goal is to build a computer to play the game at the hightest settings possible.So im thinking for a RTX 2080ti build.
Since im not an expert in pc building id love to hear your opinions.
What is better?To customize a build from a website like ibuypower or to buy specific parts and install them myself?
I was thinking for something like this :

Thank you for your suggestions,
Poupa

I'd say wait until the game comes out, and then make your build using hardware available then. By that time, there will be more options to choose from. If you need something now, consider something else. I simply think 2080ti is crazily overpriced, so not something I'd recommend to anyone.

So you think a build around RTX 2080 is a way better option and the upgrade to ti isnt worth it ?
Or even go to a 2070 for a much more price friendly build?
Thank you

Personally, I'm not so positive about Nvidia options, so neither. Current high end AMD cards would be already adequate for the game. But there should be more AMD and Intel high end cards to choose from next year, and given wider range of options, prices also should be less crazy than they are today.

I.e. my view on this - get an RX 5700 XT if you need something right now. Wait until next year for higher end options.

Last edited:
So you think a build around RTX 2080 is a way better option and the upgrade to ti isnt worth it ?
Thank you
If you have the money then definitely go for the 2080 ti, it's a much better card. Also i would never buy a pre-built computer, you save a lot of money by building it yourself.

What is better?To customize a build from a website like ibuypower or to buy specific parts and install them myself?

Build it yourself. "Building" a PC basically consists of taking parts and mashing them together. It shouldn't be intimidating and is often cheaper compared to buying pre-built systems. Provided you use compatible parts and observe proper safety there aren't many ways for it to go wrong.

Thank you

Hard to say with the game months away. In general it's best to take a wait and see approach with this type of thing. Until official requirements are released it's at best a guessing game.

RX 5700 XT, especially custom models is roughly on par with Nvidia GTX 2070 Super.

I have a few reasons though, mostly because I have a G-Sync monitor from ages ago and want to take advantage of it still and also I was lucky enough to snag the founders edition very recently at RRP would you believe :) (so yes I actually already own it).

And I will admit to being suckered in at the idea of ray tracing *ahem*

Yeah, Gsync is causing a lock-in problem. Though I expect it to decline in usage, due to Nvidia finally starting to support standard variable refresh rate (adaptive sync), so probably most display makers will simply stop making Gsync models, and make standard VRR that works with all GPUs, like LG already did with LG 27GL850-B.

Yeah, Gsync is causing a lock-in problem. Though I expect it to decline in usage, due to Nvidia finally starting to support standard variable refresh rate (adaptive sync), so probably most display makers will simply stop making Gsync models, and make standard VRR that works with all GPUs, like LG already did with LG 27GL850-B.

Wow that's a nice monitor and very affordable for what it has, thanks for sharing.

Yep, I'm planning to get one soon, though it has very spotty availability, basically sold out everywhere. Also, still figuring out, if VRR works with Navi on Linux to begin with. I've seen some conflicting reports about it. But hopefully it will make TW3 playable in 2560x1440 with good framerate and without tearing using Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT :)

My plans for 2020 gaming are as modest and budget as reasonable as they can be compared to when RTX and latest CPUs happened. I have no urge to build a gaming PC from scratch but some of the hardware is downright obsolete and needs replacement.
Monitor is Philips 278E9QJAB - IPS, curved, 27", external psu, 75hz refresh rate - not 144 but not 60 either. 1080P, sounds like trouble but in reality there's not much of information loss even in CAD. For games, see below. All of this for around ~160$. There's acer with VA - is there any benefit to use VA panel instead of IPS?
SSD - stays the same SATA3 with 500+ mb/s r/w speed. TLC or no TLC, windows doesn't care and loads for a few seconds. Same with games.
HDD - cheapest non-WD 7200 rpm 64+ mb cache. Western Digital is on decline in quality of their products.
PC itself - stays the same with 16gb DDR4 2400 (with tight timings), planning to switch the 4/4 i5 with 6/12 3,6+ ghz Intel Confidential. In 2020, AMDs dream comes true - Threads>Cores so no 9400f even if it's 300mhz faster. It's cheaper than switching to AMD Ryzen 5 2600 since I'd need new dual rank samsung t-die ram to make it work on par with intel and a new cooler. Or not switch the i5 at all, CPU is the least of my concerns.
GPU - AMD RX 480/580 8gb from mining farm (or RX 5600 if it comes out cheaper than expected) - 8gb is for anti-aliasing, super sampling and ultra textures of course. It eats GTX 1066 for breakfast. In DX12 and Vulkan is stays on par or not too much slower than GTX 1070 (0-20% difference) while costing almost half of its price on used hardware market. Nice.

Still, want to know if there's good budget keyboard, mouse, gamepad, headphones and microphone (just in case). Is there any?

Last edited:
Monitor is Philips 278E9QJAB - IPS, curved, 27", external psu, 75hz refresh rate - not 144 but not 60 either. 1080P, sounds like trouble but in reality there's not much of information loss even in CAD. For games, see below. All of this for around ~160$. There's acer with VA - is there any benefit to use VA panel instead of IPS?

VA: + best blacks. - slower response
IPS: + best colour, better viewing angles (good VA panels only slightly worse, same with colour. i.e. close enough). - IPS glow.
TN: + best response time. - much worse at everything else.

I recommend good VA panels, they produce good colour and viewing angles and best for video. Response times are fine (some VAs smear more than others but for most this is on very high 144hz frame rate).
I don't like IPS glow but really as long as the monitor is a good IPS or VA i'd be happy. TN absolutely not.
Im still waiting for a good panel high refesh non-curved 32" 16:9. They don't exist (hopefully its a yet, not a never). LG has one but its worse than my current 60hz.

Strongly recommend you don't go with a curved 27". Keep curved to 34" and over 21:9 monitors. I wish this stupid curved 16:9 monitor fad would die. Some decent monitors ruined because of this. Unfortunately it sells.

(but then would the monitor be a LEET gaming monitor without it and tacky RGB lighting? Maybe if they added a skull or scantily clad warrior babe on the box. )

Last edited:
Strongly recommend you don't go with a curved 27". Keep curved to 34" and over 21:9 monitors. I wish this stupid curved 16:9 monitor fad would die. Some decent monitors ruined because of this. Unfortunately it sells.
So you say VA panels have more "natural" palette? Budget VA monitors are good too?
Not interested in curve panels as much for 1337-pro-gayming. But curved monitors seem easier on the eyes since its shape copies the curve of the eyesight. And you can potentially see more details at periphery of your screen.
As for 1080P at 27" - anti-aliasing exists for a reason.

Top Bottom