Building a gaming PC

+
So anyway, IT IS DONE

Some progress pics

First function test, everything comes to life nicely

Fully assembled with radiator mounted

Some shiny lights

The goofy looking graphics card is my ancient R9 Nano, which I modded with a quiet(er) 92mm fan and a cardboard shroud for airflow. :D

New AMD CPUs look pretty cool, especially with ECO modes. But I'd wait for 3D V-cache versions to compare.
YEa the numbers are pretty great. very expecive too have too buy cpu+mb+ddr5 tho so i think it hasent sold that good atleast here in my country. for a 7950x system with middle mb its around 2100 dollars with a cooler -.- Most stores has plenty of mb/cpus in store zen 3 sold out in 2 mins... Intel Raptorlake comes next month too so im guessing people are waiting too se those prices and so on. They have ddr4 support so could get away cheaper.

Seems like AMD and Intel are remaining competitive in the processor market. Although the 5800x3D still seems to kind of be the kind of gaming processors unless you drop the cash on the highest of high end Intel/AMD.

Also seems like it is going to be tough for AMD to compete with DLSS 3 and the new Ray Tracing stuff - but I guess we will see when they do their big reveal!

Learned that eVGA will no longer be working with Nvidia. That is a crying shame. eVGA cards were my top pick. Nvidia dropped a big ball, there.

Evga said Nvidia were bad partners. At least I hope Sapphire have a better relationship with AMD. I'm using their GPUs for at least 4 iterations already and pretty happy with them.

Evga said Nvidia were bad partners. At least I hope Sapphire have a better relationship with AMD. I'm using their GPUs for at least 4 iterations already and pretty happy with them.
It was a shame to hear about it. And Nvidia really made a mistake here. eVGA cards were extraordinarily reliable, and I've always found them to be just that little bit better on the performance end than they should have been.

That's definitely the end of era.

It was a shame to hear about it. And Nvidia really made a mistake here. eVGA cards were extraordinarily reliable, and I've always found them to be just that little bit better on the performance end than they should have been.

That's definitely the end of era.
Yeah, their quality was good. My last Nvidia card before I started using AMD was from Evga.

I just got a RTX 3070 Ti from EVGA about 6 weeks ago and it seems to be a solid performer I just wish I could get a water block for it but they were only made for the 3070 and EVGA quit producing the 3070 when the 3070 Ti came out. I had a MSI 2080 Seahawk X which was hybrid watercooled and it's hard to get used to the higher temperatures and slightly lower clock speeds. Because I could keep the temperatures down and the clock speeds higher that Seahawk was a real over achiever because I could keep the temps below 60C in most games and it would clock at 1995 - 2010 MHz which made it perform 5-7% better than every other 2080 on the market.

Interested to see if they follow the current pricing "trend" (...:rolleyes:...) or force Nvidia's hand.

Right now, I can safely say that I utterly refuse to pay the prices they're asking for video cards. Don't presently need an upgrade, but this is the first time I can ever remember that the prices made me actively not want an upgrade.

Yeah, pricing creep is annoying. I doubt I'm going to buy the top model due to costs anyway. I have 6800 XT now and will probably buy some upgrade to what can be 7800 XT or something comparable in that sense.

I get around 80-90 fps in CP2077 now with 2560x1440 and max settings with ray tracing off. So giving a bump to above 130 - 140 fps would be already pretty good.

I mostly play RPGs and games where I don't need FPS much over 60 for it to be enjoyable. I currently have a 2080 SUPER and play at 1080p - so I should be able to max out or nearly max out everything coming out in the next year or so. Maybe I'll fall short on a couple games and have to run them at high instead of ultra.

But with Phantom Liberty, Baldur's Gate 3, Skyrim, Hogwarts Legacy, Plague Tale: Requiem, Resident Evil 4 Remake, Dead Space, Callisto Protocol and others coming out I had saved up to buy a super nice 4k monitor and a decked out 40 series system with a 4080 or 4090 to take advantage of the new ray tracing stuff and DLSS3.

But with the price creep I just can't justify it right now. It's not even just inflation either - it is that the cards (ESPECIALLY THE 4080!) are outrageously expensive. At least the 4090 seems to measure up to the price they are charging for it. I just really don't even want to drop $2,000 on a video card when I can buy a whole gaming PC for $2,000.

So for now sticking to 1080p with no HDR and my 2080 SUPER.

Top Bottom