Camera Stutter Master Thread - Share your info

+
well that weird because i have a cheap 60hz tv and console games play at 30 and many of them are smooth as silk and im very sensitive to any stutter, this is the only one with this problem
30 fps is smooth at 60Hz because each frame is displayed for 2 cycles. It wouldn't be smooth at a refresh rate that 30 doesn't devide neatly into. Then you'd get some frames up for longer than others and perceived judder.

That's what's happening with the Xbox version. On top of the other judders this thread is concerned with.

Last edited:
You can blame them for not fixing that engine though.i mean me not hitting certain frame rates i can live with,this however i have never experienced before.
I did. In The Witcher 2. Had to resort to d3d9.dll hacks to get rid of it.

Witcher 2 PC was fine when I got round to it. Doom 3 had a gametic stutter twice a second. PC Skyrim had a similar hiccough not performance related. Can't think of many others.

To be perfectly clear-

This camera stutter/judder issue has NOTHING to do with stable frame rates or vsync.

I've tried everything to get rid of it- Locking the framerate to 30 and 60 both internally and externally (DXTory, Riva Tuner, etc). I have an absolutely rock solid 30 or 60 FPS, and the camera judder is still there. I've tried the "render ahead 1 frame" nvidia control panel thing, I've tried dozens of other fixes. Nothing gets rid of it.

To be perfectly clear-

This camera stutter/judder issue has NOTHING to do with stable frame rates or vsync.

I've tried everything to get rid of it- Locking the framerate to 30 and 60 both internally and externally (DXTory, Riva Tuner, etc). I have an absolutely rock solid 30 or 60 FPS, and the camera judder is still there. I've tried the "render ahead 1 frame" nvidia control panel thing, I've tried dozens of other fixes. Nothing gets rid of it.

Yes Agree same tests done here .....So if anybody that as just joined i would advise reading previous posts as this is not a system/ driver issue re the horse stutters

It would also help to disable the "auto center" for the camera when trotting/walking on horseback. Fighting the auto center camera and the stutter while trying to look around while walking on horseback is just agonizing. just make it match the on foot controls, where we can rotate the camera freely when walking, but then auto center kicks in when geralt jogs or runs (as this is exactly when it is needed). hope these changes make it into the next patch, as I do a lot of looking around and exploring on horseback...

I've tried the "render ahead 1 frame" nvidia control panel thing, I've tried dozens of other fixes. Nothing gets rid of it.
Last time I checked, it didn't work as expected. I might have been doing something wrong but setting "render frames ahead" to 1 should effectively enforce double buffering. It didn't seem to be the case (when I replayed TW2 days ago).

But then again I may have missed something. The only way I found to mitigate stutter on TW2 was to use a hacked d3d9.dll and make it enforce double buffering and a 60 fps limit. This hack might have faked the frame render time though. I mean if the engine is *that* badly coded, it might have had an impact and this would explain some of the weird stuff I was getting.

Still I'm not sure you can really enforce double buffer with that driver setting. Or there is still some weird stuff done by the game engine. Who knows.

I think now would be a good time for a progress update from RED (pretty please :)). No hard deadline or anything, just a "next week" or "week after next" estimate.

If you value customer feedback you have to reward it. The obvious reward would be fixing the problem, but if you can't do that right now you can at least offer reassurance and a loose timeline.

Last time I checked, it didn't work as expected. I might have been doing something wrong but setting "render frames ahead" to 1 should effectively enforce double buffering. It didn't seem to be the case (when I replayed TW2 days ago).

But then again I may have missed something. The only way I found to mitigate stutter on TW2 was to use a hacked d3d9.dll and make it enforce double buffering and a 60 fps limit. This hack might have faked the frame render time though. I mean if the engine is *that* badly coded, it might have had an impact and this would explain some of the weird stuff I was getting.

Still I'm not sure you can really enforce double buffer with that driver setting. Or there is still some weird stuff done by the game engine. Who knows.

That's exactly the same thing as what d3doverrider does,it's a fix for not working game code and DirectX.It's basically an applied layer of software that makes sure it communicates with the game's engine.The problem is...there's no X64 version of it.(That has 64bit game support)

Although i'm pretty sure even that wouldn't fix all stutter related issues,and i have played Witcher 2 without that hack and believe me it's not the same thing.

