Can I have my sex without lung cancer please? [possible spoiler for one romance scene]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though i have no problem with the scene, it can ruin your character for you and thats all that matters.

I originally played V as a straight up lass as much as i could, never drank and never smoked, even after the incident with the chip she never turned to anything but herself to deal with it all, then when she meet judy she started falling for someone an helped them best she could, even refused to be responsible for her taking up smoking again but alas it wasnt her choice so she passed them over, then they got close and well the inevitable happens.

Now you need to realise that before that scene V had made there thoughts on smoking very clear, she thought it was disgusting, made ppl stinking and was for posers ontop of possibly thinking if she gave in she was giving more of herself away to the demon in her head Johnny.

Ppl say it doesn't matter but to the player in control of his/her character it matters alot, much like how in Assassins Creed: Odyssey yoy can play your Kassandra as gay but then the game forces a hetero relationship and a baby on you forcing V into the simple act of smoking without player input can ultimately kill that character for the player.

When i first seen the scene my first thought was "fuck johnny took over", i mean thats no a very good thought now is it.

It might seem petty to some, and giving the host of other problems i'd consider it low tier, but it most definitely is a problem, potentially big, for alot of ppl

If your charachter hates smoking so much, probably shouldn't date a smoker. Also, by that point, your character has smoked I think. so Judy isn't crazy for thinking you might be cool with it. That said, it us weird that you can refuse to smoke 90% of the time but not all the time.
Memes asside. I believe smoke, drugs and alcohol go hand to hand with the cyberpunk genere. Low life, high tech. Human life does not matter. Also you roleplay an edgerunner, a bouty hunter that is almost certain to die from a bullet any time soon, so you experience all you can because most edgerunners don't live too long, and all of them smoke and drink.

Just this small consideration, otherwise keep the memes coming guys, as I said before: this post is a pure meme goldmine.

PS: go watch Cowboy Bebop.

the cyberpunk genre isn't tied to every character smoke/drugs/alchohol, its just a part of the culture. Even during the 80s smoke culture, many people weren't into it.

that said, drugs... well we basically abuse prescription drugs all the time with inhaler heals. Also the Stat boosting stuff are drugs. They took out the negative effects tho.
Post automatically merged:

It amazes me how many peopel don't get it. The FAKE world this game takes place in is about total personal apathy, shallowness, void, death. That is it. They do not care if they smoke or drink or have rampant sex or that violence runs free on the streets. the average citizen just does not care.

nah, its an oversight, regardless of the culture, V can refuse to smoke 90% of the time. I think can right out say they don't smoke. I personally don't care that much, but it is inconsistent

Last edited:
I would never smoke in real life. My asthma pretty much takes care of that for me. But Night City seems like the type of place where even more people would smoke in.

It amazes me how many peopel don't get it. The FAKE world this game takes place in is about total personal apathy, shallowness, void, death. That is it. They do not care if they smoke or drink or have rampant sex or that violence runs free on the streets. the average citizen just does not care.
This point of view falls to pieces because the devs understood the importance of role-playing enough to ensure, in every single case with two conspicuous exceptions, that the player got to choose whether or not to drink/smoke/do drugs. More than that, the ways in which the player is allowed to decline are bluntly underscored through dialogue. "You know I don't drink." "Non-smokers are the absolute worst."

Stop trying to defend missteps. Especially by conjuring dubious rationalizations, or by highlighting the "fake world" as if placing oneself on a pedestal above filthy gamers is going to win an argument.

that said, drugs... well we basically abuse prescription drugs all the time with inhaler heals. Also the Stat boosting stuff are drugs. They took out the negative effects tho.
It's funny you should bring that up. My V never uses inhalers. That's actually a minor complaint I have with the game: You can unequip inhalers, but the game then equips any inhaler you happen to pick up later. Sometimes I accidentally use an inhaler, such as when I'm trying to zoom in on something. Shrug. Time to reload the game.

Last edited:
V smoking is a result of V's changing personality due to having Johnny's construct in her/his head.

Do you people even listen to the dialogue in the game or do you just complain because you like complaining?

thats not accurate. V can refuse to smoke every time Johnny asks/tries/wants to(if V is in control). Or they can slowly succumb. also whether V's personality/habits are changing is not a sure thing. Hellman believes it, but he also doesn't know V, before or after relic.

I'd be more likely to guess it was a spontaneous action while lovemaking, or maybe even the fact that judy/V's minds were connected at the time, than Johnny being the cause. Johnny/Vs minds seem to be fairly separated.
This point of view falls to pieces because the devs understood the importance of role-playing enough to ensure, in every single case with two conspicuous exceptions, that the player got to choose whether or not to drink/smoke/do drugs. More than that, the ways in which the player is allowed to decline are bluntly underscored through dialogue. "You know I don't drink." "Non-smokers are the absolute worst."

Stop trying to defend missteps. Especially by conjuring dubious rationalizations, or by highlighting the "fake world" as if placing oneself on a pedestal above filthy gamers is going to win an argument.

It's funny you should bring that up. My V never uses inhalers. That's actually a minor complaint I have with the game: You can unequip inhalers, but the game then equips any inhaler you happen to pick up later. Sometimes I accidentally use an inhaler, such as when I'm trying to zoom in on something. Shrug. Time to reload the game.

is that to make the game more difficult, or because its drugs, because you will literally die if you don't use it at certain points.

is that to make the game more difficult, or because its drugs, because you will literally die if you don't use it at certain points.
You're talking about the one unavoidable instance early on in the game. I'm indifferent to that moment because even though Viktor tells you to use it again after a short while, you can outright ignore this suggestion and it doesn't impact your health. As for why I don't use them, it's because they are a stimulant designed to effect unnatural healing, which inherently implies drawbacks. It's similar to the question of stimpaks in Fallout—the game treats them as heal-me-ups and so do almost all players, but the lore says they are drugs and the icon for using them shows the Vault Boy character with a "I'm getting high" face. CDPR knew exactly what they were doing when they came up with the inhalers; they serve the exact same purpose as Fallout's stimpaks, the player is expected to regard them just as indifferently, but there's also room for understanding that they are a completely optional shortcut, and their method of ingestion leaves zero room for doubt as to exactly what kind of substance they are.

