Building Your Character Thread

+

Will you play as a male or a female protagonist for your first walkthrough?

• Total voters
Netrunner is a programmer, Techie is an engineer.

So the difference is basically utilizing software vs hardwave?

Does any of them excel more than the other at hacking? Like do the netrunner also do "social hacking" / persuasion? Hell I need to read the rulebook lol

I think its pretty interesting we're getting a new game from the RPG king in cd project red and I'm very intrigued by how they'll handle those 6 rpg stats, strength, intelligence, ect. I wonder if we'll actually be able to place points at the start of the game in the character creator, or only when we level up, or if they'll go the route of diablo 3/world of warcraft and just automatically assign the points to our character.

Maybe some dialogue options only are accessible with a high enough stat, perhaps the cool stat? Maybe weapons/armor and cool gadgets require a high tech or intelligence stat? Maybe breakable walls require a huge amount of strength? So many damn options. Going to be interesting to see how CDPR does it.

At the top of my head, diablo 2 was the best game at letting us assign points, since I remember certain items like shields and boots required a certain stat and you couldn't equip it unless you had the desired stat. I think this is a whole lot better than a stupid level restriction that the witcher 3 had. No matter what, in CDPR we trust!!!!!!

All I know for sure is that at some point during E3, someone from CDPR said no dialogue trees will be hidden behind a stat check. I'd love to provide you a link, but I just can't. Anyway, I'd prefer for the game to have everything open to you (provided you have enough street cred to receive the side quests) and your stats determine how you can complete the quests.

I think you can assign points to the stats each time you level-up. Otherwise I don't see the point of this system. Alternative is something similar to early Fallout and Baldur's Gate games. You can't change your stats after creating your character, but you can increase skills and perks.

Constitution - probably stamina, health pool and regeneration powers. Ability to wear certain implants related to the listed things.

Strength - ability to use heavier guns and armor, lifting/flipping heavy objects like cars or crates, ability to crush walls. Melee damage.

I wouldn't be surprised if augmentations could alter your stats even without leveling up - Augs can be installed in brains to increase intelligence, your arms or legs for strength, etc...

The new Deus Ex games (for example) didn't have stats, but augs for different body parts could give you passives that are pretty much the same - strength for more inventory space or lifting heavy objects, constitution for more health, stamina for longer sprints and such.

Also, it's not a stretch if items that you equip (body armor parts / weapons) could give increased stats, as it's pretty much done in every RPG.

This is something that makes the core of rpg systems here, but from everything they've revealed it's hard to find find any concrete info on this. Some mention it's similar to Witcher III, others describe it closer to Skyrim: horizontal system, independent skills you improve in and distribute perk points in each.

If devs are reading this, we'd appreciate more info or for this to be more clarified in next presentation/interview/etc.

Is it one or the other or combination of both? Solo: combat/stealth/other "physical" skills, Techie: crafting and variety of skills relating to technology, Netrunner: exclusively hacking.
What about social or knowledge skills?
How many skills, approximately?
Are they stat dependent ( like with Fallout perks requirements) or gain additional benefits from them?
Do they use trainers in the world ( Arcanum, Gothic, etc)?
How does "fluid system works"? Is similar to Amalur or Andromeda: based on point distribution, you gain different passive/or active abilities benefits to certain playstyle ( as "more open" system of character specialization)
Can we respec?
Is it "improve by use" system ( or uses this partially) or strictly, more traditional, gain exp by completing quests?
Do you gain exp by killing enemies, using alternate routes, etc?

Unlike First Person Perspective and First Person Shooting I suspect (hope?) this is one aspect of the game not yet locked in stone. Currently (given what little we know) it sounds similar to Witcher III.

Unlike First Person Perspective and First Person Shooting I suspect (hope?) this is one aspect of the game not yet locked in stone. Currently (given what little we know) it sounds similar to Witcher III.
If it is like Witcher 3, it has more depth, at least. Or, additional layers. Instead of JUST having perks (which were dull), we have skills and attributes as well.

Attributes definitely, but is there any more detailed information on skills? Are they just perks with multiple ranks, and if not, is it known what the skills are?

Currently (given what little we know) it sounds similar to Witcher III.

Witcher ( organization) type of skills would really make no sense ( or at least I hope they realize this). You cannot put stealth perks right next to guns, melee, etc.

And this damn worries me for skills that fall outside of solo/techie/netrunner: like persuasion, pickpocket, etc.

Attributes definitely, but is there any more detailed information on skills? Are they just perks with multiple ranks, and if not, is it known what the skills are?
Skills are things like Engineering and Hacking. There's some disagreement between me and Su, but CDPR has stated on multiple occasions (as well as many previewers) "attributes, skills, and perks," suggesting these are three different things.

Not really convinced by the above quote, it talks about skills and attributes, and does not mention perks. But the Witcher games have perks and call them talents or abilities (depending on the game), while in other games perks are also commonly called "skills". So, it is still ambiguous to me. Not that a Witcher style skill system would be an issue, it would just be interesting to know what it really is like.

Not really convinced by the above quote, it talks about skills and attributes, and does not mention perks. But the Witcher games have perks and call them talents or abilities (depending on the game), while in other games perks are also commonly called "skills". So, it is still ambiguous to me. Not that a Witcher style skill system would be an issue, it would just be interesting to know what it really is like.
Well, guess we'll have to wait and see. I've seen them mentioned separately on too many occasions to be skeptical.

Hope I'm not proven wrong, but it's possible.

These journalists don't have a clue about asking the right questions.

How he describes it here, it does sound like the Witcher: perks+active abilities for specific, set playstyle.

But "Fluid" class system?
That indicates a completely different structure, circular with multiple "entry points" and deeply intertwined, instead of classic "skill tree". Like in Path of Exile or in many JRPGs ( like Final Fantasy X).

But they could also be using ( at least some of PnP) skills as separate system next to this, sort of as "add-on", that any "active class", can also use.

This would make more sense for gameplay heavily action oriented.

Last edited:
Lots of people confuse skills with perks.

During the Fallout 1 & 2 days they were clearly separate things, but a good many of the FPS/RPG(lite) games currently on the market (and WoW for that matter) use "skill trees" which are really "perk trees". As you level you gain access to new bonuses to existing abilities and occasionally new abilities. But in all cases there are various prerequisite abilities or level requirements.

With a traditional skill system you're (pretty much) free to select whatever you want at any time up to whatever cap your available "skill points" permits. You could dump everything into a single skill if you desired, and rarely are there prerequisite abilities or level requirements.

Witcher ( organization) type of skills would really make no sense ( or at least I hope they realize this). You cannot put stealth perks right next to guns, melee, etc.
Sure you can, it's done all the time in various games. You have a "stealth tree" a "guns tree" etc.

And given what little we know I suspect this is how CP2077 currently works.

Witcher III had a "Combat", "Signs", "Alchemy", and "General" tree after all.

And within combat, signs and alchemy, there are further "skills" like fast attack, strong attack, Quen, oils, etc., each of them being a set of perks with multiple ranks. So, I can very well imagine a roughly similar system in Cyberpunk, even if it is not organized exactly the same way. Not sure exactly what a "fluid" class system means, but if it is about being able to relatively freely mix abilities from different classes, it is again something that is consistent with The Witcher 3.

Top Bottom