Can I have my sex without lung cancer please? [possible spoiler for one romance scene]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is pure gold.

What we need is a new series of quests in which we help Judy quit smoking, proper RPG style:

a) You can be nice to her and tell her how she's ruining her health and all that jazz and encourage her to stay strong and not use.
b) You can offer to take her to a psychotherapy treatment using psychedelics that will allow her to overcome the addiction (very effective IRL according to recent studies).
c) You can be a straight up dick and tell her she smells and must quit if she expects to see you again. And do her laundry while she's at it.
d) You can point out that it makes no sense people in 2077 smoke disgusting analog cigarettes and encourage her to switch to something more civilised.
e) (secret ending/plot twist) Fail and buy her a crate of cigarettes and become a smoker yourself.

What we need is a new series of quests in which we help Judy quit smoking, proper RPG style:

a) You can be nice to her and tell her how she's ruining her health and all that jazz and encourage her to stay strong and not use.
b) You can offer to take her to a psychotherapy treatment using psychedelics that will allow her to overcome the addiction (very effective IRL according to recent studies).
c) You can be a straight up dick and tell her she smells and must quit if she expects to see you again. And do her laundry while she's at it.
d) You can point out that it makes no sense people in 2077 smoke disgusting analog cigarettes and encourage her to switch to something more civilised.
e) (secret ending/plot twist) Fail and buy her a crate of cigarettes and become a smoker yourself.
10/10 idea. You should be in charge of next dlc

Or f) tell her just quit, it is that simple, it just takes a strong mind and not being a bitch. You can elaborate by telling that your grandpa smoked for 40 years and one day just quit and never smoked again. It always works.

V breaths in the polluted air of Nightcity every day, has various enchantments, including lungs and has Johnny's years of smoking experience. V coughing or not is trivial. Imo. Or her forced smoking also. I mean really, 1 smoke for a piece of Judy. Not a bad deal and something many ppl are willing to make. At least I would, tho I'm a smoker myself so.. :shrug:
I used to smoke for over 8 years, and when I quit for a year, the first few cigs were horrible. There is no arguement there. The first few inhales are always horrible and nothing enjoyable about it.
And if you chose to refuse smoking previously, I think a little cough and "oh fuck" comment could have been easily added for immersion. Could even be the exact same as when the relic malfunctions if we wanna get lazy. Indiciating that we are giving in to Jhonny's habits.
But it is really not something that I care too much about. Just figured I throw in my two cents.

Or f) tell her just quit, it is that simple, it just takes a strong mind and not being a bitch. You can elaborate by telling that your grandpa smoked for 40 years and one day just quit and never smoked again. It always works.

Yep, it doesn't hurt to have a boomer option. The girl should know how tough it was back in the day, and grandpa still managed to quit.

10/10 idea. You should be in charge of next dlc
Keep em coming hard.
Post automatically merged:

...ok Karen. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I know that's probably a troll, but it really is funny what insignificant stuff some people find to criticize this game for, when, say, virtual smoking is hardly the WORST thing that is wrong with it, or is "forced on V"... it's like complaining about the color of the door handles on a burning car. ;)
Exactly.

Just:

OK
Karen

This is going off topic quite fast, but oh well.

I would argue that even Skyrim is not free from being main-character centered rpg. True, the game did not give you a name to roll with, but you are a dragonborn and shit gets only done when the Dragonborn steps in. People remember you as one, call you one and rarely really care what all else you have done. You are Dragonborn.

But yes, marketing was really over its head, you are right.

Still, my point is that what rpg videogame people refer to when they compare CP2077 and its rpg elements? Only game I can think of that has almost complete freedom over your character and its decisions is Sims.

True rpg experience can only be found from tabletop rpgs and those elements are, so far, quite impossible to fully implement into a videogame.

I don't think it is that hard for a game to support role-playing (or at least what I understand from it). Even having a book character such as Geralt as the playable character can be handled as long as you give players some breathing room. Consider the case in the original post: V smoking. If when Judy offered the cigarette, player were presented with a choice to accept or refuse, new scenes would have to be created. But the presented choices can also be:
1. [Accept]
2. [Accept unwillingly]
and no additional scenes have to be used.
Even this much would make that scene more role-playing friendly. I am not saying that this should have been done. This is just an example to support the idea that supporting role-playing is not necessarily difficult or too costly in terms of development time.

Also, as I already mentioned, I like it that this game gives the player the option to choose whether or not V drinks alcohol, or believes in a god. Sometimes you have the option to let the timer run and say nothing, which is great if you prefer to roleplay the silent type. Someone who replied to the original post reminded me that we can also refuse to smoke when Johnny "begs" us for one last cigarette at the beginning. In general I like how they approach diologue options, even though sometimes I cannot find the thing my V would say among the options. That is OK. But I hope this "forced smoking" scene is a blunder, and not a sign of what we will see from them in the future.

