Building a gaming PC

+
Thanks again. I was able to remove the back plate without destroying any of the thermal pads. I've cut a piece out of a slot cover and used it as a punch disc, in order to attach a second bolt from the back. luckily they are short enough to not push each other out of that thread. The bolt on the top side is attached with less tension. I think it will work.

That looks pretty good to me! Nice thinking!

Completed last weekend:

5950X, 128GB DDR4 3200, Geforce RTX 3060Ti, Samsung 2TB PCie 4 SSD. :cool:
Downside: it's not for me ^^ New work horse for my brother, mainly for video editing, but also for gaming. Price: Too much.

We tried over several weeks to get our hands on a 6800XT or 6800 from one of AMD's weekly suuply drops at MSRP, but no luck. Ended up buying the 3060TI for almost the regular price of a 6800XT... :giveup:

Still rolling with a GTX 1080. Been watching all the RTX price nonsense for a while with utter side-eye. Waiting for the next gen cards to drop sometime this year before I build a new rig.

Completed last weekend:

5950X, 128GB DDR4 3200, Geforce RTX 3060Ti, Samsung 2TB PCie 4 SSD. :cool:
Downside: it's not for me ^^ New work horse for my brother, mainly for video editing, but also for gaming. Price: Too much.
Nice! If I remember correctly - and please do state if I am wrong - I is recommended to put the radiator in the other way around to increase longevity. I.e. you should rotate it such that the tubes come out at the top and not at the botton.

Nice! If I remember correctly - and please do state if I am wrong - I is recommended to put the radiator in the other way around to increase longevity. I.e. you should rotate it such that the tubes come out at the top and not at the botton.
The guides I found before assembling it said to put it this way, so bubbles/pockets of air will stay at the highest point (the top end of the radiator), and not get drawn into the cycle and mess with heat transfer in the heatsink or flow through the pump. Made sense to me, but I'm not sure how much it matters either way.

Guest 4561861

The guides I found before assembling it said to put it this way, so bubbles/pockets of air will stay at the highest point (the top end of the radiator), and not get drawn into the cycle and mess with heat transfer in the heatsink or flow through the pump. Made sense to me, but I'm not sure how much it matters either way.
You're good. This is actually the preferred way, but it matters only a little most of the time. The reason it's preferred is that air collects at the highest point, in this case the top of the radiator. With tubes at the bottom the pump is always pumping liquid. In a water-tight loop, tubes at the top would also be okay, because there isn't enough air to suck into the pump. However, in the rare occasions when unnoticed water loss has occurred, the pocket of air may grow large enough to starve the pump of liquid. You can usually hear the pump noise when that happens.

I noticed pricing on AMD cards started to go down, but barely.
They are not as bad as they one were. nVidia 3060 is down as much as $100 USD while the 3090 is still too much at almost $3000 USD.
Post automatically merged:

No, actually. You want the tubes coming out from the bottom. Any air will be at the top of the Radiator so, if the lines are at the top, you will get more air going to the block than liquid. That is if the pump & cold plate are on the block and not in the radiator. Good video about the orientation of the radiator was done by JayzTwoCents

Last edited:

Still missing the CPU cooler, and in a major downturn of events, I think it won't arrive until after the weekend :giveup:
Part and parcel of building a PC -- no worries! I normally take 6+ months to gather everything up whenever I build one.

Top Bottom