Camera Stutter Master Thread - Share your info

+
Want some comedy relief? Check this thread out here (link below), starts at post #853, there's some people there actually trying to defend the judder when camera panning, unbelievable lol.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1048842&page=18

That gave me a good laugh. Do some people expect everyone to play the game at rapid, max-speed camera movement at all times? In the first 30 seconds of playing i noticed camera stutter, it's patently obvious; especially to someone like me who loves looking at my surroundings slowly sometimes for more detail and atmosphere. Damn.

Are you sure it's fullscreen?, some people are reporting that switching from borderless to fullscreen isn't always working. If not then yer... that's a bit odd to say the least, you shouldn't be getting any screen tearing with v-sync enabled, unless you have adaptive enabled by mistake or something.

hmm weird how did that end up to be a default setting? (reinstalled drivers)

---------- Updated at 09:58 PM ----------

That gave me a good laugh. Do some people expect everyone to play the game at rapid, max-speed camera movement at all times? In the first 30 seconds of playing i noticed camera stutter, it's patently obvious; especially to someone like me who loves looking at my surroundings slowly sometimes for more detail and atmosphere. Damn.

" When moving incredibly slowly ' XD,when applying slowly it's not going to be much of an annoyance.
Kind of defeats the point of playing in 60 fps XD.

I've received a follow-up to my support ticket this afternoon. They are currently investigating the issue and have forwarded the data to the developers.

Regarding that neogaf thread, I actually feel for that guy - I believe parts of what he was saying were well-intentioned but misunderstood.

When saying that the person "created the stutter for the video" I think he meant that he simply showed when the stutter is at its worst and most noticeable, not that he made the stutter somehow to malign the game. He also mentions that it created a false impression of frame rate issues but is more likely a control issue.

Of course, his comments about "normal" gameplay and very slow panning speeds kinda make it hard to give him the benefit of the doubt... ;)

And we are approaching the sixth day of people posting about this without an official response.

Now, I know you posted about support telling you it's being investigated, but so did I a few pages back, and people cannot go through 140+ posts to find their little nuggets of info or can jump to a specific post from the menu... unless it was an official RED post.

I don't want people to get even more angry at disappointed in or frustrated with CD Red, so

PLEASE POST SOMETHING, REDS. PLEASE!

Last edited:
Regarding that neogaf thread, I actually feel for that guy - I believe parts of what he was saying were well-intentioned but misunderstood.

When saying that the person "created the stutter for the video" I think he meant that he simply showed when the stutter is at its worst and most noticeable, not that he made the stutter somehow to malign the game. He also mentions that it created a false impression of frame rate issues but is more likely a control issue.

Of course, his comments about "normal" gameplay and very slow panning speeds kinda make it hard to give him the benefit of the doubt... ;)

And we are approaching the sixth day of people posting about this without an official response.

Now, I know you posted about support telling you it's being investigated, but so did I a few pages back, and people cannot go through 140+ posts to find their little nuggets of info or can jump to a specific post from the menu... unless it was an official RED post.

I don't want people to get even more angry at disappointed in or frustrated with CD Red, so

PLEASE POST SOMETHING, REDS. PLEASE!

Didn't they acknowledge it on Twitter?.If it's something widespread and they're looking into it there's little use of them confirming it here.I mean it's not like they're hiding it,then Twitter is the worst place to do so.

The twitter post was... let's say, very light on specifics. Someone asked:
"There are performance and Stutter issues. Are you looking into those?"
Answer:
"Yes."

But sure, one of the QA team responded to me saying they are "investigating and it will be fixed in future updates", but that still doesn't carry the same weight.

People see RED responding to various issues, saying : "We know, we fixed it, thanks." But not here.

That twitter answer is the only public "acknowledgement" of the stuttering issue.
But something official is what people'd like to hear. Personally, I hope they do for the sake of the community. If they came on here and said they are working on it and will fix it soon, some or most people considering a refund due to this issue may give them a little more time.