You're talking about the one unavoidable instance early on in the game. I'm indifferent to that moment because even though Viktor tells you to use it again after a short while, you can outright ignore this suggestion and it doesn't impact your health. As for why I don't use them, it's because they are a stimulant designed to effect unnatural healing, which inherently implies drawbacks. It's similar to the question of stimpaks in Fallout—the game treats them as heal-me-ups and so do almost all players, but the lore says they are drugs and the icon for using them shows the Vault Boy character with a "I'm getting high" face. CDPR knew exactly what they were doing when they came up with the inhalers; they serve the exact same purpose as Fallout's stimpaks, the player is expected to regard them just as indifferently, but there's also room for understanding that they are a completely optional shortcut, and their method of ingestion leaves zero room for doubt as to exactly what kind of substance they are.

I meant post heist, takamura gives you one in the car.

and, if you are going to die(outside of this scene), does that make the use legit? afterall doctors use drugs if needed right?

In game lore, I think they are considered to be drugs. Drug dealers sell them, pharmacy's sell them but its implied they aren't being sold by the book.

however, if you are literally constantly in life or death situations, might not be abuse to use them.

just wondering the perspective.

In the source books, most drugs can mess up your stats, or give you negative effects you may have to recover from. I wonder if they implemented that here, would players avoid them

and, if you are going to die(outside of this scene), does that make the use legit? afterall doctors use drugs if needed right?
This is just selling my point all the better. If you find yourself in a scenario where the only fix is an emergency drug you'd otherwise not use, that's a kind of failure. Conversely, if you manage to finagle things so that you never put yourself in such a situation, that's a success. The drugs doctors use in surgery? Does one take them all the time? No—they take them only when and because it's absolutely necessary.

In the source books, most drugs can mess up your stats, or give you negative effects you may have to recover from. I wonder if they implemented that here, would players avoid them
Players would complain that the go-to method for healing up has drawbacks. CDPR/Bethesda etc. walk a fine line for the sake of efficacies that most people demand from their games. That's the excuse for other such conveniences, such as fast travel, or knowing what's in containers before you've even opened them. Even if CP2077 let you heal up with food, most players would be wondering why the stimpak equivalent has downsides. So, personally, I don't blame them. I just treat those items as something I can abstain from. The game provides other ways of keeping one's health topped off.

Its all FAKE my dear. I just find it to be laughably ironic you complain about virtual cigs while having sex with a virtual person all while running around, stealing, hacking, killing, maiming, etc. Those things are all fine. But smoking....NOOOOoooooo.
I just find it utterly rediculous.

Last edited:
Its all FAKE my dear. I just find it to be laughably ironic you complain about virtual cigs while having sex with a virtual person all while running around, stealing, hacking, killing, maiming, etc. Those things are all fine. But smoking....NOOOOoooooo.

I'm not sure its about virtue for this person, it may be more about a character. The character they imagine runs around killing, maiming, but they hate smoking.

The character does have an option to basically tell npcs smoking is nasty, so its inconsistent when they inhale like its no big deal. Its like you go out your way to play non lethal, and yell at npcs for killing, and then one scene you snap someones neck and go mmmmm satisfying.

I mean I didnt care that much about the smoking, but it wasn't really an important part of how I was playing V, for me.

while running around, stealing, hacking, killing, maiming, etc. Those things are all fine. But smoking....NOOOOoooooo.
Bruh, I get that your reflexive tone when on the losing end of an argument is condescension, but you and I must not have played the same game. One thing CDPR made certain to enable, from A to Z, is a squeaky clean playthrough with zero kills.

Besides, even if I were killing every living thing that crossed my path, the actual argument here is that I choose to roleplay a character who doesn't harm himself. You are trying to put smoking/drinking/substance abuse in the same category as violence, like this is the MPAA. It legitimately scares me that you would consider the topic in such simplistic terms.

if someone hates the taste or smell of smoking, turn it off :D this is the cyberpunk universe...

V smoking is a result of V's changing personality due to having Johnny's construct in her/his head.

Do you people even listen to the dialogue in the game or do you just complain because you like complaining?
I believe it's the latter. I mean, it's fairly obvious it's the reason stated in your comment, but rather than read the writing on the wall, it's the done thing to shout at it instead.

What I want to know is how come no one ever floats an air biscuit. Honestly the lack of realism in games today is truly shocking!

Actually, it is in someways a good point, as there is only one point in the game you get to refuse to smoke (compared to refusing to drink) and Johnny gets annoyed, and yes I know Johnny is taking over V's body, but he still needs you to take the pills to gain control whilst you're not having seizures.

Maybe add a "No thanks" option?

Actually, it is in someways a good point, as there is only one point in the game you get to refuse to smoke (compared to refusing to drink) and Johnny gets annoyed, and yes I know Johnny is taking over V's body, but he still needs you to take the pills to gain control whilst you're not having seizures.

Maybe add a "No thanks" option?
And what is it with that filled ashtray in V's apartment?
Sorry, but it's quite obvious that V actually starts smoking at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom