Building a gaming PC

+
I use Vive Pro. Graphics is more or less okay (better than original Vive. No more problems with reading texts in VR games). As Sardukhar already said, Index controllers are quite intriguing. I'm gonna try them soon.
Post automatically merged:

BTW, does anyone know if CP2077 gonna support Nvidia SLI?

I have lobbied CDPR to do so. Who knows if they will support SLI. They have in the past.

LOOK WHAT I HAVE CREATED! I HAVE MADE GAMING PC! (Also, I could use some advice. Your input on my technical queries would be welcome).

IMG_0328.JPG

Here 2.jpg

It took a delay of a week to finally receive the Power Supply unit I needed, but as a follow up on the purchase of a 5700XT I mentioned a week ago, this is the first PC I've build since 2013. I might need to add a bit more RGB too to improve the visual effect, but let's not get ahead of myself. :p

CPU : Ryzen 7 3700X
CPU Cooler: Mugen Scythe 5 PCGH edition
Motherboard : B450 Mortar Titanium
PSU : Corsair RM650W
RAM : Twin Banks of G.Skill Trident Neo 3200 Mhz Cas 16
Hard Drive : PNY CS3030 1TB M.2 SSD
Case : NZXT H400
GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT

Seems to handle the Unigine 2 Superposition Benchmark on 4k optimized well enough with a score of 7500 and an average of 55 fps, but I'm otherwise not knowledgeable enough to know what that even means. :LOL:

Of course with the delay I was thinking of maybe returning the GPU and waiting for something better along the road, but now that everything has started up and is running, I'm not so sure anymore. Should I? I'm still within the return period...

I mean, I really like how the silver GPU matches up with my silver MOBO, but maybe that's just me making excuses.

Here.jpg

Also, I have a question that maybe anyone with a good GPU can answer.

My GPU, upon startup or when under stress, is prone to making a feint rattle. Like an old HDD, or a power line. It's not the fans, but something within the electronics themselves. I could imagine that simply being the GPU processing stuff, but is it normal for a modern GPU's processes to be audible? Is it okay for them to audibly purr a little under load (and again, I don't mean the fans, I mean the electronics), or is it just an indication of bad soldering and a cry of distress?

It's especially loud upon start-up, before the windows drivers kick in to quiet down the card, but the rattle under stress is soft enough that if I put the lid back onto my case, it's hardly noticeable.

Still, I hope it's not indicative of a malfunction that'll blow up my card in a year's time.

... Also still wondering if I should return it and wait for a date closer to CP77...

Right! Time to play Minesweeper with this puppy and see how she handles. And with that I mean Hellblade, Red Dead and Witcher 3 on Ultra. XD

Last edited:
Also, I have a question that maybe anyone with a good GPU can answer.

My GPU, upon startup or when under stress, is prone to making a feint rattle. Like an old HDD, or a power line. It's not the fans, but something within the electronics themselves. I could imagine that simply being the GPU processing stuff, but is it normal for a modern GPU's processes to be audible? Is it okay for them to audibly purr a little under load (and again, I don't mean the fans, I mean the electronics), or is it just an indication of bad soldering and a cry of distress?

It's especially loud upon start-up, before the windows drivers kick in to quiet down the card, but the rattle under stress is soft enough that if I put the lid back onto my case, it's hardly noticeable.

Still, I hope it's not indicative of a malfunction that'll blow up my card in a year's time.

Is it a high pitched noise or an actual rattle?

In case of the former it may be the phenomenon commonly referred to as coil whine. You can google it to read up on it. I believe when shopping for GPU's I saw various references to it for specific cards. This issue isn't unique to GPU's either. As far as I know it doesn't indicate a critical problem or anything. It's just irritating if you can hear it.

If it's the latter it may be difficult to recognize it or find where it's coming from. I have a system with the same case and noticed the top fan filter can cause an odd vibration noise. It's a magnetic filter and has a tiny bit of room to move in the position it's supposed to be on top of the case. I noticed if it's not in it's happy place I get a slight, annoying vibration noise when the fans spin. A quick adjustment to the filter makes it go away. This does not sound like your problem but I figured I'd throw it out there. You never know.

If coil whine gets annoying, you can try RMAing the GPU. Manufacturers are usually OK with that reason. I never RMAed a Sapphire one though (I have a second one from them - Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT after Sapphire Pulse Vega 56).
Post automatically merged:

By the way, now that CDPR has pushed CP2077 release to September, I wonder if AMD cards with hardware accelerated ray tracing will come out before that, and whether CDPR care to actually use something that works across both.

