Building a gaming PC

+
62°C is not that much. I'd start worrying once you go beyond 80°C.

Thanks. I had a large tower heatsink (Thermaltake Contac 30) on my old Phenom II X6 OC'ed to 3.7 GHz, and I believe it never reached 60º. I was surprised the 6700k without OC (4 GHz) hit 62 with an Arctic Freezer 13. Case is different though, I used an Antec 902 v3 before (very airy) and now a Fractal Design Define R4 (sound dampening, less airflow apparently).

If I recall correctly, those readouts on the old Phenoms were notoriously inaccurate. I think I encountered temperatures way below room temperature, even below zero °C ;D

The Arctic Freezer 13 is of course not a very powerful heatsink, but as long as you stay away from OC (+ overvolting), it should manage. Also congratulations to the Fractal R4, it's a really nice case.

Last edited:
I might be interested in OC'ing a bit just for fun. Say, 4.5 GHz. Would the Arctic Freezer 13 still be OK? I don't plan on anything wild like 5+ GHz...

Edit: BTW I managed to change the language of Win 7 with a little program called "Vistalizator", which uses the original language packs from M$. Maybe now I can figure out a solution to the *other* thing...

I might be interested in OC'ing a bit just for fun. Say, 4.5 GHz. Would the Arctic Freezer 13 still be OK? I don't plan on anything wild like 5+ GHz...
4,5 GHz is not as little as it may sound for a Skylake CPU. Here they have a small statistic on OC results: http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics
You see, 4.65 GHz is the average achieved overclock, with an average core voltage of 1.37 V. If you're lucky and got a high quality piece of silicon, you might get the 4.5 without raising voltage. If not, I would definitely not touch the Vcore with your current heatsink, and also approach the desired core frequency in 100 MHz steps while keeping an eye on the temperatures under stress.
two informative graphs (ripped from the PCGH.de forum -Great chance to polish your german geeky vocabulary! ;D):

1.4 V is the highest that should be run over prolonged periods of time, or under conventional (air) cooling.

Last edited:
Need suggestions for a PC hardware upgrade - CPU or GPU?

Not sure if this is the sub forum to post this, feel free to move it if it isn't.

I need some advice on what part of my PC to upgrade to get Witcher 3 to run smoother. Currently it's ok but could be better, seeing some FPS drops in certain situations. I've narrowed it down to my CPU(AMD FX 4100 ~3.6 Ghz Quad Core) and my graphics card(4GB Geforce GTX 760).Is the Witcher more CPU or GPU heavy? Which upgrade will see more of a boost in performance? Is it worth it to upgrade both? Because I'm not sure if upgrading my video card to a 4GB GTX 970 will improve the FPS that much.I just don't want to waste my money on unnecessary upgrades.

Which country do you live in? What's your budget? I have a 2GB GTX 960 and i5-4460 and am able to play with 60fps on High settings (with hairworks turned off) but on a 1024x768 resolution (4:3 monitor) although it's still quite early in the game and the fps may drop once I'm in Novigrad. Will post an update when I get there.

I'd get FX-8320, 50 or 70 because I did upgrade at the past from FX-6100 to FX-8370 and the difference is pretty big.
Basically it means +500MHz -10C +2cores as they have improved from that FX-x100 lineup.

After this I'd plan that GPU side, maybe even wait & keep an eye on some nice deal.

If you feel like completely getting new motherboard & memory, then you go 6700K. But I don't see that being in your budget.

Last edited:
Thanks, yea. I think my CPU is looking a bit old and underpowered by today's standards. I might find a good price for the 8370 and buy one. Still not sure if it's worth buying a new graphics cards just yet as the 970 & 980 have ridiculous price tags at the moment and some guides are saying that my card is fine to run the game for the recommended specs

The GTX 760 might be OK for medium detail. If you get performance issues, maybe choose lower settings and/or resolution. In older Red Engines (TW2), one of the main factors affecting performance in mid and lower tier cards was resolution. Try something like 1280x720 or so.

Regarding CPU's, I used to have a quite old Phenom II X6 1090T OC'ed to 3.7 GHz and it ran TW3 surprisingly well with a GTX 970. More specifically, ultra detail for everything but high for shadows, grass density and view distance, with a minimum of 50+ FPS inside Novigrad. In the woods and villages, it was faster. This included Hairworks ON (for Geralt only, probably...?). Without Hairworks, I'd get almost constant 60 FPS even in Novigrad. I now have a 6700K and DDR4 (still GTX 970) and yes the game runs much smoother in general (used to have some mini stuttering and so on) and at a somewhat higher framerate (60 FPS, mid-level Hairworks detail), but it's not overwhelmingly faster. So don't expect massive improvement if you replace just your CPU.

