Building a gaming PC

+
Shame it only comes with 4GB of RAM. That cards is a beast. Would love to see benchmarks between it and 1080.

Vega cards should be real beasts.

---------- Post merged on 17-07-2016 at 01:38 AM ----------

Benchmarks for RX 480, radeonsi (Mesa OpenGL for recent AMD GPUs) vs closed implementation of OpenGL from AMD (former catalyst): https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-Mesa-RX480-July-16

Mesa is really competitive. The only downside, it's still missing a few extensions, but they are being worked on: http://mesamatrix.net

Last edited:
Are you sure, that the price is correct?

Yes, I'm 100% sure the price is correct which is why I linked you to the card on Newegg (which has the card for sale at MSRP without a markup). Be careful about shopping at stores like the one you posted (ncixus.com) because they are selling cards for much, much higher than MSRP.

That was from Pc Price Picker actually.

Link below:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7Y...b-xtreme-gaming-video-card-gv-n1070xtreme-8gd

They obviously haven't updated the price, so...

Have send them a email!
Ah, previously you didn't link to PC Part Picker, you linked directly to the NCIXUS site. But regardless of what you linked my warning still applies: be careful where you purchase a new GPU from since currently many sites are selling them for way over MSRP (and getting away with it due to limited availability).

Thanks for the warning. Actually i never have bought something online...i prefer a local store or similar.

Even so, i thing the price is too low. It doesn't make sense as the G1 costs almost the same. Will see if the price stays that way.

Is that GPU available right now, or is that only a suggested list price?

Thanks for the warning. Actually i never have bought something online...i prefer a local store or similar.

Even so, i thing the price is too low. It doesn't make sense as the G1 costs almost the same. Will see if the price stays that way.

Is that GPU available right now, or is that only a suggested list price?

The Gigabyte is available for sale right now at that price. Gigabyte has also mentioned on their FB page they will not increase the price of their cards over MSRP like some of the other companies have been doing (ASUS, MSI, etc.). If you see a Gigabyte card listed for over MSRP it's the store adding the markup, not Gigabyte.

Gigabyte is offering some of the most competitive pricing for their GTX 1070's and 1080's. The GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming premium pack comes with a bunch of extras ($40 HB SLI bridge, front panel connector with 2 HDMI ports and 2 USB 3.0 ports, a mouse pad, a wrist protector, extended 4 year warranty and likely some other stuff I'm forgetting) and this card sells for $699. The MSI equivalent sells for $750 and doesn't offer any of the extras that the Gigabyte card comes with. And to top it off Gigabyte even sent out goodie bags for those who purchased the first batch of their cards at no extra charge (if you wrote a review for their card, positive or negative, doesn't matter which). The bags had a gaming mouse and other items in it.

Last edited:
An overclocked GTX 1060 with minor mods hit 2,200 Mhz on air... not too bad! Would have been nice if he actually had an official driver to use with the overclocks though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2OLQntchWA

---------- Updated at 08:17 AM ----------

And an interesting comparison of GTX 1060 vs RX 480 vs GTX 980 vs GTX 970 in game benchmarks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W7WX6pjL-M

I was surprised to see the GTX 1060 maintain a lead over the RX 480 even in DX12 (Tomb Raider). It appears Nvidia spoke true when they claimed the GTX 1060 would be on average 10-15% faster than the RX 480. The RX 480 will likely close the gap in upcoming games that use Vulcan if Nvidia doesn't improve their driver support for it.

Last edited:
I've been waiting for costum RX 480s since the beginning of this month but with the release of the GTX 1060 I'm getting a bit weak even if I hate Nvidia as a company. God damn it. Seriously, I don't want to get another Nvidia card with all the (Windows 10) driver problems I had in the last couple of months.

I've been waiting for costum RX 480s since the beginning of this month but with the release of the GTX 1060 I'm getting a bit weak even if I hate Nvidia as a company. God damn it. Seriously, I don't want to get another Nvidia card with all the (Windows 10) driver problems I had in the last couple of months.

If you are generally satisfied from the performance of AMD GPUs so far, and the driver support as well,
just go with those new RX 480.

The difference is not that BIG.
And if you play at 1080p (only), some less frame-rates wouldn't make the game unplayable anyway.

So just choose what you thing it's right for you.
There is nothing to hate or not to hate.

Drivers are not the only aspect for having bad performance.
Also as W10 concerns it depends on what game we are taking about.

Normally W10 works very well on most of the games, if not all of them.

Phoronix results: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nv-linux-gtx1060

No Vulkan tests there for some reason. Interestingly, in listed OpenGL tests GTX 1060 beats RX 480 except for Unigine ones.

I suspect it boils down to standard conformance. I.e. may be hardware wise GTX 1060 is probably on par or even worse than RX 480, but when they make shortcuts in OpenGL (i.e non conformant implementations), they optimize outside of the spec for each application individually. Unigine probably is not something that Nvidia tries to circumvent standards wise, that's why it's different.

For real Vulkan tests it's also more real hardware comparison - Vulkan has strict conformance tests, and no one can play any shenanigans there. Not sure about DX12 though.

---------- Updated at 06:37 PM ----------

I'm also waiting for custom RX 480 (probably from Sapphire). But with time going, I might end up waiting for Vega.

If you are generally satisfied from the performance of AMD GPUs so far, and the driver support as well,
just go with those new RX 480.

The difference is not that BIG.
And if you play at 1080p (only), some less frame-rates wouldn't make the game unplayable anyway.

So just choose what you thing it's right for you.
There is nothing to hate or not to hate.

Drivers are not the only aspect for having bad performance.
Also as W10 concerns it depends on what game we are taking about.

Normally W10 works very well on most of the games, if not all of them.

Talking about crashes, freezes, etc. Windows 7 was fine.

Talking about crashes, freezes, etc. Windows 7 was fine.

Yeah, some of those may be related to the W10 (stupid in my opinion) mandatory updates!
That's the only "dangerous" flaw i see on that OS. (except some other minor...)

Microsoft may believe that this was a good idea, by reducing the number of unpatched systems for everyone,
but it does also mean, that when Microsoft releases a bad update, everyone installs it.

If that's the cause of your problems, then YES i agree with you!

Well, I got my Gigabyte 1080 Waterforce in and I managed to get it overclocked to a stable 2114 MHz (after 30 min stress test). With that overclock applied and the radiator fan set to 48% the temp would climb up to 59 C and stay there. With the out of the box overclock it would boost up to 2050 MHz and only required 30% fan speed to maintain 50 C, which was totally silent. At 48% fan speed it is barely audible but you can't hear it if you have headphones on.

Here's a DX12 benchmark with the stock settings:

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/108960

And a DX12 benchmark with manual OC:

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/112232

You basically need two 1080's in SLI to get any higher than that.

Last edited:
Got my new 1070 a few days ago. Enjoying running Witcher 3 on max with a few extra graphics mods installed. Now I understand why CDPR downgraded for optimization's sake. A lot of these LOD mods really tank the frame rate. I generally lose 10 - 15 fps in crowded areas.

Top Bottom