Last edited:
If coil whine gets annoying, you can try RMAing the GPU.

Very annoying issue, and definitely worth the hassle of replacing. It tends to get worse as time goes on. Fortunately, I've only ever had to deal with it once on myself.

By the way, now that CDPR has pushed CP2077 release to September, I wonder if AMD cards with hardware accelerated ray tracing will come out before that, and whether CDPR care to actually use something that works across both.

My guess would be that if it garners attention and seems to add a lot to the experience, it might be worked in after launch.

Is it a high pitched noise or an actual rattle?

It sounds like this:
That's a sapphire customer with the exact same problem as me.

And again, it reminds me strongly of a power line. No moving parts on that either, but the electricity itself creating a ticking noise, or "rattle".

Thanks for alerting me to coil whine! I think that's exactly what my card is doing. Instead of a wine, it just sounds like rapid clicking.

I've tried locating where else the noise is coming from (like the magnetic filter! We DO have the same build!), but it's only heard when my card start exerting itself. When I run a benchmark, you can first hear it start rattling, and only after 10 seconds when it starts to heat up, do the fans kick in (the only moving part). So the rattle comes without and before movement.

The noise also isn't constant. It coincides with the card trying to "think" or compute it sounds like. Before the benchmark is actually running and I'm just loading it, the rattle is more like a "Crrrrrrrk... crr... cccrrrrr... cccccccrrrrrrk............... crrrrr...... crrrrrr......cc..... crrrrrr!". Just like an HDD trying to read something.

If coil whine gets annoying, you can try RMAing the GPU. Manufacturers are usually OK with that reason. I never RMAed a Sapphire one though (I have a second one from them - Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT after Sapphire Pulse Vega 56).

Very annoying issue, and definitely worth the hassle of replacing. It tends to get worse as time goes on. Fortunately, I've only ever had to deal with it once on myself.

Cheers!

I once had to replace a motherboard with annoying coil whine. I suppose it can happen with any component.

I'm beginning to wonder if putting it in a B450 instead of a 570X MOBO, is what causes it. That's a lot of high end components for a m-atx of a previous generation to handle...

I'm beginning to wonder if putting it in a B450 instead of a 570X MOBO, is what causes it. That's a lot of high end components for a m-atx of a previous generation to handle...
X570 would make it worse, the chipset is hot and another annoying tiny fan adding up to the overall acousting discomfort and making the inner air inside your PC case a few degrees hotter - bad for hardware.

For well ventilated case, that fan is not an issue. Noise wise, I don't hear it, if I select silent profile. So the only concern could be the durability of the fan itself.

Not any more than other fan though. I.e. how is CPU fan any less of an issue? As long as you can replace it, it should be OK. Asrock for example sell chipset fan replacements.
X570 fans are irrepleaceble, unique design from each vendor but you'll sure find an awkward excuse because it's an AM4 and not Intel's shameless cashgrab of a socket that is Z390/Z370 et cetera. Sure Asrock can resell you their own fans and make money on tech support of a deeply flawed PoS of a product (IRL microtransactions, yay!). You know what else? Assrock MOBOs are among the worst on the market, along with Gigabyte wooden desk for mobos. Their bioses are hardly functional too.

The noise also isn't constant. It coincides with the card trying to "think" or compute it sounds like. Before the benchmark is actually running and I'm just loading it, the rattle is more like a "Crrrrrrrk... crr... cccrrrrr... cccccccrrrrrrk............... crrrrr...... crrrrrr......cc..... crrrrrr!". Just like an HDD trying to read something.

Hm. That doesn't sound like coil whine at all. Coil whine should be constant based on the amount of voltage moving through the card at that time.

e.g.

What you're describing sounds like more like fan imbalance or HDD thrashing.

upgrade2020.jpg

Last friday the final item was delivered and tomorrow I'll build it.
Really not looking foward to do a fresh system install.
All the backups required and I'll deffo forget something. /o\

Asrock are pretty good in my experience (I'm using Taichi, first X370, now X570). What do you think are better motherboards?
B450? MSI is all around are solid choices. The ones with heatsink that is. Asus B450 TUF Pro is kind of okay.
A320? MSI and unironically gigabyte (the S2H one)
X370? ASUS 370-pro, ROG Maximus after a price cut.
X470? ASUS X470-pro prime
X570? ...I don't want to get banned again.

Top Bottom