Building a gaming PC

+
For most bang for buck it would be second hand parts. You can pick up some bargains on ebay.
The most important part by far is the GPU. Cannot stress this enough. Beg borrow steal for a better GPU.

e.g. last 1080 sold went for $277 on ebay. some 1080tis going for $380.
Pay $300 for a new 1660ti? no way

Have a look at what new parts you intend to buy and see how much its beaten in performance by older parts. Check sold filter for those parts on ebay.
Take advantage of people who throw $$$ at their PCs to have the latest and greatest and are getting rid of their 'old' but still good gear. Subpar is still subpar whether its new or not

Last edited:
Buying used components from Ebay doesn't sound like a good idea to begin with..

Depends on what it is. I took a gamble with the Core i7-4790k I bought on eBay. 6 months later and it's still a good CPU. But I would not recommend that it will be okay every time. It's all just a big gamble on everything. New, used, refurbished, it doesn't matter. Buying brand new is not a guarantee to be DOA free.

Depends on what it is. I took a gamble with the Core i7-4790k I bought on eBay. 6 months later and it's still a good CPU. But I would not recommend that it will be okay every time. It's all just a big gamble on everything. New, used, refurbished, it doesn't matter. Buying brand new is not a guarantee to be DOA free.

No it isn't, but buying new means you have recourse to getting parts replaced or your money back, the second hand market is buyer beware.

No it isn't, but buying new means you have recourse to getting parts replaced or your money back, the second hand market is buyer beware.
And I'm not going to deny that. When I built this one, before making upgrades, I had a Thermaltake PSU 550 80Gold Semi-Modular. It went out for no reason at all, 11 months old. Actually I think I had like 15-19 days left on the Manufacture's Warranty.

This replacement is just fine.

And I'm not going to deny that. When I built this one, before making upgrades, I had a Thermaltake PSU 550 80Gold Semi-Modular. It went out for no reason at all, 11 months old. Actually I think I had like 15-19 days left on the Manufacture's Warranty.

This replacement is just fine.

I have more faith in a dozen or more 2nd hand goods off ebay than a thermaltake PSU (i worked for large PC hardware retailer). Hope it lasts, and when you can - next build, get a seasonic. Set and forget.

Theres a ton of good gear out there. If its circuit board stuff, and wasnt DOA when brand new, it should last many years.
i.e. PSUs and HDDs be much more wary if considering a 2nd hand purchase.
You know the usual, look at rating and if they decent then it works. Recourse is Paypal, if it ever needs to go that way.

Preaching fear can dissuade people on a budget, the prime candidates who absolutely should be making use of that resource.

Last edited:
I have more faith in a dozen or more 2nd hand goods off ebay than a thermaltake PSU (i worked for large PC hardware retailer). Hope it lasts, and when you can - next build, get a seasonic. Set and forget.

Well, I was trying to keep it within the same company. I can't recall the exact model name for each, but I also got Thermaltake's Full Tower Case ( I have 1 SSD and 4 HDD, will slowly convert to SSDs for my next build) & I got their 360mm Liquid Cooler setup. Haven't had an issue with the Liquid Cooling System, and honestly the PSU has been the only issue I have had in, going on, 4 years.

the PSU has been the only issue I have had in, going on, 4 years.

Their coolers and other stuff aint too bad its just with the PSUs. We saw horrendous RMA ratios.

You have to be unlucky but the PSU is a part that if it goes bad it can take out other hardware with it. Better quality ones (build quality, not wattage) also give you a decent stability in temporary brownouts / power fluctuations from the electrical grid.

Of all the PSUs you can buy only FSP and Seasonic manufacturers their own. Everything else is manufactured by channel well and others. Its all rebadged. Coolermaster had one decent line, their flagship Vanguard series - its made by Seasonic. Same with Corsair , their top AX line is Seasonic and Flextronics.

Dont need the top models but their platforms are as rest assured as you can be.

Last edited:

Half the power consumption with 50% performance increase? Doesn't sound realistic, unless they changed the laws of physics, or invented some new cheating technique under "performance" pretense, like lowering quality, thinking no one will notice. Nvidia aren't new to doing that. They were already caught in the past decreasing image quality for example, to reduce power consumption and computational load (which gives appearance of being faster).

I'd say it's not something one should be competing on.

We can certainly expect big advances with a new process node for the new chips, and a new architecture on top. The rumoured gains still sound quite over the top.

Advances yes, but not such crazy ones :) But as I said, one way to tweak numbers in one's favor that GPU makers utilize is cheating. And Nvidia are adept at doing it. It's likely one of the reasons they also resist opening their drivers on Linux. With the blob, it's harder to point to their cheating. When the code is open, it can be easily spotted.

https://www.techspot.com/news/83387-report-nvidia-next-gen-ampere-cards-50-faster.html

Must be nice being Nvidia and having no competition.. :(

Altho I'm still skeptical if they really will be that much faster.. because why bother?
Does this 50% performance increase also affects RT cores and texturing blocks? Because it is right adequate amount of peformance increase to chug through ray-traced titles with better and stable fps. Especially Metro Exodus and Control, which uses it for GI and needs lots of rays for. On the other hand, used RTX 2080 ti starting to cost adequate money... RDNA 2 is also worth waiting it seems...

Top Bottom