Building a gaming PC

+
Does anyone here have any good idea for an IPS glossy screen monitor? finding it hard to find one. I'm in Europe.

I'm done with Nvidia, since AMD are getting a lot better (in many senses). Not sure though if I should wait for Vega to come out, or buy the upcoming Polaris 10 card.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this but AMD GPUs tend to have higher frame latency/stutter in many games which Nvidia cards do not. This translates into noticeable microstutters/choppiness whilst gaming. If you'd like I can link you to some comparisons that show the measured frame latency of several cards.

Why? GTX 1070 is looking damn good to me. I thought Nvidia is finally getting it right lol.

Primarily because AMD are going to have good open drivers. Firstly, AMD will release open Vulkan driver (Nvidia won't, at least they didn't say anything about that, their current Vulkan driver is closed). Secondly, Radeonsi (open OpenGL in Mesa for AMD GCN GPUs) is becoming better than closed AMD OpenGL implementation in performance, and almost caught it up on features (not a lot left until OpenGL 4.5, see here https://mesamatrix.net ).

Plus AMD is pushing open and cross vendor graphics and physics libraries (GPUOpen), while Nvidia still pushes their lock-in which doesn't work properly on competition (Gameworks).

Open reverse engineered Nvidia driver (Nouveau) on the other hand still lacks reclocking so it's not suitable for gaming. And Nvidia doesn't want to provide proper open kernel driver either, and I'm growing tired of their closed blob which I'm using for games now.

So I'd say in the near future AMD cards will become the preferable choice for Linux gamers, because AMD is finally getting it right, while Nvidia stays in the dark ages when it comes to openness.

That not to mention that upcoming Polaris does look very promising even from just hardware perspective. But hardware is always half of the picture. Drivers are the second half.

---------- Updated at 05:17 PM ----------

I'm not sure if you're aware of this but AMD GPUs tend to have higher frame latency/stutter in many games which Nvidia cards do not. This translates into noticeable microstutters/choppiness whilst gaming. If you'd like I can link you to some comparisons that show the measured frame latency of several cards.

I wouldn't measure anything by current games. Very few games yet use Vulkan, and those which do can actually benefit from proper asynchronous compute that AMD have (and Nvidia don't).

Last edited:
Primarily because AMD is going to have good open drivers. Firstly, AMD will release open Vulkan driver (Nvidia won't, at least they didn't say anything about that, their current Vulkan driver is closed). Secondly, Radeonsi (open OpenGL in Mesa for AMD GCN GPUs) is becoming better than closed AMD OpenGL implementation in performance, and almost caught it up on features (not a lot left until OpenGL 4.5, see here https://mesamatrix.net ).

Plus AMD is pushing open and cross vendor graphics and physics libraries (GPUOpen), while Nvidia still pushes their lock-in which doesn't work properly on competition (Gameworks).

Open reverse engineered Nvidia driver (Nouveau) on the other hand still lacks reclocking so it's not suitable for gaming. And Nvidia doesn't want to provide proper open kernel driver either, and I'm growing tired of their closed blob which I'm using for games now.

So I'd say in the near future AMD cards will become the preferable choice for Linux gamers, because AMD is finally getting it right, while Nvidia stays in the dark ages when it comes to openness.

That not to mention that upcoming Polaris does look very promising even from just hardware perspective. But hardware is always half of the picture. Drivers are the second half.

---------- Updated at 05:17 PM ----------

I wouldn't measure anything by current games. Very few games yet use Vulkan, and those which are can actually benefit from proper asynchronous compute that AMD have (and Nvidia don't).

I see. But I think Nvidia isn't sitting around doing nothing either. They are probably working on stuff quietly.

I see. But I think Nvidia isn't sitting around doing nothing either. They are probably working on stuff quietly.

May be, but we can't estimate it, while AMD's efforts are measurable and we can see results in practice already. If Nvidia will open up their drivers - I might reconsider.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4obao1/asus_gtx_1080_strix_major_qc_issues/

OP, I also received a GTX 1080 strix yesterday. Temps at a constant 83-86C on max settings in Overwatch, and getting around 100-110 fps. I compared this to an EVGA 1080 SC and the evga card was sitting at a cool 65C, and getting an avg of 20fps higher than the Asus. I even manually set the fan speed to a flatline 90%, which did nothing. Time to RMA, who knows when I will get a replacement...

Yikes! Better stay away from Asus for the time being..