In general I think modern games benefit from enough *sufficiently fast* cores (my OC'ed 6-core Phenom was surprisingly adequate) coupled with a GPU that can output your graphics needs. Unless you have money to spare or like me have to buy a computer from scratch, or if anything below constant 60 FPS in Ultra detail is unacceptable to you, don't go around buying a whole new system just for one game.

[Question] about Hairworks

I'm considering building a PC, and I want to know does any GPU (single GPU, I'm thinking about Mini-ITX) that is sold today is capable 1080p@60 fps in Witcher 3 v1.11?

Saw some videos, read some forums, but there is no consistent answer, neither the videos look plausible (for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqPwdNa0Bzc | In this video there is constant 70+ FPS, but the problem is that there is no hordes of wolves, where Hairworks really shows its FPS hit, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfsFFde6kyo Look 4:30, FPS drops to low 40...).

So ultra with everything on, is only SLI thing at the moment?

The GTX 760 might be OK for medium detail. If you get performance issues, maybe choose lower settings and/or resolution. In older Red Engines (TW2), one of the main factors affecting performance in mid and lower tier cards was resolution. Try something like 1280x720 or so.

Regarding CPU's, I used to have a quite old Phenom II X6 1090T OC'ed to 3.7 GHz and it ran TW3 surprisingly well with a GTX 970. More specifically, ultra detail for everything but high for shadows, grass density and view distance, with a minimum of 50+ FPS inside Novigrad. In the woods and villages, it was faster. This included Hairworks ON (for Geralt only, probably...?). Without Hairworks, I'd get almost constant 60 FPS even in Novigrad. I now have a 6700K and DDR4 (still GTX 970) and yes the game runs much smoother in general (used to have some mini stuttering and so on) and at a somewhat higher framerate (60 FPS, mid-level Hairworks detail), but it's not overwhelmingly faster. So don't expect massive improvement if you replace just your CPU.

In general I think modern games benefit from enough *sufficiently fast* cores (my OC'ed 6-core Phenom was surprisingly adequate) coupled with a GPU that can output your graphics needs. Unless you have money to spare or like me have to buy a computer from scratch, or if anything below constant 60 FPS in Ultra detail is unacceptable to you, don't go around buying a whole new system just for one game.

The GTX 760 is enough for High-Ultra with Hairworcks off locked at 30fps (all the time, never slows down) at 1080p.

I ended up upgrading both the CPU and GPU. Got the AMD 8350 and the 4GB GeForce 970 GTX. It runs so much better and I can put everything on max including Hairworks. Now I'm getting these odd hits of low FPS in towns mainly maybe every ten seconds I don't know why. Happens in other games too like FFXIV

I ended up upgrading both the CPU and GPU. Got the AMD 8350 and the 4GB GeForce 970 GTX. It runs so much better and I can put everything on max including Hairworks. Now I'm getting these odd hits of low FPS in towns mainly maybe every ten seconds I don't know why. Happens in other games too like FFXIV

If you install GeForce Experience make sure to deactivate some streaming option for the Nvidia Shield. When I first played TW3 many patches ago it would take some FPS away, specially on my old AMD CPU.

If you want a really smooth experience though, don't turn Hairworks all the way up.

I'm considering building a PC, and I want to know does any GPU (single GPU, I'm thinking about Mini-ITX) that is sold today is capable 1080p@60 fps in Witcher 3 v1.11?

Nope, not even a 980Ti / Titan X manages consistent 60 FPS. And I wouldn't go to SLI/Crossfire, they are just more trouble than they're worth.

Guys, I have a question for ya! So, I have a GTX 550 Ti around, this is my previous card, and I thinking about that I put back into my PC for a secondary card. I would like to ask you that my PSU able to handle it?
My rig is:
AMD FX 6100
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A.DS3
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 760 OC 4GB
My PSU is a Cooler Master V700 80 plus, which is gold rated.
Will I have any benefit at all?
Thanks

Guys, I have a question for ya! So, I have a GTX 550 Ti around, this is my previous card, and I thinking about that I put back into my PC for a secondary card. I would like to ask you that my PSU able to handle it?
My rig is:
AMD FX 6100
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A.DS3
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 760 OC 4GB
My PSU is a Cooler Master V700 80 plus, which is gold rated.
Will I have any benefit at all?
Thanks

You psu is good enough to handel both video cards but its quite useless. For Nvida Physx it should be a small benefit of around ~1-3 fps.

Got my 980 Ti today:

Went with the cheaper non OC version of the card (since the OC version was whopping 80€ more expensive) and manually overclocked it from the default boost clocks of 1130/7000 to 1400/7300 stable clocks for core & memory. Without raising voltages. The memory would probably OC even higher but I can't really be bothered to find out how much.

Overall I'm happy with the card. Even with the overclocks it stays roughly @ 75C max in The Witcher 3 and still manages to be relatively quiet.

Top Bottom