Building a gaming PC

+
I'm just saying what most people are attracted to. if you can't get big companies to support Linux, most people won't give af about it. :shrug:

People can be attracted to whatever. I don't see the need to define gaming market as "only what mass market is attracted to". Market is a lot more variable than that. As long as there is a potential to make profit, someone will likely use the opportunity. Linux gaming market today is a thing. Surely smaller than Windows one, didn't attract legacy publishers yet and so on and so forth. It doesn't mean it's not viable.

I'm saying that in order for Linux to become a major platform, it needs major publishers behind it. Duh.

If you can't play the latest and greatest AAA titles on it at release, it's not gonna be a viable platform to build an expensive PC rig for most people.

I think with legacy publishers it only works the other way around. I.e. they only care about big markets. You can't expect them to arrive and make the market big first. Which is actually a good thing for everyone else, i.e. non legacy publishers and developers - they have less competition from big fish.

If someone like Google and etc. pays them loads of money or tries to advertise to them that "market is huge", then legacy publishers might do something. Otherwise - who cares, let them sit and do nothing. The market exists without them already, and is actually growing. If at some point it will grow enough, or someone will start marketing things more, legacy publishers might arrive too.

I heard B550 won't support PCI-E 4.0 tho?
It's not clear yet. Also, B550 boards are still months away. Last rumour I heard was that they'd be displayed at Computex in June - possibly weeks to months before you can actually buy one.

Well this is interesting. Last time I played Witcher 2 on my old rig, I couldn't run the game with the "Extreme quality Flora mod" (which basically gets rid of the annoying pop-in in the game), because it was too heavy on the system:sad:. Maybe I should try again. :cool:

Anyone know the best VR unit for games on PC? I know @Sardukhar plays VR. What model do you use? Oculus and Vive seem to be the industry standards.

Last edited:
I've heard Index is an interesting headset, but I haven't used any myself yet. Panasonic came up with "new" approach recently:

Which reminds me some scenes from Nirvana film with Christopher Lambert.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how have the drivers behaved? I've been on the fence about upgrading but skipped it this cycle. A lot of the sales I was seeing felt like walking into a furniture store to buy a couch or shopping for a bed. It's on sale, 20-30% off, get it while it's hot. A bit of time passes by and it's no longer on sale but at or close to the same price. Interesting....

Rants aside, I've been leaning toward team red (quite heavily, in fact). I can't handle another 9900k refresh. I've been apprehensive about the GPU side of the coin because I've heard horror stories about driver functioning, or lack thereof, over the years. I'm just curious if there is any real cause for concern there with the newer cards. And yes, unfortunately I am asking in the context of the data collecting, point and click OS.

I took my non XT 5700 back,because of the driver issues. If you look around online,Hardware Unboxed/Gamers Nexus,etc, comments section and elsewhere, u will see similar gripes,by longtime AMD fans(of which I am one). Navi is a really great piece of engineering plagued by horrible drivers.
Post automatically merged:

God damn it, @metalmaniac21 , now when I started to investigate my current config I decided that I need a new mobo+CPU combo :oops:

I'm still undecided: should I go for i9-9900KS or Ryzen 9 3900X. I have bad experience with AMD CPU's, but it was ages ago and perhaps now they are better. I know that this Intel supports DDR4-2666, but I would prefer to use my current 32 GB DDR4-2133, to not increase costs too much. Also, I hope that my Dark Power Pro P11 650W will be able to pick up the i9 (or Ryzen 9) load.

A 3900X although amazing for the scratch,is beyond overkill for any game,including 2077. A 3600 or 3700X will be more then enough to drive a 2070 and faster,to 99% GPU utilization in modern games. I have several systems at home ,one a 3600x/2080 Super and a 3700X/2080 TI,no need for more CPU grunt to drive these cards.Seriously,unless you are doing 3d animation, automotive design,etc. Save the cash or get a faster GPU.

Last edited:
3900X is a great CPU. No need to limit its usage with gaming only. It takes me around 6 min 30 seconds to build the Linux kernel on it. Totally worth it if you are running VMs too.

I took my non XT 5700 back,because of the driver issues. If you look around online,Hardware Unboxed/Gamers Nexus,etc, comments section and elsewhere, u will see similar gripes,by longtime AMD fans(of which I am one). Navi is a really great piece of engineering plagued by horrible drivers.

I thought Linux users have to wait half a year for drivers to mature. Surprising that Windows users face the same issue. The general reason is kind of obvious here, Navi is using new microarchitecture, and AMD Linux driver team is understaffed. But apparently Windows one is too. AMD should really grow their teams, now that they started to be more profitable.

Last edited:

Thanks. I was going to look around myself but buying hardware nowadays is like running fingernails over a chalk board (at least, if you're as thorough as I am before buying). I hadn't intended on pulling the trigger on an upgrade just yet anyway. Still running an 8700k, which is probably fine, and a 980ti, which probably isn't fine :). Although, it suits my needs for the time being. I was doing some of the aforementioned "research" well ahead of time while shopping around for the holidays. Needless to say those went by and I didn't pull the trigger on anything outside of a drive upgrade.

AMD GPU's looked well priced for the hardware itself. If the drivers are still suspect they're probably not going to be on the table though. Unfortunate....

A 3900X although amazing for the scratch,is beyond overkill for any game,including 2077. A 3600 or 3700X will be more then enough to drive a 2070 and faster,to 99% GPU utilization in modern games. I have several systems at home ,one a 3600x/2080 Super and a 3700X/2080 TI,no need for more CPU grunt to drive these cards.Seriously,unless you are doing 3d animation, automotive design,etc. Save the cash or get a faster GPU.

It may be, but I don't want to save a few bucks just to have to buy a new CPU in a year or two. My plan is to switch mobo, CPU and RAM now, and buy a new GPU later. Nvidia 3000 series preferably.

Anyone know the best VR unit for games on PC? I know @Sardukhar plays VR. What model do you use? Oculus and Vive seem to be the industry standards.
I use Vive Pro. Graphics is more or less okay (better than original Vive. No more problems with reading texts in VR games). As Sardukhar already said, Index controllers are quite intriguing. I'm gonna try them soon.

BTW, does anyone know if CP2077 gonna support Nvidia SLI?

Top Bottom