Yeah, ASUS had issues during assembly where the heatsinks and thermal paste weren't being applied properly. This is why the cards were delayed a week (had to go back and fix all the cards). I'm going to attempt to purchase the Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming when it goes up for sale tonight ;).
I just ordered one 2 minutes ago. One of our local PC stores has 11 of them coming in a few days and I'm currently nb. 4 in the line. My vacation starts after next week and I pray I'll get my hands on it before it..

I just ordered one 2 minutes ago. One of our local PC stores has 11 of them coming in a few days and I'm currently nb. 4 in the line. My vacation starts after next week and I pray I'll get my hands on it before it..

Good luck! Hope ya get one in time. I'm about to try and get one before they sell out in a matter of minutes at Newegg lol.

Good luck! Hope ya get one in time. I'm about to try and get one before they sell out in a matter of minutes at Newegg lol.
Good luck. A big store like newegg is going to attract tons of people who are lusting over those cards. So be quick.

Also, just noticed that the card comes with 4 year warranty.

But it damn better with that price tag:

http://www.jimms.fi/fi/Product/Show...tx-1080-xtreme-gaming-naytonohjain-8gb-gddr5x

If I had patience and the willpower to stop gaming for a few of months I'd wait for fall and the inevitable price drops. But I'm dying to play Blood & Wine so no can do..

Good luck. A big store like newegg is going to attract tons of people who are lusting over those cards. So be quick.

Also, just noticed that the card comes with 4 year warranty.

But it damn better with that price tag:

http://www.jimms.fi/fi/Product/Show...tx-1080-xtreme-gaming-naytonohjain-8gb-gddr5x

If I had patience and the willpower to stop gaming for a few of months I'd wait for fall and the inevitable price drops. But I'm dying to play Blood & Wine so no can do..
No dice :(. All 100 cards in stock sold out in 1 minute and 40 seconds at Newegg lol. It's probably my fault cause I was greedy and took extra time to enter a coupon code and used Paypal login to get an extra 2% cash back... if I skipped the $10 coupon and Paypal login I would have checked out a minute faster and gotten one. It's not a big deal though since I didn't really want the premium package (I have no use for the extras it comes with). Hopefully the non-premium version is released soon and I have better luck with that one.

And damn, those are expensive there. Here the premium Xtreme Gaming is $699 and I believe the non-premium version will be $679. I'm also in the same boat as you (wanting to play TW3 on max settings). I still haven't even played the base game more than roughly 10 hours or so because I wanted to wait until both expansions had been released before playing.

No dice :(. All 100 cards in stock sold out in 1 minute and 40 seconds at Newegg lol. It's probably my fault cause I was greedy and took extra time to enter a coupon code and used Paypal login to get an extra 2% cash back... if I skipped the $10 coupon and Paypal login I would have checked out a minute faster and gotten one. It's not a big deal though since I didn't really want the premium package (I have no use for the extras it comes with). Hopefully the non-premium version is released soon and I have better luck with that one.
Damn. Better luck next time.

And damn, those are expensive there. Here the premium Xtreme Gaming is $699 and I believe the non-premium version will be $679.
Yup. Usually the price is roughly the US price + VAT (24% here) but now since the supply is so scarce that has bumped up the prices quite a bit.

In comparison, I just checked how much that Xtreme model costs in Germany's Mindfactory and it was 1150€..

Here are the speccs for my new PC.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 @ 3.2ghz.
RAM: 16GB DD4-2400
POWER SUPPLY: Corsair RM 750.
BOARD: Asus Z170-E
GPU: GTX 1070
SSD: 850 Pro
DISPLAY: Acer 27" 1440p 60hz

Only waiting on the GTX 1070. :)

Last edited:
Here are the speccs for my new PC.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 @ 3.2ghz.
RAM: 16GB DD4-2400
BOARD: Asus Z170-E
GPU: GTX 1070
SSD: 850 Pro
DISPLAY: Acer 27" 1440p 60hz

Only waiting on the GTX 1070. :)

How much you pay for this awesomeness? How many watts is your power source?

How much you pay for this awesomeness? How many watts is your power source?
The cost for the PC itself was $935 USD (assuming the price of the 1070 doesn't go up). Monitor was $250 USD.

Power supply is a Corsair RM 750.

edit: I split the cost with my brother under the condition that each person gets to keep their respective parts when they move out. I own the display, GPU, SSD and case.

Last edited:
Top Bottom