---

Now lets hear how the smokers defend this poor "forced smoking" scene instead of admitting to themselves that they were weak and the tobacco companies used their weakness to make them believe that smoking is a natural part of sexuality.

I don't think it is that hard for a game to support role-playing (or at least what I understand from it). Even having a book character such as Geralt as the playable character can be handled as long as you give players some breathing room. Consider the case in the original post: V smoking. If when Judy offered the cigarette, player were presented with a choice to accept or refuse, new scenes would have to be created. But the presented choices can also be:
1. [Accept]
2. [Accept unwillingly]
and no additional scenes have to be used.
Even this much would make that scene more role-playing friendly. I am not saying that this should have been done. This is just an example to support the idea that supporting role-playing is not necessarily difficult or too costly in terms of development time.

Also, as I already mentioned, I like it that this game gives the player the option to choose whether or not V drinks alcohol, or believes in a god. Sometimes you have the option to let the timer run and say nothing, which is great if you prefer to roleplay the silent type. Someone who replied to the original post reminded me that we can also refuse to smoke when Johnny "begs" us for one last cigarette at the beginning. In general I like how they approach diologue options, even though sometimes I cannot find the thing my V would say among the options. That is OK. But I hope this "forced smoking" scene is a blunder, and not a sign of what we will see from them in the future.

---

Now lets hear how the smokers defend this poor "forced smoking" scene instead of admitting to themselves that they were weak and the tobacco companies used their weakness to make them believe that smoking is a natural part of sexuality.

Aye, you can add choices in videogames to get the rpg feeling, you can get sort of limited freedom in your actions or how to approach different situations. But thats the thing, there is always a limit, unlike in tabletop rpgs, where gm has the ultimate say in matters and how things unfold. It is this complete freedom that is hard to bring into a videogame. People can code and animate only so many things, and even simple decissions in videogames require hours of work, often from many people. What you are asking is someone, or more like a group of someones dedicates their life to bring you seemingly unlimited options for a vidrogame. And even that would have limits.
You see how that is not going to work?

True rpg in a videogame format would require an A.I that oversees everything and generates fitting options. We are not there yet.

And you wanted to hear an opinion from a smoker? Its whatever, it does not have anything more to do with sexuality than.. lets say glasses. Some people find them hot, some are disgusted.. most have no real opinion. It would have been cool to V have the option, but then again, its whatever. Shit, I dont do drugs and barely any alcohol, but if the love of my life did offer me a drink or joint, I could say yes, depending on the mood and the way it is offered. Weakness of the moment, as they say.
And in the game you are often forced to kill, to steal, to sometimes do very shady things. Smoking seems rather tame compared to that, but still one forced cigarette that was offered by V's love is a big no. Sounds twisted to me.

Especially when smoking is not seen as bad in 2077, as it is now. People don't give a fuck. People do drugs, shootouts, organ thefts.. all sorts of shit daily. V, for some reason can be against it, but as I said, even the strongest convictions sometimes fail. Humans are weak and greedy, that is the base teaching of cyberpunk.

It could be taken as lession; In cyberpunk everyone are weak, greedy and cruel and things never are truly in your control. Thats the real Cyberpunk.

Hello,

I make this post to criticize inclusion of smoking (by V) in romance scene with Judy. I do not smoke. I may role-play a killer but I will not role-play a smoker, because I see smokers as weak people who are fooled by advertisements, corpo lies. Weak people who cannot resist peer pressure. As I was having girl-on-girl action with Judy, I suddenly found myself smoking ?! Please don't force these kinds of things on player characters. I like it that you give the option to refuse alcohol and religion in dialogue options. I will regard this smoking thing as a blunder. Please do not repeat.

I had to skip sex with her. Sorry Judy, it is either cigar or me.

(I know you can purchase artificial lungs. Go ahead and smoke... That corpo will first sell you the cigar, and then the lungs.)

No no, you misunderstand. You see smoking in 2077 is actually a good thing. Instead of carcinogens the tobacco is filled with essential oils which provide cellular revitalization. You can also tell that in this scene the particular brand being used contains an additive which stimulates the neural pathways in such a way that it increases one's respect for gender equality.

I can't believe you would say these things are bad. For Christ's sake it's 2077 you troglodyte!

No no, you misunderstand. You see smoking in 2077 is actually a good thing. Instead of carcinogens the tobacco is filled with essential oils which provide cellular revitalization. You can also tell that in this scene the particular brand being used contains an additive which stimulates the neural pathways in such a way that it increases one's respect for gender equality.

I can't believe you would say these things are bad. For Christ's sake it's 2077 you troglodyte!
I love this post

That, V even has the option to say "they don't smoke", but Johnny still will make them do it in certain situations...

Also: Heck, it's an 80'ies vision of the future, of course everybody would be smocking. I grew up back then, we smoked on trains, on planes, heck, even in hospitals and university lecture halls!

I grew up in the 1980s as well.

I don't smoke and neither do a lot of people I grew up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom