Camera Stutter Master Thread - Share your info

+
Yeah, after some more experimenting it seems the rules change depending on where you are. It's really very weird.
Scratch that, the camera judder is only there for decelerating horizontal pans on Xbox. Quick resume inexplicably introduced another stutter. Restarting the game fixed that.

Still weird.

Scratch that, the camera judder is only there for decelerating horizontal pans on Xbox. Quick resume inexplicably introduced another stutter. Restarting the game fixed that.

Still weird.

I know,it's really frustrating if you find a configuration that works for a while to enter a new area where the game basically gives you the finger.
Walking and running is tolerable i'm just going to forget about the horse.

It is, trust me.

https://youtu.be/BW7dArLU4PQ

And not only in combat. In free roam, the camera always floats above Geralt, resulting in a barely visible horizon. At night, you can't even see the moon without adjusting the camera. This makes the game kinda claustrophobic for me. It's a catastrophe for an open world game.

Please don't say it isn't. Perhaps you don't care as much as I do, but saying it isn't focused on the ground is just false.
Now that the game is playable (XB1 version here) there is definitely something awry with the camera. Stick movement, FOV, default placement, pretty much everything related to the camera management seems to have been poorly handled.

@danwarb So what if you keep a very slow panning speed, just slightly tilting the stick? That's where it's most noticeable on PS4, you almost immediately get stutters. And can you slowly accelerate without stutters as well?

@danwarb So what if you keep a very slow panning speed, just slightly tilting the stick? That's where it's most noticeable on PS4, you almost immediately get stutters. And can you slowly accelerate without stutters as well?

I talk about this specifically in my new thread that discusses my experience and ...possibilities. Only. Hopefully.

The stutters only show up when you ease off the stick on Xbox. You can accelerate and hold a turn at any speed without seeing them.

There's a smooth enough ramp up and steep steps down. Can't really avoid this in gameplay without stopping every turn dead.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/danwarb/video/2749197

Last edited:
Well... that IS weird... Maybe they fixed half the stutters on Xbox unintentionally with the FPS lock?

You know, how patching works these days, doing stuff by total accident? And the law of averages pretty much ensures that eventually a "happy" accident comes along... :D

---------- Updated at 03:42 AM ----------

There's a smooth enough ramp up and steep steps down. Can't really avoid this in gameplay without stopping every turn dead.

That looks really good. Except for the stutters at the end. I think there are a few microstutters at the very beginning of the turn (or maybe that was the internet) and a little hitch at 15 or 16 seconds...

But I would LOVE for my version to run anywhere close as smooth...

So... maybe the issues on PS4 are stemming from the badly implemented FPS lock, where once it goes below 30, it locks at 20 until it can maintain 30 again...

Anyway... This is really starting to annoy me majorly. The less clear the pattern becomes, the less likely it can be fixed or fixed easily.

Would be nice if mor X1 users could confirm that they only have half the stutter, now...

I recall I had similar experience in Far Cry 4(PC) before, stable FPS, Vsync on, but no matter how I tweak the settings, I can still see obvious stuttering, quite a few people have same issue back then, it's a minor issue but very annoying, fortunately, Ubi fixed it after a few patches, so I think it's definitely fixable.

Last edited:
I just read someone claiming on DualShockers.com that the camera jitters are "totally gone" (his words) on X1 with the 1.03 update. Sounds like hyperbole to me, however Danwarb's second video seems to show some partial improvement over the PC and PS4 versions. Isn't it strange that Red would implement such an important fix without mentioning it in the patch notes?

Xbox users, please chime in and report your experience!

Made a quick video where I pan the camera diagonally. You can clearly see that when the stuttering happens the camera keeps moving vertically. It's clear that it's not an fps issue. To get a better gander of the problem jump to 7secs in and press the gear icon on youtube and select 0.25 playback speed. This is on the PS4.

https://youtu.be/6SuvuYte9Jk

I just read someone claiming on DualShockers.com that the camera jitters are "totally gone" (his words) on X1 with the 1.03 update. Sounds like hyperbole to me, however Danwarb's second video seems to show some partial improvement over the PC and PS4 versions. Isn't it strange that Red would implement such an important fix without mentioning it in the patch notes?

Xbox users, please chime in and report your experience!
The overall, constant judder is gone. There is still stuttering here and there, but it looks like typical frame drops.

Yet the camera still gives a somewhat unpleasant feeling. I don't know the exact cause, but it looks like a combination of FOV, placement, and stick movement settings (dead zone, sensitivity, acceleration).

Edit : And maybe auto-centering/following too.

Edit 2 : This is especially true when using the spider sense.

Last edited:
The overall, constant judder is gone. There is still stuttering here and there, but it looks like typical frame drops.

Can you prove it with a video for example? If it's true , I cross my fingers for the next PS4 patch.

Reporting in on the Xbox version, 30fps cap helped a lot, the game is smooth and easy on the eyes. Camera stutter( Edit: panning left and right.) is there but not really too noticeable to me (Edit: Scratch that, it is noticeable, the camera seems to be not only stutter every so often but now does this weird "zig zag" stutter that moves the camera left and right really fast.), horse trot stutter is still present.

Last edited:
Man... this is worse than the 3D scope on Sniper Elite 3.

What is it with me and games that I like always shipping with some camera issue that stops me from being able to play...

It's like I'm cursed or something...

So... I guess... uhm... Sorry, everybody else that is being affected by my cursedness?

Man... this is worse than the 3D scope on Sniper Elite 3.

What is it with me and games that I like always shipping with some camera issue that stops me from being able to play...

It's like I'm cursed or something...

So... I guess... uhm... Sorry, everybody else that is being affected by my cursedness?

I doubt the issue will be gone when the FR is locked,i mean it's not when i lock it.There seems to be a problem that affects all of us.
So this should be something that has a native code flaw and not so much external factors.

We all went down purgatory lol.

Made a quick video where I pan the camera diagonally. You can clearly see that when the stuttering happens the camera keeps moving vertically. It's clear that it's not an fps issue. To get a better gander of the problem jump to 7secs in and press the gear icon on youtube and select 0.25 playback speed. This is on the PS4.

https://youtu.be/6SuvuYte9Jk

Yep that is really bad .....It is defiantly engine code ect not a system issue....and we all have it in some form or another across all platforms
on the pc its not as bad for me but its still there ...its the horse stutter that is bugging me most ...i am sticking by my guns and not playing until fixed

it amazes me people put up with it ....we should not have too otherwise this will be the way for the rest of developers to follow (but it seems where allready there with ACU and FC4 ect) ....Seems like where just a minority with sensitive eyes brains .....Why should we spending are hard earned money for sub par motion ...I have games over 15 years old that have better motion than this ...yes may not be as pretty or demanding but still this is not a system issue so should not be a problem ....

Last edited:
I'm with you guys, have the same problem since 1.03 or 1.04 I don't know exactly when, because I'm not playing much now.
My frame rate is very comfortable, but the game is stuttering when I move my mouse somehow: when I walk/run/ride it goes on stuttering. Hope it would be fixed veyr soon. Thanks the author of the topic for having created it.

I'm with you guys, have the same problem since 1.03 or 1.04 I don't know exactly when, because I'm not playing much now.
My frame rate is very comfortable, but the game is stuttering when I move my mouse somehow: when I walk/run/ride it goes on stuttering. Hope it would be fixed veyr soon. Thanks the author of the topic for having created it.

Welcome aboard the stutter wagon :) (Well the wagon is fine its the horse that is the problem)

Last edited:
Top Bottom