Calling for your questions! Gamescom 2018 Edition

+
It's good that they responded (especially on my questions ;) ), nice work Kinely. But alas, I'm not really happy with the way certain things are being handled.

It's still the case of having fingers crossed that the WIP state will end up producing some changes for the better in those respects.

EXCELLENT! Thanks , Kinley!
I'm the just the messenger my dude. The devs and the people who asked the questions are the real heroes here!

It's good that they responded (especially on my questions ;) ), nice work Kinely. But alas, I'm not really happy with the way certain things are being handled.

It's still the case of having fingers crossed that the WIP state will end up producing some changes for the better in those respects.
As you mentioned, everything is very much WIP, so just keep the conversation going and we'll see what sticks. That's why we're all here anyways, to engage in intelligent conversation while having fun and sharing our passion for Cyberpunk. I know for a fact MANY of the devs visit the forums religiously, even if you might not see them engage, they are out there, reading and absorbing all of our feedback.

As you mentioned, everything is very much WIP, so just keep the conversation going and we'll see what sticks. That's why we're all here anyways, to engage in intelligent conversation while having fun and sharing our passion for Cyberpunk. I know for a fact MANY of the devs visit the forums religiously, even if you might not see them engage, they are out there, reading and absorbing all of our feedback.

Yeah, I've been bringing my concerns and "solutions" (for what ever they're worth) up pretty consistently along the threads out there.

Last edited:
Thanks Kinley. My impression so far is the assets for this game are far ahead in development than the gameplay mechanics are.

And that's about it! Huge thanks to @Benzenzimmern and @KyleRowley for being ever so patient and putting up with me. Make sure to give these guys, and the entire team really, huge props!
Hot damn. Great interview, and you asked some tougher questions that other interviewers didn't ask. Thank you! I'm actually kinda relieved to hear that a lot of this stuff is still up in the air - hopefully community input can drive some decisions (not all, of course; these guys have been at it for far longer than... welll.... virtually all of us).

Can I ask a question? What about body types? Are we locked to the same anorexic body preset for female Vi or we can change it ingame?

I'm not sure if I'm perhaps missing a joke here, but at the risk of being that guy (who am I kidding, I always am), it's actually just "V".
*smokebombs out*
It was just a joke. I see a lot of news outlets mistakenly say "Vie" so I'm poking fun at them. :)

Thanks.

I'm still confused on relation between skills and perks ( they do not mention them here).

Is it like Skyrim, where they are part of same system: you level up a skill by use and based on certain skill level, you can spend XP to unlock a perk related to it. ( Only in this case, skill level more affects gameplay, than simply gating perks)

Or like New Vegas: where they are levelled independently from one another, with stats and skills acting as prerequisites?

It was also mentioned there are street cred perks, so you gain certain bonuses( possibly penalties at the same time), for doing jobs for a certain faction ( like merchant prices better in district ith DeShawn's influence, but worse in another)

Is it like Skyrim, where they are part of same system: you level up a skill by use and based on certain skill level, you can spend XP to unlock a perk related to it.
The clearest explanation I've seen is that "skills" level up as you use them while "perks" have points invested in them, which you get from increasing traditional XP and/or street cred. So they are separate systems.

Thank you for providing us with this info. Shed some light on parts of the gameplay I'm somewhat worried about.

The clearest explanation I've seen is that "skills" level up as you use them while "perks" have points invested in them, which you get from increasing traditional XP and/or street cred. So they are separate systems.
Traditionally "skills" are something you can improve, "perks" are one-time or one-trick-pony bonuses/modifiers to a skill.

The way the gameing industry as a whole has used one to mean the other creates confusion, probably on purpose.
Marketing baby, marketing !

Traditionally "skills" are something you can improve, "perks" are one-time or one-trick-pony bonuses/modifiers to a skill.

The way the gameing industry as a whole has used one to mean the other creates confusion, probably on purpose.
Marketing baby, marketing !
Fortunately, I was right all along and they are indeed separate (not-so-humble brag).

At least CDPR isn't following that stupid marketing trend.

That's kind of what I'm hoping for.

I know they can't give us straightforward answer "It will have x number of skills", but I'd really like a clear, straightforward answer to it's structure: this is something they probably decided years ago.

Also, can we expect non combat/direct gameplay skills? Like social skills ( persuasion, intimidation, etc), knowledge skills ( giving extra xp, lore in dialogue, etc), subterfuge or skills that cover different environment interaction?

By this interview, it seems that skills, instead of perks, are part of this fluid class system: solo, netrunner and techie.

But plenty of skills fall outside any of these three roles...Social ( persuasion, intimidation, etc), knowledge ( giving extra xp, lore in dialogue, etc), subterfuge ( Wardrobe and style, stealth, etc) or skills that cover different environment interaction

Like with inspection: unless I'm wrong, it's confirmed as ingame skill. But it's not really related to any of the three "core" roles.

The clearest explanation I've seen is that "skills" level up as you use them

This bit also sounds weird considering that you can only use certain skills (like engineering and hacking) if you find objects that aren't gated out of your reach (by one point or more).

So either the progression is so linear that you must go through the story to advance (as said in Kinley's interview, they force progression through ripperdocs so they know where you are at progrssionwise), or you are hard pressed to seek out all the objects that aren't gated out of your reach by yourself if you wish any kind of progression.

That doesn't sound very free or intuitive. I don't really get it.

My #1 question is if there is non-FPS combat is it character stat/skill based or just some sort of auto-aim/hit system?
At the risk of quoting myself, we have our answer.
FPS or auto-aim/hit, character skills need not apply.

Yeah, that seems out of the menu right now.

They said that skills affect weapon handling (how? no mention) and there are different stats to the weapons themselves (accuracy and recoil included), but I didn't see anything of the sort in action in the demo. So either it's so neglicable (at this point) that the numbers are there merely for show (as I've feared) or they tuned it all out from the presentation. No idea which.

Yeah, that seems out of the menu right now.

They said that skills affect weapon handling (how? no mention) and there are different stats to the weapons themselves (accuracy and recoil included), but I didn't see anything of the sort in action in the demo. So either it's so neglicable (at this point) that the numbers are there merely for show (as I've feared) or they tuned it all out from the presentation. No idea which.
If you look closely at the weapons when they're examined they have inherent accuracy, rate-of-fire, and bullet spread ratings. Some like 99% of shooters you'll have to decide if you want to go for high damage, and trust to luck that these factors don't significantly hinder you, or go for high accuracy and low spread and rely on your personal skill as a player.

Character stats and skills will probably gate what weapons you're permitted to use not how well you use them. Again, standard shooter fare.

Top Bottom