Last edited:
I think now would be a good time for a progress update from RED (pretty please :)). No hard deadline or anything, just a "next week" or "week after next" estimate.

If you value customer feedback you have to reward it. The obvious reward would be fixing the problem, but if you can't do that right now you can at least offer reassurance and a loose timeline.

+1

Although i'm pretty sure even that wouldn't fix all stutter related issues,and i have played Witcher 2 without that hack and believe me it's not the same thing.
It was already pretty bad in TW2. So if it's worse in TW3, then lol is the only word that comes to mind.

Last edited:
I still think that a lot of people really might not be affected by the camera stutter. Or play in a way that makes the issue seem minor.

In the meantime, I am still waiting to play the game. And I am slowly starting to run out of patience.

And I don't want to sound gloomy, but the fact they haven't announced a fix for this incoming in 1.05 does worry me immensely.

I also wished some news outlets would pick up on this and make their own inquiries as to how and why this issue made it into the release.

The longer this goes on, the more I fear it's a collateral damage thing. RED knew it would affect a certain percentage of people but had no idea why it happened, thus deeming it an "acceptable loss"...

I'm sorry, but the more I think about how something like that could make it past testing, the more frustated I get... :(

" While the game is pretty stable on most platforms " Sometimes i wonder if these people have the worst eyesight ever.

Maybe it's just a question of what you consider to be stability. The game is pretty "stable". I don't have any performance issues. All I see is camera stuttering when walking/trotting with roach. I consider the camera stutter I have to be a very, very, very....very annoying (but minor) bug. If I played the game a different way i.e. run everywhere, I wouldn't have any issues at all.

Well, I updated the First Post for newcomers.

And personally, I don't have the horse stutter. Unless I turn the camera. I have yet to see ANY stutter without turning the camera in my game. I only did some White Orchard Stuff, mind you, but if I could play the game without turning the camera (which I guess I could but won't) I'd be fine.

It would also help to disable the "auto center" for the camera when trotting/walking on horseback. Fighting the auto center camera and the stutter while trying to look around while walking on horseback is just agonizing. just make it match the on foot controls, where we can rotate the camera freely when walking, but then auto center kicks in when geralt jogs or runs (as this is exactly when it is needed). hope these changes make it into the next patch, as I do a lot of looking around and exploring on horseback...

I agree but they should give us an option to PERMANENTLY disable auto center so it doesn't kick in no matter if you walk/jog/run or ride a horse! This feature is driving me crazy! It is comparable to Red Dead Redemption. There you had auto center too while on horseback but you could disable it in the options. The game did benefit a lot from that option!

Btw: WHY DOES CDPR IGNORE THIS ISSUE??

People using the alalogue stick like it's a d-pad won't see it so much. The jitters are masked by blur or go away with a quick turn.

Could some controller smoothing fix it, like mouse smoothing of old. Game has no trouble turning without jitter as long as you don't touch the camera stick.

Last edited:
I still think that a lot of people really might not be affected by the camera stutter. Or play in a way that makes the issue seem minor.

In the meantime, I am still waiting to play the game. And I am slowly starting to run out of patience.

And I don't want to sound gloomy, but the fact they haven't announced a fix for this incoming in 1.05 does worry me immensely.

I also wished some news outlets would pick up on this and make their own inquiries as to how and why this issue made it into the release.

The longer this goes on, the more I fear it's a collateral damage thing. RED knew it would affect a certain percentage of people but had no idea why it happened, thus deeming it an "acceptable loss"...

I'm sorry, but the more I think about how something like that could make it past testing, the more frustated I get... :(

i could not agree more

Originally Posted by Master_Tactician
Maybe it's just a question of what you consider to be stability. The game is pretty "stable". I don't have any performance issues. All I see is camera stuttering when walking/trotting with roach. I consider the camera stutter I have to be a very, very, very....very annoying (but minor) bug. If I played the game a different way i.e. run everywhere, I wouldn't have any issues at all.
-------------
Yes its does sadden me that this passed the testers and worst of all reviewers we should not have to run around everywhere... the environment is too good for that .....

if this is not fixed in 1.05 then it is more than likely never will lets hope for the best but yes it is such a minor bug but i refuse to play it until fixed as yes completely annoying ......

Last edited:
Top Bottom