can i improve hair quality?

+
I would like to know if i can improve hair, because im not sure if Triss´ hair should look like this, i have witch3 on ultra + nvidia hairworks on, im looking for some numbers to change mine, in user.settings but cant find anything
The Witcher 3 Screenshot 2019.09.08 - 22.14.30.92 (2).png

There are tweaks you can find that allow you to fine-tune the anti-aliasing used by Hairworks, but it will come at a pretty significant performance impact. If you're asking whether there is a way to increase the number of strands of hair or the detail of the geometry used, then no. (Unless it's been modded in. Not by default.)

Personally, I disable Hairworks. I love the concept, but I found it to be extremely distracting. The non-Hairworks hair feels like it fits the overall look of the game much more seamlessly. And you'll get ~10-20 FPS to boot.

Guest 2364765

This is not hairworks.
Only human/humanoid characters that have hairworks is Geralt and the Godlings, beyond that hairworks is only used on monsters like bears/wolves/griphons/etc.

Rest of hair assets are standard polygonal meshes which would require modifying existing model or creating brand new one, which is troublesome for certain assets because of how physical bits (dangles) are handled in engine - defining them in existing "mod tools" would be very tedious and as such only really short hair that has absolutely no moving bits is really viable.

Also within hairworks itself, it is possible to increase the "technical" parameters of the asset but it doesn't mean it directly translates to it being "better", core issue is low amount of guide strands (the actually simulated hair) around which all of the other interpolated hairs will spawn and follow its motion.
This means you can have very low density (amount of interpolated hairs) asset looking similar to a high density one because all hairs follow essentially 10 or less guide strands making very visible clusters. This is obviously more visible on Geralt because his hair is stylized whilst monsters usually just have uniform guide strands distribution.

Global settings can be somewhat blanketed in the user.settings file:
HairWorksGlobalWidthLimit
HairWorksGlobalDensityQuality
HairWorkstGlobalDensityLimit
HairWorksLevel
HairWorksGlobalDetailLODFactor
HairWorksAALevel

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom