Call of Duty put third person view into their new game, RE village selling Third person mode as a DLC, May be 2077 should do the same

+
Another third person thread LOL

On the technical aspects, the most bare minimum that CDPR able to do (if they are willing here) without breaking anything & minimal efforts is to make non combat moves, like simple walking, running, jumping available in third person with proper animation, like Destiny 2 for example. It is certainly the most minute compromise & I am sure even the most hardcore FPP fans out there would at least be fine with it (I sure hope so LOL).

I mean take a look at this early alpha footage that CDPR themselves featured in their latest 20th anniversary video!

So yes, it has been confirmed & can't be denied that the game was conceptualized to have TPP too very early on. Will CDPR finally come back for that aspects? I honestly don't know but I sure hope so.

So yes, it has been confirmed & can't be denied that the game was conceptualized to have TPP too very early on.
If I have to guess, they "start" to develop the game in third person, mainly because they didn't have any tools (or skills) to make it in first person. So they "started" at first, with a view that they (very) well know and (very) well made before in their previous games, i.e third person (and absolutely no first person view at all). Then took the decision afterward to switch entirely at the first person :)

Edit : knowing that it's so "on early development", that The Witcher 3 wasn't released yet (so they probably used "the Witcher" tools on Red Engine 3).

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

If I have to guess, they "start" to develop the game in third person, mainly because they didn't have any tools (or skills) to make it in first person.
I think it's more likely that their vision of the game simply evolved and changed.
Early on, The Witcher 1 was envisioned as the game with custom-made protagonist, not Geralt.
Early on, Mass Effect 1 was envisioned as the game where you could take control of your party members, like in Dragon Age.
Those are clearly just design decisions, not technical limitations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's more likely that their vision of the game simply evolved and changed.
Early on, The Witcher 1 was envisioned as the game with custom-made protagonist, not Geralt.
Early on, Mass Effect 1 was envisioned as the game where you could take control of your party members, like in Dragon Age.
Those are clearly just design decisions, not technical limitations.
Yep true, it was just a guess :)
I just thought that when they start to devellop the game, they simply did it in the perspective in which they had the most experience and probably the tools ready to do it. I assume the ressources allowed to Cyberpunk at "early" developpement were very limited (so you do with what you have^^)
I could be wrong (also a guess), but in these "third person gameplay" video, it's only in the apartment. So maybe after "buidling" Night City, they decided that it would be "better" to experience the game in first person (so nothing to do with "technical limitation").

Last edited:
Can't imagine shooting in TPP, there's so many weapons, whole combat is focused around it, weapons and their animations are god thier. Gameplay is very fast, dynamic and it works well (synergy with cyberpunk universum). TPP games are slow games and often clunky. Thankfully there's not many TPP cutscenes, only few of them, I've found them off in other games. I get why there's TPP driving for example - cuz driving in FPP is hell, most of time. But other aspects of game like combat, exploration, conversations are done well. I mean TPP combat would be big downgrade of experience.

It's a good FPS at least in the gunfights, no discussion on it

But i think the experience would be more memorable with conversations in TPS. CDPR let me create my own V, i dont want to do that just for taking screenshots. I mean i can ear my V crying but i can't see him, never, my character is just an no head stickman with a broken shadow

At least seeing V on cameras sometimes or little cutscenes would be great, just few seconds, just like in 2018 gameplay

I love this game, he's great, but for me, it's the most ... "Forgotten" ? feature. And the most request, for sure.

Sorry for my english, i trying :facepalm:

First person was chosen as an artistic choice and you'd lose so much when viewing the game in third person, from V's presence in NC (looking up and being dwarfed by huge megabuildings) to characters making eye contact with you/V, to say nothing of utilising the JALI system. It'd be like playing Prey (2017) in TPP.

Can't imagine shooting in TPP, there's so many weapons, whole combat is focused around it, weapons and their animations are god thier. Gameplay is very fast, dynamic and it works well (synergy with cyberpunk universum). TPP games are slow games and often clunky. Thankfully there's not many TPP cutscenes, only few of them, I've found them off in other games. I get why there's TPP driving for example - cuz driving in FPP is hell, most of time. But other aspects of game like combat, exploration, conversations are done well. I mean TPP combat would be big downgrade of experience.

TPS doesn't always mean slow many fast pace shooting games utilized third-person over-the-shoulder PoV
even CALL OF DUTY established fast pace FPS franchise can make TPP wrap around it
even the way they did it's not even something new
some other games did it before

TPS doesn't always mean slow many fast pace shooting games utilized third-person over-the-shoulder PoV
even CALL OF DUTY established fast pace FPS franchise can make TPP wrap around it
even the way they did it's not even something new
some other games did it before
"many fast pace shooting games utilized third person over the shoulder PoV" any example? at leas one.

That would probably require many animation updates for 3rd person alone. o_O So much attention for something that is not important to the current design of the game. Would be cool though. I love seeing my character in the action and fully animated in 3rd person in most games.

