Calanthe needs to be changed. Her ability is unhealthy for the game.

+

rrc

Forum veteran
Just drawing any card is simply broken. Remember why Emhry was changed? When an ability of a leader is common and not faction specific, it can be abused in various ways. The devs gave a detailed explanation of why they are changing Emhry; his ability limits the design space. Whenever a leader can use any card, the first target would be Shupe. Emhyr abused Shupe too much that he had to be changed. Now the story repeats, but even more intensively.

Calanthe can draw any card? How come no one saw that this can be abused in a million different ways? How did this pass the design team discussion? It still baffles me; this particular leader ability. The various Calanthe versions that are circulating are all about super costly neutral cards. Portal, Caretaker, Shupe. Caretaker, no one else will dare to use it as he is too damn costly and if you don't draw him and the artifact target you are at a huge disadvantage. It wont be late before someone finds a way to use Zoltan Scoundrel, you know, the cards which are super costly.

"But.. Calanthe is not played that much. She doesn't seem OP." are very wrong argument. When Emhyr was changed, I don't think he was too OP either. He was changed on moral principles. And then why CDPR does the same mistake again? Why getting carried away? NR needed to be buffed, no one is arguing that, but why giving broken leader ability?

Calanthe should be changed to something like below or completely different. She shouldn't be left like this irrespective of whether she is popular or her win % is not high.

14 Provisions: Play an NR card and draw an NR card of your choice. Let the leader confine herself with the faction, let her draw Vernon Roche or Merciless or Draug or Adalia. It is still freaking broken and strong, but at least digestable.

(I have faced Calanthe less than five times in this entire month. I am not creating this post because I lost to Calanthe many times. But this leader gives me creeps. She should be changed.)

Remember why Emhry was changed?

As a ST player, I am surprised you didn't mention Dana. Dana and Cleaver are both poorer versions of Calanthe, though Cleaver is (also) part of a strong(er) faction. My guess is that the devs are fully aware of the situation and will change Dana and Emhyr when it's their faction's time to receive an overhaul.

TL;DR: Based on the past, you are right. Based on the future, you might not be. Time will tell.

How is she even broken? I've played against her a bit and never thought her ability needs to be changed. I think its great and you can get some cool combos with her it seems.

Besides that, you have a problem with Calanthe who only has a single use but not Calveit + Damien combo?? Strange...

Seems people think every leader is broken these days.

I hope she stays the way she is. Nothing wrong with it. As I've said before there are enough leaders that don't get used as it is and yet here we have a seldom used leader and you still want it nerfed??

How is she even broken? I've played against her a bit and never thought her ability needs to be changed. I think its great and you can get some cool combos with her it seems.

Besides that, you have a problem with Calanthe who only has a single use but not Calveit + Damien combo?? Strange...

I hope she stays the way she is. Nothing wrong with it. As I've said before there are enough leaders that don't get used as it is and yet here we have a seldom used leader and you still want it nerfed??

Do you have any idea how cards are designed? Power: Provisions? Restrictions? Deck building requirement? RNG factor? ...

She is not broken, her ability is just overtuned. A tutor leader that can pull ANY card without deck building requirement and with 16 provisions is clearly not well balanced.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
in a game with dikstra as a leader its shame to talk about broken leaders., calanthe is fine., until dickstra is nerfed there is
no reason to even play gwent.thats why everybody plays ursuper witch he is also fine but not to that extent that he is played
because of dickstra

in a game with dikstra as a leader its shame to talk about broken leaders., calanthe is fine., until dickstra is nerfed there is
no reason to even play gwent.thats why everybody plays ursuper witch he is also fine but not to that extent that he is played
because of dickstra

Dijkstra is honestly not that bad that Gwen is unplayable. That's a bit melodramatic.

because of dickstra
Then what would Foltest be, if Dijkstra would be breaking the game ?

The other 4 factions do need focused reconsideration, which they (from what I seem to recall) already stated they would do, NR is already done and a lot more interesting, the others should follow.

Then what would Foltest be, if Dijkstra would be breaking the game ?

The other 4 factions do need focused reconsideration, which they (from what I seem to recall) already stated they would do, NR is already done and a lot more interesting, the others should follow.

Agreed. I want NR and SY to be the benchmark from now on.

Now Ive finally been able to build a deck around Sihil just for fun and playing casually and it is so much fun to play with Calanthe. I can play Vincent Meis and Sihil in the same turn with her leader ability lol. Honestly she doesn't seem op. NR doesnt have deck thinning or leader ability renewal like Nilfgarrd.

There are criterias in designing a card which affects the power and provisions, and it seems that you don't understand those. :facepalm:
This is not about her being broken, overpowered, or just fine. It's about her ability complying to the design criteria.

• RED Point
I agree that she should be changed to pull an NR card, or a card with lower provision or something like that. Ok, we'll have other faction reworked but unless they completely change their abilities, other leaders that play a card are limited by deckbuilding or to a small choice of cards they can pick up from.
Another solution would be that she picks the card at the end of turn so she can't play the chosen card in the combo, unlike those others.