I honestly believe that Wild Hunt is a great game, and as much as I want to experience it without the stutter, I want everyone else to be able to experience it as well.
But the current situation makes that hard to impossible, and is undeniably frustrating for many people, so a little official reassurance would go a long way, I think...

The twitter post was... let's say, very light on specifics. Someone asked:
"There are performance and Stutter issues. Are you looking into those?"
Answer:
"Yes."

But sure, one of the QA team responded to me saying they are "investigating and it will be fixed in future updates", but that still doesn't carry the same weight.

People see RED responding to various issues, saying : "We know, we fixed it, thanks." But not here.

That twitter answer is the only public "acknowledgement" of the stuttering issue.
But something official is what people'd like to hear. Personally, I hope they do for the sake of the community. If they came on here and said they are working on it and will fix it soon, some or most people considering a refund due to this issue may give them a little more time.

I honestly believe that Wild Hunt is a great game, and as much as I want to experience it without the stutter, I want everyone else to be able to experience it as well.
But the current situation makes that hard to impossible, and is undeniably frustrating for many people, so a little official reassurance would go a long way, I think...

There's a lot of people posting who don't get a direct answer,do not despair yet.all i know is i'm done searching for a fix myself.

The problem is, not enough people seem to be complaining about it, when you think how many people out there own a copy by now. This thread is approaching 5k in views yet only has 120 posts.

This thread has been on the main Tech Support page 4 days going now, it has more replies, and views than anything new coming up. It matters that it's being seen, and surely been seen by someone at Red yet we are met with a wall of silence as someone else on here said.

I really like Red, but a little respect has been lost, myself and others didn't buy this game just to have it sit on our desks to be admired.

So from what I've gathered around people discussing it, and my own playing, the game itself doesn't seem to have any actual frame time/ frame pacing issues.
At least on PC. Can't speak for some of the stuttering issues on consoles if there are any, but the following three are present on all systems as it's an issue separate from performance.
So far the 3 problems that I know of that relate to the perception of stutter;

1. The horse walk animations loop is unclean. Where the animation stops and starts again isn't entirely smooth, and hence causes the camera to jump ever so slightly, making it look no different from frame stutter. If you check frame times you'll notice there are no drops.

2. The stutter from moving the camera very slowly with a controller seems to stem from the fact the game has improper deadzones set for the analog sticks within the game. Hence you get the issue of analog stick input "stuttering" when you're moving slowly, as you're teetering in and out of that deadzone edge.
If you have an exceptionally steady hand/thumb etc. to keep the sticks in the same spot, you can get the camera moving very smoothly during those slow pans, and you'll find just how big the deadzones are set.

3. This one is the most subtle, so I left it last. But just like the issue with the horses walk animation loop, there seems to be a similar, but less noticeable issue with Geralt's jogging animation loop as well. (Not to be confused with the sprint one, which is fine!)
It resets improperly just like the horse one, except not with a jump, but more of a small bump. This one is so subtle I fear most others haven't noticed it, and hence CDPR wouldn't fix this one since it's not a well established issue like the other ones.

Both the horse walk and Geralt's jogging issue seems more to do with how the player camera is locked in with the character animations, rather than it being an issue of the animations.

Hopefully this stuff gets resolved in the coming updates!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky5I5EZB9aA

made this video a few days ago. happens when walking speed on a horse. also happens when you start walking on foot. you have to wait for him to finish his stopping stance (going from walking to stand) once that happens when you start to move. he looks like hes trying to gain momentum, it will stutter. i have not made a video about this yet but i plan on doing so tomorrow. for now i just have the stutter that happens while on the horse.

my computer is 5820K @ 4.3ghz
16gb @2666mhz
evga 980 classified
windows 8.1 pro 64 bit

Yes man I have the same issue (PS4). The horse stuttering on the medium walking speed bugs the hell out of me. Although I love the horse animation and sound in this game and also love horse riding in games in general (Red Dead Redemption is one of my favorite games owing to this) the current state in the game makes me not want to ride Roach at all. The stuttering also appears at the second lowest possible horse speed. If you touch the left analog stick slightly, Roach will almost move in slow motion - no stuttering. If you touch the stick just a little bit harder, roach will walk slowly (stuttering begins) and when pushing the analog stick completely forward (without pressing X of course) the stuttering reaches its maximum. Almost impossible to enjoy the view, causing headache.

