Building a gaming PC

+
DP is the modern display connector. HDMI is archaic in comparison, and is pushed around only because of HDMI cartel that controls TV business. Basically, all new features in drivers are first supported in DP, and only later added to HDMI. Genreal rule of a thumb - avoid HDMI whenever possible, unless you have no choice but to use it. For sure never buy monitors that are HDMI only.

I would say that this comparison is more convenient if we are considering higher than 1080p resolutions, especially on 4k and higher, adaptive sync technology, such as G-sync, high refresh rates, such as 120 Hz, and multiple displays setup. Other than that, considering the BenQ EW277HDR, I am not aware of any other differences between the current Displayport and Hdmi versions. So not having a Displayport on this particular monitor is not as bad as it sounds. In fact, it's not bad at all. Hope this helps :)

In my experience, HDMI has a lot worse resolution detection (especially if EDID is messed up which is very common in such cheap monitors), worse color reproduction and etc. It also doesn't support daisy chaining. Overall it's just an inferior technology to DP. And it's very surprising, that some monitors that are not controlled by HDMI cartel are produced without DP. Manufacturers need to pay the cartel for putting HDMI into their devices. Putting DP there is free for them.

In my experience, HDMI has a lot worse resolution detection (especially if EDID is messed up which is very common in such cheap monitors), worse color reproduction and etc. It also doesn't support daisy chaining. Overall it's just an inferior technology to DP. And it's very surprising, that some monitors that are not controlled by HDMI cartel are produced without DP. Manufacturers need to pay the cartel for putting HDMI into their devices. Putting DP there is free for them.
Pretty much this. DP is superior, without a doubt. Though perhaps they should rethink the acronym... :think:

So I'm interested in upgrading my graphics card. Looking at the RTX 2000 series by Nvidia. Both my CPU and motherboard are compatible according to this site: http://www.pc-specs.com/gpu/Nvidia/20_Series/GeForce_RTX_2080/4022/Compatible_CPUs. And I have a 750W PSU which exceeds the PSU requirement.

Is it a good idea to get such a powerful card with my motherboard and CPU being as old as they are? ( my PC is almost 5 years old now) I mean maybe they could be compatible but still present a bottle neck for something as powerful as the 2060, 2070 or 2080 super.

Last edited:
Depends on the game. If something is CPU bottlenecked, GPU will be underutilized. If something is using Vulkan with proper multithreading, older CPU is less of a problem.

In general though, I'd be wary of getting any current RTX cards (besides generally staying away from Nvidia), since they are overpriced. Check the situation sometime next year, when there will be more competition, and prices will make more sense.

I’m not up to date on all the tech, but I’m excited about Cyberpunk and there is a local business in my town that makes custom PCs so I hired them and they made this guy.
FCB3E0C3-0A0A-436B-B4F4-E539EEC60FBC.jpeg

Attachments

• 24B52CB3-DAB6-4BEF-B27A-7C66E28A2C25.jpeg
    24B52CB3-DAB6-4BEF-B27A-7C66E28A2C25.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 154
  • BE6CE620-EEF7-4201-97CA-1F4939D19646.jpeg
    BE6CE620-EEF7-4201-97CA-1F4939D19646.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 143
Is it a good idea to get such a powerful card with my motherboard and CPU being as old as they are? ( my PC is almost 5 years old now) I mean maybe they could be compatible but still present a bottle neck for something as powerful as the 2060, 2070 or 2080 super.

I'd think the answer would be maybe. As per the advice by Gilrond.

I've been considering upgrading my GPU as well. Unfortunately, I'm completely unwilling to spend $800+ on one component. I was going to wait and see if there are any respectable sales with holidays and whatnot. It seems like a lot of sellers are offloading old stuff at discounted prices so far. Then you get into the issue of the four million different varieties of the same card floating around.....

I’m not up to date on all the tech, but I’m excited about Cyberpunk and there is a local business in my town that makes custom PCs so I hired them and they made this guy. View attachment 11021645
I'm going to pre-empt this by saying that is cooooool.

But -- that thing is going to be monstrously difficult to keep clean. It's so open to the air. I'd hit it with compressed air pretty thoroughly at least once per week. I can foresee solid dust gathering in the deepest nooks and crannies very quickly.

Is it a good idea to get such a powerful card with my motherboard and CPU being as old as they are?

That's exactly what you want to be thinking about, I'd say. It's a matter of two considerations:

1.) Balancing the overall system for the long term. Yes, a less powerful CPU / mobo can botleneck the GPU, so putting a Ferrari-level video solution into a system that's otherwise a budget-level desktop will mean that a lot of the wonderful graphical power will be held back. Could also introduce issues, as support for newer hardware will eventually fall out of sync with much older components. (Most components within 3 years of each other should work together pretty flawlessly.)