• RED Point

rrc

Forum veteran
As a ST player, I am surprised you didn't mention Dana. Dana and Cleaver are both poorer versions of Calanthe, though Cleaver is (also) part of a strong(er) faction. My guess is that the devs are fully aware of the situation and will change Dana and Emhyr when it's their faction's time to receive an overhaul.

TL;DR: Based on the past, you are right. Based on the future, you might not be. Time will tell.
I can't believe that the great @4RM3D has completely misunderstood my point (or am I the one who hasn't understood him?). Dana and Cleaver has severe deck building requirements and they can't pull *any* card. Dana basically needs all 25 cards to be ST card and she can only pull another ST and if she has to pull a good powerful card like Ithline, she has to add some shitty cards in the deck to be able to do that. Same is the case with Cleaver. He can't even pull Shupe (at least effectively.. to have 8 crimes and no duplicates is horrible) and he can only pull a special card. On top of that he has deck-building restrictions too.

Now, lets see Calanthe. No conditions whatsoever on deck building and no restriction whatsoever on the card she can pull and play. Effectively, she has Royal Decree, Land of Thousand Fables, and Avallach Sage in built within and she can choose whichever she wants. On top of that she has more provisions than the other two. It is simply ridiculous. I had faced her once after I created the post and Portal+Caretaker sh*t was played. There is a bloody reason why there are three different tutors for three different card types: Unit, Special, Artifacts and Calanthe has all three with in her. How is this even fair? And how is this even comparable to Dana and Cleaver who has deck building restrictions and what card they can play.

If she isn't overpowered leave her alone for now.
You are comparing Calanthe with Calveit? That is just wrong (don't get me wrong. I am not an NG main). If you want to involve another card which is on order when we are talking about leaders, it is just funny.

If she isn't overpowered leave her alone for now.
She is overpowered. Just that there is even bigger OP leaders out there she is not fully explored. Once other leaders are tuned down (and god forbid if she is left as she is), she will become the next Foltest/DJ (which she already is IMO). Even if she is not overpowered, her ability to play *any* card is plain wrong. Then what is the point of having three different types of cards and three different tutors for each?

There are criterias in designing a card which affects the power and provisions, and it seems that you don't understand those. :facepalm:
This is not about her being broken, overpowered, or just fine. It's about her ability complying to the design criteria.
Thank YOU!

I can't believe that the great @4RM3D has completely misunderstood my point (or am I the one who hasn't understood him?).

Like I have said: "Dana and Cleaver are both poorer versions of Calanthe". You are just reiterating what I've mentioned. Also, my explanation goes further: "My guess is that the devs are fully aware of the situation and will change Dana and Emhyr when it's their faction's time to receive an overhaul".

So, how was I not being clear? :think:

She is overpowered. Just that there is even bigger OP leaders out there she is not fully explored. Once other leaders are tuned down (and god forbid if she is left as she is), she will become the next Foltest/DJ (which she already is IMO). Even if she is not overpowered, her ability to play *any* card is plain wrong. Then what is the point of having three different types of cards and three different tutors for each?
!

Her ability on paper looking at all of the leaders in the game can be called over powered. What I meant was that in the context of Northern Realms itself she isn't over powered at all. If she was any weaker like before she wouldn't be played and that's worse than having her like she is now. Even with her current ability I don't see any decks using her that are really good. The best NR decks are using Foltest and I would even argue that Meve probably has better decks than anything Calanthe can put together.

Now in the future her ability will probably get too strong and her provisons will need to be adjusted. That I can agree with. As 4RM3D pointed out, the devs are currently planning on buffing the other factions. I think it's best to wait and see what happens with them before targeting Calanthe as a problem.
Post automatically merged:

Leaders are designed in context with their faction. Calanthe has been adjusted twice because no one was using her so think what they did makes sense in context. I'm going to wait to see what they do with the other factions before making a final conclusion on Calanthe.

Her ability on paper looking at all of the leaders in the game can be called over powered. What I meant was that in the context of Northern Realms itself she isn't over powered at all. If she was any weaker like before she wouldn't be played and that's worse than having her like she is now. Even with her current ability I don't see any decks using her that are really good. The best NR decks are using Foltest and I would even argue that Meve probably has better decks than anything Calanthe can put together.

Exactly, there are already too many unused leaders in the game. And like you said when the other factions have been looked at then maybe they can look at Calanthe if there is anything wrong with her, which after the overhauls of the other factions I doubt there will be.

*sigh
This is not an argument about the power level of Calanthe's ability, i don't care if shes strong or not. It's about her ability complying to the design criteria.

This issue wouldn't have happened if CDPR just ******* sticks with CIntrian theme. Her model is also unacceptable, she is supposed to be a beautiful woman in her late 40's, not some skinny gran in her 70's or 80's.

Top Bottom