Building a gaming PC

+
Didn't stop Intel from pushing 14+ nm Skylake beyond 8-pin connector tdp limits so why would this stop AMD?

Well AMD already had this approach with his FX 9550 CPU and a ridicules TDP of 220W
Intel is at the same Limit now with its 14nm process and (i suspect) even with the 10 nm one.

There is no doubt that such a high TDP CAN work, but it ll significantly shorten the lifespan of
said CPU, let alone the efficiency and internal heatproblems, because you can t get rid of that
heat fast enough.

SLI is a dead approach. The question rather is, whether it will support multi-GPU through Vulkan. So far developers didn't answer this. They in general avoid answering technical questions as far as I know (or practically all questions really).

SLI is a dead approach. The question rather is, whether it will support multi-GPU through Vulkan. So far developers didn't answer this. They in general avoid answering technical questions as far as I know (or practically all questions really).
I think the best approach when devs don't answer technical questions is to compare with The Witcher 3.
That game used to work with SLI but since then Nvidia tinkered with its SLI profile so it doesn't work with Pascal and Turing GPUs. AMD CrossfireX works fine and RX 4xx beats Novideo in Hairworks.
There's no mGPU profile support in TW3 and won't be in CP2077. AMD RX 5xxx will beat RTX 2xxx in raytracing.

I think the best approach when devs don't answer technical questions is to compare with The Witcher 3.
That game used to work with SLI but since then Nvidia tinkered with its SLI profile so it doesn't work with Pascal and Turing GPUs. AMD CrossfireX works fine and RX 4xx beats Novideo in Hairworks.
There's no mGPU profile support in TW3 and won't be in CP2077. AMD RX 5xxx will beat RTX 2xxx in raytracing.

I don't think TW3 is indicative of anything. CP2077 is using a new engine, and for sure is using Vulkan at least in some cases (Stadia). I'm not sure what it's using on Windows, but could be Vulkan as well. And Vulkan doesn't work with SLI as far as I know. It has its own VK_KHR_device_group.

This extension provides functionality to use a logical device that consists of multiple physical devices, as created with the VK_KHR_device_group_creation extension. A device group can allocate memory across the subdevices, bind memory from one subdevice to a resource on another subdevice, record command buffers where some work executes on an arbitrary subset of the subdevices, and potentially present a swapchain image from one or more subdevices.

I don't think TW3 is indicative of anything. CP2077 is using a new engine, and for sure is using Vulkan at least in some cases (Stadia). I'm not sure what it's using on Windows, but could be Vulkan as well. And Vulkan doesn't work with SLI as far as I know. It has its own VK_KHR_device_group.
This is not new engine, it's named Red Engine and has a bigger number, no one keeps the old name and writes the engine from scratch.
On Windows it will be a DX12 title, I don't see any reason not to be. Muh Rockstar argument doesn't work, it's the only company that keeps legacy api options (Yes, DX12 is already outdated).

This is not new engine,

It is new, that far was known for a long time already. Calling it "RedEngine" doesn't change the fact that it's a complete rewrite, when renderer is concerned.

On Windows it will be a DX12 title, I don't see any reason not to be.

Any source for that? I see no reason for it to be DX12 on Windows, when they are already using Vulkan in the engine. Why waste time on duplicating their work? I expect them to figure out the same what Bethesda did in the past (they are using Vulkan on Windows as well).

Either way, unless you have a source, no one knows but CDPR what they are using. They refused to answer this question. I expect we'll know for sure only after the game will come out.

Last edited:
They refused to answer this question.
Many questions. That's because the answers won't be pleasant and it's all politics and economy and not related to tech.
An RTX title without API restrictions? This only possible when studio doesn't sign any exclusive contracts with Novideo. I only know one company that doesn't do this - Id Software who has rich publisher.

Many questions. That's because the answers won't be pleasant and it's all politics and economy and not related to tech.
An RTX title without API restrictions? This only possible when studio doesn't sign any exclusive contracts with Novideo. I only know one company that doesn't do this - Id Software who has rich publisher.

No idea why, they refused to explain that too. Stonewalling the community is their modus operandi.

As for RTX, not sure what you mean. RTX, while it's Nvidia only, works with Vulkan as I already explained to you. Vulkan allows using GPU specific extensions. And it's quite clear that RTX is optional, since Stadia using AMD hardware won't have RTX support.

No idea why, they refused to explain that too. Stonewalling the community is their modus operandi. As for RTX, not sure what you mean. RTX works with Vulkan as I already explained to you. And it's quite clear that RTX is optional, since Stadia using AMD hardware won't have RTX support.
Politics. Google pays for Stadia support and CDPR will do exactly that, no desktop support is set in stone until said otherwise (won't be until release date).
It is new, that far was known for a long time already. Calling it "RedEngine" doesn't change the fact that it's a complete rewrite, when renderer is concerned.
To the worse if any since the game lost compatibility with Novideos Kepler GPUs and doesn't fit into 2GB VRAM buffer anymore (RDR2 with some tweaking did, for comparison). That's, traditionally, a rumor.

2GB of VRAM is surely too little for any modern game. I'd expect 8 GB to be the norm.
Post automatically merged:

Google pays for Stadia support and CDPR will do exactly that, no desktop support is set in stone until said otherwise

And now think from their management and also developers perspective. They are using Vulkan already. So why waste time on work duplication? Using it for Windows will reuse their work. That's the whole point of using a portable API. DX12 on the other hand is lock-in. Developers gradually ditching lock-in is something everyone should expect. No one is using lock-in because they want to.

And now think from their management and also developers perspective. They are using Vulkan already. So why waste time on work duplication? Using it for Windows will reuse their work.
Because Novideo said so - use DXR so we can have advantage for two months (or longer if AMD decides to be a slowpoke and hold RDNA 2 until 2021). It's in the paid contract.

Because Novideo said so - use DXR so we can have advantage for two months (or longer if AMD decides to be a slowpoke and hold RDNA 2 until 2021). It's in the paid contract.

Nvidia can't say that (and why would they even do so?). They can say use RTX, and CDPR can do it through Vulkan just fine. Nvidia has no benefit from DX. It's MS who is pushing that junk.

Post automatically merged:

That article has nothing to do with Nvidia though. MS pushing that junk and developers being stuck with it due to MS brainwashing, that could happen. But it's not because of RTX.

And it's from 2016. Today developers are getting smarter, thanks to Google pushing more Vulkan usage in Stadia. Going forward, lock-in will start dying out, and will remain only where walled garden lock-in proponents will mandate it, like Xbox, PlayStation and the like. And even there, it will eventually die out due to developers' pressure.

Last edited:
That article has nothing to do with Nvidia though. MS pushing that junk and developers being stuck with it due to MS brainwashing, that could happen. But it's not because of RTX.

And it's from 2016. Today developers are getting smarter, thanks to Google pushing more Vulkan usage in Stadia. Going forward, lock-in will start dying out, and will remain only where walled garden lock-in proponents will mandate it, like Xbox, PlayStation and the like. And even there, it will eventually die out due to developers' pressure.
MS has always been junk. It's just simpler programming. Would be nice to see gaming companies switch to linux and be able to incorporate more flexibility. And with all of the noise from the MS programs running in the background being gone, we wouldnt need as much power all around to game. I've been done with MS for everything except gaming for years now. Just wish program makers would get with open source.

Top Bottom