Can Geralt swim?

+
Can Geralt swim?

** THIS IS NOT A REQUEST TO HAVE SWIMMING IMPLEMENTED **

I noticed that in some panoramic screenshots and in certain scenes of the trailer, there are large open bodies of water within a landmass (e.g., rivers, lakes).

In Witcher 2, the game was linear, so invisible walls as a boundary were understandable. Witcher 3 on the other hand is an open world game (with various regions, but still open world nonetheless), and while invisible walls on the edges of the map wouldn't be unexpected (i.e., I don't expect to be able to swim to Skellige), I imagine it might be quite jarring if there's an invisible wall between a lake.

Any idea how this is going to be handled?

Hm... i think there was a interview where they said that Geralt is able to swim.
And that this depends on his stamina... or so.... unfortunatly i forgot which interview it was... i am sorry.

Interesting.

So I am sort of curious as to how it'll work if you dismount Roach and walk (or swim) a certain distance... How are you going to get back on the horse?

I assume you get not back on Roach until you go back to the Location where you left your Horse.
Besides that... this is dangerous because Thiefs could be around ;) so ... you leave Roach and swim (over a river) or you search a location
where you can cross with your Horse ;) or swim through.

Swim should be the last option, you should first search a boat or something that float, because Geralt do not is a fucking trunk, he will be out of stamina and die

Swim should be the last option, you should first search a boat or something that float, because Geralt do not is a fucking trunk, he will be out of stamina and die

Off topic, but how is it that the forum-change did not affect your username? My display name was 2 words, and then it merged into one, whereas yours isn't GeraltandCiri.

Last edited:
I assume you get not back on Roach until you go back to the Location where you left your Horse.
Besides that... this is dangerous because Thiefs could be around ;) so ... you leave Roach and swim (over a river) or you search a location
where you can cross with your Horse ;) or swim through.

Maybe Roach appears whenever you use a fast-travel-point similar to horses in another game. I think it was assassins creed 3. Or Geralt has no "true" horse and he has to catch a new horse if he need one. I think it was mentioned that geralt calls every one of his horses "roach" and because of that it only seems so that roach is his personal horse-companion.

Thank CDPR they made him swim, that's what missed in GTA Vice City and I was disappointed every time I was wasted because of this.

I hope the horse can swim.

It will feel very out of place if Geralt can Swim, take boats, etc but his horse can't (Horses can naturally swim).

Have the boat be for longer distance travel and the fastest way across water but Geralt/his horse great for getting across small creeks/rivers and ponds or such.

Last edited:
From what I've gathered from various interviews, Geralt will be able to swim but the distance is determined by his stamina. His stamina will also be affected by the temperature of the water; he will not be able to endure long periods of time in the icy waters surrounding the Skellige Islands for example. As for his horse being able to swim, that remains unconfirmed and a mystery.

:huh:

From what I've gathered from various interviews, Geralt will be able to swim but the distance is determined by his stamina. His stamina will also be affected by the temperature of the water; he will not be able to endure long periods of time in the icy waters surrounding the Skellige Islands for example. As for his horse being able to swim, that remains unconfirmed and a mystery.

:huh:

I don't see why Roach shouldn't be able to swim, other than whether it makes the cut for implementation. Horses are powerful swimmers.

http://www.independent.com/news/2012/may/16/horse-rescued-santa-barbara-channel/
An Arabian called "William" got spooked, ran into the water, and made it two miles out to sea before a rescue boat caught up with him. "Forced to think creatively since no area officials had ever rescued a horse from the ocean, Kelly and the team removed the horse’s saddle, attached a flotation device, then lashed him to the side of their boat."

Last edited:
Top Bottom