"many fast pace shooting games utilized third person over the shoulder PoV" any example? at leas one.
Gears of war
Saints row
GTA
Ghost recon phantoms
Call of duty
Blackfire
Earth defense force
Outrriders
Warframe
Dead space 3
Plant vs zombies GW
Killing in action
Uncharted
World war z
Aliens fireteam
Star wars battle fronts
Sunsets overdruve infamous
And the list goes on and on since there's too many of them

"hardcore fast pace" movement shooter that I could think that must have TPP or all hell break loose:
Warframe
Returnal
Max Payne
Vanquish
Rollerdrome

I am not saying this games can't have FPP, but there is a clear reasons why the devs made this games into TPP shooter. Clarity & environmental awareness for examples.
Personally, I would say CP2077 gunplay pacing is similar to Destiny & Mass Effect series, somewhat fast & somewhat methodical. Both of these games are also have RPG elements in gunplay despite Destiny being FPS, while Mass Effect being TPS. So to suggest only FPS had fast pace shooter is very wrong & can be argued it's opposite for some genres. For example, having a realistic slow methodical FPS in tactical shooter is what most milsim shooter supposed to be. Another one would be FPS in horror genre, like RE7 & RE8, where being sluggish & claustrophobic feels are what this games supposed to have.

Gears of war
Saints row
GTA
Ghost recon phantoms
Call of duty
Blackfire
Earth defense force
Outrriders
Warframe
Dead space 3
Plant vs zombies GW
Killing in action
Uncharted
World war z
Aliens fireteam
Star wars battle fronts
Sunsets overdruve infamous
And the list goes on and on since there's too many of them
[...].But ok some people want to have TPP cinematic experience. The way I see it, FPP-only was very good choice, it makes game distinctive, more immersive and refreshing (cinematic conversations, interactions, without damn cutscenes) and basically saved game from label "poor man's GTA" - unavoidable fate with so many retarded content made about games these days. FPP is making game what it is - pretty unique experience, and that's value for some people - well for many people. You know playing somethhing different, different IP, with new characters etc. not playing same TTP cinematic experience with tons of cutscenes.
Warframe
Returnal
Max Payne
Vanquish
Rollerdrome
None of them are good shooters. Or even have half of dynamic FPS can bring. In Max Payne you even have bullet time, which was main selling point as far as I remember, shooting was not main selling points and it's not very "dynamic" gameplay, more like circling around limitations of TPP.

Deus Ex , classic cyberpunk title, another title is also FPP, with TPP when taking cover (well there's TPP in Cyberpunk - driving). So we have two big, established cyberpunk franchises and they both are almost exclusively FPP. I wonder why? What is reason behind it? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't say I'm interested in TPP gameplay, but I'd totally LOVE to see optional TPP cutscenes added (as a bonus mode you unlock after you complete the game at least once, so you're not robbed of the artists' original vision).

I have no idea how difficult cutscenes would be to implement but... they sure do like to make a lot of them for their PR stuff :p Plus I got the impression from Patrick Mills that it makes things a bit easier? But there's probably nuance that I'm missing there; I get that CP77 would've been easier to make had they originally stuck with TPP cutscenes ala Witcher 3, but I have no idea how easy/difficult it would be to retroactively add them after the fact.

I have no idea how difficult cutscenes would be to implement but...
Not sure, but I think it would be the most difficult (or at least, the most "time consuming") in comparaison to just a "wandering TTP". To "make" it good enough (same "quality" as in TW3), I believe they would need to fix V's position, adjust some lightings (if V is in a dark "spot" it would ruin the whole scene^^) and fix several camera positions/angles for each scenes or dialogue lines :)

None of those are open world games and lack any RPG elements whatsoever. From the environments to character models, none of that framework exists for TPP and would not suit this kind of world, frankly it would look cartoonish. You need to be a bit more realistic, the devs know more than you do about what's practical and what isn't. This isn't practical

Simply put...It would look silly.

Last edited:
Not sure, but I think it would be the most difficult (or at least, the most "time consuming") in comparaison to just a "wandering TTP". To "make" it good enough (same "quality" as in TW3), I believe they would need to fix V's position, adjust some lightings (if V is in a dark "spot" it would ruin the whole scene^^) and fix several camera positions/angles for each scenes or dialogue lines :)

I mean, thats exactly why Patrick Mills explained why FPP cutscenes are so difficult compared to TPP cutscenes. In any case, no one said cutscenes pop out like magic. Of course you still have to do work (such is life!). It's certainly not the case that making TPP cutscenes is insurmountably difficult or anything. They literally have people animating TPP clips for their PR stuff (even just for fun sometimes, as we saw in their 20 year video last Friday). Making the cinematics doesn't seem to be an issue for them; the real question would be, "how hard is it to slot them into the game?"

I mean, thats exactly why Patrick Mills explained why FPP cutscenes are so difficult compared to TPP cutscenes. In any case, no one said cutscenes pop out like magic. Of course you still have to do work (such is life!). It's certainly not the case that making TPP cutscenes is insurmountably difficult or anything. They literally have people animating TPP clips for their PR stuff (even just for fun sometimes, as we saw in their 20 year video last Friday). Making the cinematics doesn't seem to be an issue for them; the real question would be, "how hard is it to slot them into the game?"
Sure, that's why I add "time consuming" (i.e ressources consuming, money consuming). If they want, they totally can do it and "easily" I suppose.
But knowing that the majority of Reds who work on Cyberpunk work on the expansion. It's hard to imagine CDPR transferring part of these teams/devs simply to add a feature that was never planned and require a bunch of work :)

Top Bottom