Calling all creative gamers!

+
Hello!

Do you stretch the limits of games? Do you play with the rules rather than by them? Do you think games are creative?

I am a second year PhD student at the Institute of Educational Technology at The Open University. My project focuses on the little explored area of creativity in digital games, and what players may learn from being creative in games. This also includes what aspects of game-based creativity are transferable to other areas of life such as the workplace, other hobbies or formal educational settings.

I am seeking people over the age of 18 who regularly play (3+ times per week) a range of different digital games– online, offline, on PC, console, mobile or any other digital medium. I'm also interested in hearing from speedrunners, modders, AAR writers, fanfiction writers, game artists, developers and those engaged in any other game-related creative pursuits.

Taking part will involving filling in an online survey taking approximately 30 minutes to complete.

To take part or find out more please visit: https://openuniversity.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/creativity-and-learning-in-digital-games

Also, if you know of anyone else who may be interested I would be very grateful if you could pass this on :)

Also filled it in. Great questions, they all felt very unbiased, which I appreciated. Other, similar surveys have come across as being quite judgemental.

Also looking forward to seeing the results, I ticked "Yes" for seeing both the summary and the final thesis/publication.

Done! Fun little survey to fill out. Enjoyed it a lot. Can't wait to see what the results are. Also to the Person reading my filled out answers... I'm not a psychopath, I swear! :D

Hello!

Do you stretch the limits of games? Do you play with the rules rather than by them? Do you think games are creative?

I am a second year PhD student at the Institute of Educational Technology at The Open University. My project focuses on the little explored area of creativity in digital games, and what players may learn from being creative in games. This also includes what aspects of game-based creativity are transferable to other areas of life such as the workplace, other hobbies or formal educational settings.

I am seeking people over the age of 18 who regularly play (3+ times per week) a range of different digital games– online, offline, on PC, console, mobile or any other digital medium. I'm also interested in hearing from speedrunners, modders, AAR writers, fanfiction writers, game artists, developers and those engaged in any other game-related creative pursuits.

Taking part will involving filling in an online survey taking approximately 30 minutes to complete.

To take part or find out more please visit: https://openuniversity.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/creativity-and-learning-in-digital-games

Also, if you know of anyone else who may be interested I would be very grateful if you could pass this on :)
I am 16 but do fit all your other requirments but I just really love videogames and I them still the very end I have been play the same game for the past two years also I have play fps,rpgs,action-adventures,racing,stealth games both off and online.

Shared it on my local Deus Ex community facebook page. Hopefully, they'll add up some numbers for the survey.

Thank you everyone for filling it in (and thanks hallfing2080 for sharing on the Deus Ex community, much appreciated!). I am glad it was enjoyable! Filling in surveys can be a drag, so we tried to make it as engaging as possible :)

Done, this was very insightful, interesting to see the results in the end. Good Luck with the Project, Best Wishes.

Had some emotionally charged answers. Had a copy of the survey saved in PDF. May it be useful in piecing your findings.

I think this survey doesn't indicate what a "hardcore gamer" might mean. Would it mean a serious interest in games as such, or just how much you play computer games?

I used to play a lot of games, but these days, I don't, still I would consider myself a hardcore gamer, certainly not a casual gamer. I want a serious relationship with my games, meaning that I want to take the games seriously.

Presumably, most people will interpret "hardcore gamer" to mean, someone that spends a lot of time playing computer games. Ofc, the type of question involving the phrase "hardcore gamer" might be more related to how the gamer appear to perceive him-/herself, and as such have other value in such research other than simply indicating some measure of *how* this person plays computer games objectively.

done!
Post automatically merged:

To the OP:
I have to add something that i didn't put in the survey....
The survey is probably more focused on the learning process then on the outcome of the numbers it self.
But... the outcome will be tainted with assumptions or the outcome will not be as solid as concrete.

The reason that i make this post is because there is a wide variety of genre that ask and gives different incentives.
For instance MOBA's demands creative thinking, while (recti)linear games are intent to be numbing.

Here is a podcast link that you definitely like and want to hear. it is about story telling and what it does with the brain.
https://www.startalkradio.net/show/the-power-of-storytelling-with-salman-rushdie/

it is not an attack and iam not saying the survey is bad... i just like to give (good) feedback in the hope it helps

Keep up the great work! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom