Building a gaming PC

+
Recent Phoronix tests:

we always ear " not the best moment to change hardware" but this is really worst moment. it's like mining time 2-3 years ago

ram and ssd are ok.... but cpu and even more gpu are overpriced due shortage.

Right after release is always a bad time - you simply can't buy them anywhere. I expect next year new AMD CPUs and GPUs to finally be in stock.

There's this store in my country that actually offers a decent version of the RTX 3070 for a reasonable price at 590 euros. Only problem is, it's a pre-order they're not sure when they'll be able to deliver. Could take months for all I know.

Still... mighty tempting to at least be able to reserve one for a reasonable price. Better than all the other stores selling me one for 750 euros at a minimum.

Bah. I should take a break from following all this GPU news. Driving me nuts. Here's hoping my 8 year old 1080p monitor and 6 year old GTX 970 hang in there.

Hi...that mobo is additionally genuinely costly, and won't convey significant advantages over the Extreme4 or GA-Z77X-D3H. IMO very good quality mobos are pretty silly except if you have cash to consume; there's consistently different spots that will get you a greater presentation increment for your cash.

Actually I wouldn't utilize Win8 (attempted delivery see; is waste). It's the OP's decision however.

For those who like RGB, here's my setup. It's hard to get these colors on a phone's camera but it might give you an idea...

IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg_IMG_0973.jpg_IMG_0981.jpg_IMG_0986.jpg

Guest 4456526

A bite to the side of what you're asking for, and with 153 pages of replies a bit moot. But. I'd suggest trying a cloud-gaming service for single-player games instead of building a middle-of-the-line PC. You get better performance for far less money. You would need to have a good internet-connection, and if there are none in your area you could try and get Starlink. Other than that, you'd just have to find a service with stable good ping and the other signal-thing.

Just another 2 cent.

Screenshot_1.png

Gotta love DLSS in Cyberpunk.. Notice how it actually retains details missing from the native resolution image with the Logo's missing letters appearing correctly.

Source video:

Also worth noting is that Cyberpunk seems to be very VRAM hungry especially with RT enabled. Cards with 8GB vram are starting to get bottlenecked at 1440p already.

Hi,
I have a problem:
I just wanted to install a new motherboard but when I tried to install the m.2 ssd this screw suddenly decided to mimick some Cyberpunk-bug.
Does anyone have an idea how to fix it?

B6DE4017-931D-4AA0-B7FB-288CE09BA20F.jpeg

55DAEF2A-31DE-49C0-AFCB-FD6133AFB4EF.jpeg

The motherboard has an additional backplate, so I would need to drill a hole if I want to attach a longer screw. I also don't have a screw that has a fitting thread (see second foto), nor do I have a female screw for it...

Cheers

Hi,
I have a problem:
I just wanted to install a new motherboard but when I tried to install the m.2 ssd this screw suddenly decided to mimick some Cyberpunk-bug.
Does anyone have an idea how to fix it?

View attachment 11110481
View attachment 11110478
The motherboard has an additional backplate, so I would need to drill a hole if I want to attach a longer screw. I also don't have a screw that has a fitting thread (see second foto), nor do I have a female screw for it...

Cheers

:facepalm:

Trouble here is that any fastener with an imperfect fit is likely to allow weird vibrations...which sort of defeats the whole purpose of the brace to begin with.

My first thought would be finding a narrow enough bolt of the right diameter, then sawing it down. A non-conductive putty of some sort may create a snug enough fit. And you'd need to ensure the bolt wasn't touching any other metal in the case besides the backplate. (And you'd likely still have to drill the hole in the brace to make it fit.)

Maybe you could rig something up with sturdy, plastic ties or insulated wire. Thread it through the holes and create a sort of "tourniquet" behind the brace to cinch it tightly enough. Although, I can't quite tell from the pictures if the hole is close enough to the edge of the mobo for that to be realistic. Obviously, the ties can't be touching and pushing pressure on any of the components of the mobo itself.

Ideally...that should be a faulty product / warranty issue. It's pretty important for a mobo to be securely placed. Can you exchange it?

Guest 4478408

do yourself a few favours:
-read in depth reviews of your motherboard, especially regarding the quality of the vrm circuits
-check the mainboards ram compatibilty list and buy ran that is certified to work with your mainbard at the desired frequencies. 32gb will be almost certainly worth it. upgrading memory using mixed modules has a high risk of causing instability and usually results in very low maximum frequencies. that said: if you are on a budget, 16gb of ram will be perfectly fine for now.
-no mention of a case and case vans. bad case ventilation will result in bad performance. some cases have air filters. if you live in a smoker household, these will keep your fans alive.

aside of that: amd x3600 is an excellent budget gaming cpu. the gpu you picked is very old. dvd drive, card reader and soundcard are *very* optional. windows 8.1 seems an odd choice. get a cheap w7 license somewhere and upgrade it to w10.
overall the price seems to high for the performance you get. the gpu especially will make it a mediocre gaming pc at best.

Trouble here is that any fastener with an imperfect fit is likely to allow weird vibrations...which sort of defeats the whole purpose of the brace to begin with.

My first thought would be finding a narrow enough bolt of the right diameter, then sawing it down. A non-conductive putty of some sort may create a snug enough fit. And you'd need to ensure the bolt wasn't touching any other metal in the case besides the backplate. (And you'd likely still have to drill the hole in the brace to make it fit.)

Maybe you could rig something up with sturdy, plastic ties or insulated wire. Thread it through the holes and create a sort of "tourniquet" behind the brace to cinch it tightly enough. Although, I can't quite tell from the pictures if the hole is close enough to the edge of the mobo for that to be realistic. Obviously, the ties can't be touching and pushing pressure on any of the components of the mobo itself.

Ideally...that should be a faulty product / warranty issue. It's pretty important for a mobo to be securely placed. Can you exchange it?
Great ideas! Thank you. I'll give it a try when I'm back home. / yes it still got warranty, but I really want to use the PC now...

Thanks again. I was able to remove the back plate without destroying any of the thermal pads. I've cut a piece out of a slot cover and used it as a punch disc [edit: washer], in order to attach a second bolt from the back. luckily they are short enough to not push each other out of that thread. The bolt on the top side is attached with less tension. I think it will work.

Attachments

• D9239968-A109-43D9-AEDD-BF06BC3B763E.jpeg
    D9239968-A109-43D9-AEDD-BF06BC3B763E.jpeg
    375.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 2BF3B60B-C192-46F0-A4AF-C7A994D0AB4F.jpeg
    2BF3B60B-C192-46F0-A4AF-C7A994D0AB4F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Top Bottom