2.) Are you planning on upgrading in the next few years? If I know my goal is to replace the mobo and CPU soon, then investing now in a GPU that I can't really take full advantage of may be wise. Especially if I can get a good deal on it. In the meantime, a much more powerful GPU will still be better, even if it falls short of its full potential by a lot. I'd say it's a good investment only if I intend to take full advantage of it relatively soon. (If not, getting a GPU that's more in line with the rest of the hardware will probably produce similar results and create fewer potential issues. Not to mention use less power.)

This might be slightly off-topic since it's not technically for a PC. I was wondering if anyone has used this particular SSD.

I was planning to embark on an expedition to swap out the HDD on an Xbox One X to a SSD. It's supposedly doable if you format/partition the drive correctly and fiddle with the GUID's so Xbox sees it as a valid drive. In any case, I was shopping around for a 1TB SSD and noticed this particular drive at a respectable price. I'm wondering if anyone has used a similar drive and, if so, any pros/cons for it. Other recommendations would be appreciated.

I'm not entirely sure whether something like this would be overkill for the intended application either.

And yes, I know doing this supposedly voids the warranty. I'm not particularly concerned there. I'm also aware an external drive is an option. I'm not looking to go that route either.

This might be slightly off-topic since it's not technically for a PC. I was wondering if anyone has used this particular SSD.

I was planning to embark on an expedition to swap out the HDD on an Xbox One X to a SSD. It's supposedly doable if you format/partition the drive correctly and fiddle with the GUID's so Xbox sees it as a valid drive. In any case, I was shopping around for a 1TB SSD and noticed this particular drive at a respectable price. I'm wondering if anyone has used a similar drive and, if so, any pros/cons for it. Other recommendations would be appreciated.

I'm not entirely sure whether something like this would be overkill for the intended application either.

And yes, I know doing this supposedly voids the warranty. I'm not particularly concerned there. I'm also aware an external drive is an option. I'm not looking to go that route either.

they are good drives, and yes massive over kill given there is only a SATA2 connection inside the XBone.

they are good drives, and yes massive over kill given there is only a SATA2 connection inside the XBone.

Are you sure this holds true for the Xbox One X? I've read conflicting reports on the X1X. I wasn't too concerned over it because the drive may end up elsewhere down the road anyway.

Are you sure this holds true for the Xbox One X? I've read conflicting reports on the X1X. I wasn't too concerned over it because the drive may end up elsewhere down the road anyway.

i think so, the load times aren't any better and on a mechanical drive that can only hit 100mb/s won't tell the difference between 300mb/s and 600mb/s. the SSD will still be way faster once data is on it mind, and games generally don't use all the bandwidth they have anyway.

Me, patiently and happily waiting for the minimum specs with ma GT 740M while people are getting a rtx/amd+

20191207_162304.jpg

Well I installed my new GPU last week.

I can max RDR2 with this thing and still maintain 50 FPS. Very powerful card. Bring on Cyberpunk. :cool:

Just got a DAC and amplifier from JDS Labs, and connected through optical (TOSLINK) cable to the motherboard SPDIF output:

The sound is very clear, and it helps avoid electrical interference that adds noise to headphones especially during heavy GPU load.

Actual devices are quite small and stackable (the above is headphones cable).

Post automatically merged:

If anyone is interested it's this combo:

https://jdslabs.com/product/ol-dac/ (USB+SPDIF option)
https://jdslabs.com/product/objective2/

Last edited:
Tbh we have all been very patient with all of the strenuous, hard work CDPR has put into their games. (Well, MOST of us). But, they game drops in less than 4 months and a responsibility CDPR has not taken seriously id helping their community prep for the upcoming release. YES!! We get it, video, video, video, demo, interview galore. What we ACTUALLY need is the minimum and recommended requirements. CDPR should be on top of this.

16GB of ram should suffice. As for a CPU, a 4-core or more with a boost/turbo clock of 4.0 GHz or more. These are the core requirements to play @ 1080p ULTRA/Max settings or 1440p on HIGH or ULTRA/Max with medium anti-aliasing. Idk about 4K. As for a GPU, CDPR needs to ante up that info so we can prep better for the game. My GUESS is:

1080p ULTRA - GTX 1070/RTX 2060 (non SUPER)
1440P. ULTRA (medium anti-aliasing) - GTX 1080/RTX 2060 SUPER (MINIMALLY). But possibly a 1080 ti or a RTX 2080 SUPER.

Just a guess.

What we ACTUALLY need is the minimum and recommended requirements. CDPR should be on top of this.

Actually, until the graphics engine is finalized, it's almost impossible to accurately say what the specs will be. And graphics are one of the last things to be finalized, in most cases. Really, until a game goes gold, the min / recommended specs are not truly "official".

Top Bottom