Whe you press X and start to gallop though, the stuttering disappears. Likewise when double tapping X to cause Roach engaging full speed.

To sum it up:

Roach has 5 different speed Levels. The stuttering begins at the second level and is worse on third level. The first, fourth and fifth speed levels show no signs of stuttering.

As the third speed level is what players use the most though, this issue is an atmosphere killer!

Last edited:
Yes man I have the same issue (PS4). The horse stuttering on the medium walking speed bugs the hell out of me. Although I love the horse animation and sound in this game and also love horse riding in games in general (Red Dead Redemption is one of my favorite games owing to this) the current state in the game makes me not want to ride Roach at all. The stuttering also appears at the second lowest possible horse speed. If you touch the left analog stick slightly, Roach will almost move in slow motion - no stuttering. If you touch the stick just a little bit harder, roach will walk slowly (stuttering begins) and when pushing the analog stick completely forward (without pressing X of course) the stuttering reaches its maximum. Almost impossible to enjoy the view, causing headache.

Whe you press X and start to gallop though, the stuttering disappears. Likewise when double tapping X to cause Roach engaging full speed.

To sum it up:

Roach has 5 different speed Levels. The stuttering begins at the second level and is worse on third level. The first, fourth and fifth speed levels show no signs of stuttering.

As the third speed level is what players use the most though, this issue is an atmosphere killer!

Do you notice this stutter when you are walking, jogging, or sprinting when controlling Geralt? I have the Xbox version, every animation gives of this "stutter" effect.

Last edited:
So from what I've gathered around people discussing it, and my own playing, the game itself doesn't seem to have any actual frame time/ frame pacing issues.
At least on PC. Can't speak for some of the stuttering issues on consoles if there are any, but the following three are present on all systems as it's an issue separate from performance.
So far the 3 problems that I know of that relate to the perception of stutter;

1. The horse walk animations loop is unclean. Where the animation stops and starts again isn't entirely smooth, and hence causes the camera to jump ever so slightly, making it look no different from frame stutter. If you check frame times you'll notice there are no drops.

2. The stutter from moving the camera very slowly with a controller seems to stem from the fact the game has improper deadzones set for the analog sticks within the game. Hence you get the issue of analog stick input "stuttering" when you're moving slowly, as you're teetering in and out of that deadzone edge.
If you have an exceptionally steady hand/thumb etc. to keep the sticks in the same spot, you can get the camera moving very smoothly during those slow pans, and you'll find just how big the deadzones are set.

3. This one is the most subtle, so I left it last. But just like the issue with the horses walk animation loop, there seems to be a similar, but less noticeable issue with Geralt's jogging animation loop as well. (Not to be confused with the sprint one, which is fine!)
It resets improperly just like the horse one, except not with a jump, but more of a small bump. This one is so subtle I fear most others haven't noticed it, and hence CDPR wouldn't fix this one since it's not a well established issue like the other ones.

Both the horse walk and Geralt's jogging issue seems more to do with how the player camera is locked in with the character animations, rather than it being an issue of the animations.

Hopefully this stuff gets resolved in the coming updates!

I fully agree with you in all points! I have noticed the issue with Geralt's jogging animation as well!

---------- Updated at 07:05 AM ----------

Do you notice this stutter when you are walking, jogging, or sprinting when controlling Geralt? I have the Xbox version, every animation gives of this "stutter" effect.

I experienced a subtle stuttering when jogging with Geralt (without horse). But it isn't as far as annoying as the stuttering with Roach. When mounting the horse and walking at mid speed, the animation stuttering is unbearable!

Top Bottom