Bundled XML - Script Merging vs. Mod Merging vs. Game Management

+

Guest 3841499

Bundled XML - Script Merging vs. Mod Merging vs. Game Management

I am a bit confused on how these tools "merge/combine" bundled XML files. A perfect example would be Ghost Mode mod. The author of the mod advises to also use Scabbards for NPC's mod and NitPicker's Patch mod, but advises against merging these 3 mods. I am not actually asking about this particular case - its just a good example. I want to understand how this merging works.

Let's assume those are the only 3 mods installed. All 3 mods have bundles, each with several conflicting XML files for whichever items. There are only a few conflicts between Scabbards for NPC's mod and NitPicker's Patch mod, BUT there is a ton of conflicts between Ghost Mode & Scabbards for NPC's mod, and many between Ghost Mode & NitPicker's Patch mod. What is the most appropriate way to merge them in case merging becomes necessary in the future due to a high number of installed mods with bundles and textures?

I can think of 3 possible methods to deal with these 3 mods:
1. Not merge any of them, simply prioritize by file name or through mods.settings file. In this case, top priority goes to Ghost Mode, second priority to Scabbards for NPC's, and third (lowest) priority is for NitPicker's Patch. What does the game do in this case when it detects conflicts within Bundled XML files? Does the game simply use all of any single prioritized file OR does it combine non-conflicting parts of all XML files from ALL 3 mods and prioritizing only the parts that have conflict?
2. Merge with Script Merger and during conflict detection choose "A (Ghost Mode) over B (Scabbards for NPC's) and/or over C (NitPicker's Patch) for unresolved conflicts". What does Script Merger do in this case? Does it prioritize single whole XML files if it detects conflicts between A&B or A&C or A&B&C or does it COMBINE them?
3. Merge with Mod Merger and simply prioritize based on position. What does Mod Merger do when it detects conflicts - MERGES non-conflicting parts of the same files or does it simply discard de-prioritized files and utilizes all of single XML file from prioritized mod?

I am sorry if it all sounds confusing - I am having a hard time figuring out how to specifically ask what it is I want to ask. English is not my first language...

Understandable, it can be a little confusing!
You cannot merge Ghost Mode or those others due to their XML files. Prioritisation is what you should do. I think it just picks the conflicts and let's the one with priority win.

In the case of Ghost Mode vs Nitpicker's and Scabbards it's somewhat different. You give Ghost Mode priority in that case because it already has the XML files of Nitpicker's and Scabbards to increase compatibility, courtesy of WGhost.

Guest 3841499

Others say otherwise and you did not explain anything... IF Mod Merger works ONLY through prioritization of whole XML files over other whole XML files WITHOUT actually combining them, then there is no reason not to merge them. If it actually COMBINES them, then it can be an issue. You are also wrong about Ghost Mode, Scabbards, and NitPicker's Patch. Have even looked at their XML files??? Some are VASTLY different.

I would like someone who knows for sure to reply.

Script Merging does not merge xml's, only detects them.

Mod Merging does not touch the contents of the actual files, just bundles them together (in the case of the mods you are trying to merge, only one will be used and the rest won't be loaded).

The best way to merge the contents of each xml would be to look at what they do differently and manually change the xml.

edit:

Apparently I've been told that script merger now merges xml files, which means my script merger is apparently out of date.

Last edited:
XML content from Nitpicker, Scabbards (and Witcher Book Collection aswell) are include in GM.

Mod Merger don't combine anything. It is not recommended to merge the mods with XML (with mod merger) because otherwise you will no longer be able to merge XML with Script Merger.

But you can merge XML conflicts first with Script Merger, and merge those mods with Mod Merger after, in that order.

Last edited:

Guest 3841499

XshI0u;n9684811 said:
XML content from Nitpicker, Scabbards (and Witcher Book Collection aswell) are include in GM.

Mod Merger don't combine anything. It is not recommended to merge the mods with XML (with mod merger) because otherwise you will no longer be able to merge XML with Script Merger.

But you can merge XML conflicts first with Script Merger, and merge those mods with Mod Merger after, in that order.

Yeah, that is what I have been told repeatedly, but I ONLY have those 3 - Ghost Mode, Scabbards, NitPicker's Patch. Does it make any sense to Script Merge them? There are some major conflicts in some files and in others you can clearly see that adjusted gameplay stats from Ghost mode would be affected if Ghost Mode is to be merged with NitPicker's Patch and Scabbards, not something you want. That is why I only Mod-Merged them...

You should absolutely not merge those mods with script merger (XML part), because content from Scabbard and Nitpicker are already in GM, you have nothing to win to merge them, except issues. Its only true for those mods and GM.

Guest 3841499

XshI0u, I followed your guide on how to merge DLC's with Mod Merger and I only encountered one issue. DLCScabbards does not place bundle files in "DLCScabbards\content" directory. It places bundle files in "DLCScabbards\content\bundles" directory. The only way to merge DLCScabbards with other DLC's is to move bundle files from "DLCScabbards\content\bundles" directory directly into "DLCScabbards\content" directory. Do you think that would break anything?

Why do you think Scabbards DLC keeps bundle files in "content\bundles" directory and not in "content" directory?

Top Bottom