Can I safely get rid of books, etc. that I've read?

+
Can I safely get rid of books, etc. that I've read?

Once you have read a book or scroll, is it ok do drop it? I've been giving them to the Inn Keeper to look after 'just in case', but I presume they can be discarded as they are not plot items?

Yes, you can drop scrolls, books, contracts once you read them, but remember you can sell scrolls and books (not contracts) to a bookseller for a small return.

STGhost said:
Yes, you can drop scrolls, books, contracts once you read them, but remember you can sell scrolls and books (not contracts) to a bookseller for a small return.
ST_GHOST is right. Books and scrolls will earn you 20% back for what you paid for them, or if you find them, you will get 20% of what you would have paid for them. I sell every book and scoll I find. EXCEPT, the notices on the notice boards. Haven't found a use for them, other than to start a contract.

Nobody is interested to buy the contract notices ;D Actually you don't need to keep them or deliver it to the payer. initially I thought I have to deliver the contract after the mission is done cos it says 'contract handed out to xyz*

PetraSilie said:
initially I thought I have to deliver the contract after the mission is done cos it says 'contract handed out to xyz*
I thought that too, but then I had to get rid of contracts because I didn't have enough inventory space, and found that I could complete the contract missions anyway. Now I still keep a paper until the end of the contract quest for roleplaying reasons -- as an honest witcher, Geralt always gives a receipt. ;D

SilverGryphon said:
SilverGryphon said:
One book isn't a quest item, but can be exchanged for a signet ring.Do I get points for being vague? :p
Yes, damn you, now what book and where? ;D
Don't tell, don't tell. I didn't figure out what to do with that book until my 3rd time through. Then, the ring explains itself, at least that's is my thought.

I don't sell excerpts of Witcher knowledge (can't remember the exact naming) out of some kind of roleplaying decision, I feel that Geralt wouldn't let those spread any more once he's got hold of them.

Planewalker said:
Planewalker said:
initially I thought I have to deliver the contract after the mission is done cos it says 'contract handed out to xyz*
I thought that too, but then I had to get rid of contracts because I didn't have enough inventory space, and found that I could complete the contract missions anyway. Now I still keep a paper until the end of the contract quest for roleplaying reasons -- as an honest witcher, Geralt always gives a receipt. ;D
I dunno, but on my first playthrough I threw them already because I think the tutorial told me to :D

SilverGryphon said:
SilverGryphon said:
One book isn't a quest item, but can be exchanged for a signet ring.Do I get points for being vague? :p
Yes, damn you, now what book and where? ;D
Drink with Thaler in Chapter II. Make sure you have some Wives' Tears with you -- he's as tough as a witcher!
SilverGryphon said:
I don't sell excerpts of Witcher knowledge (can't remember the exact naming) out of some kind of roleplaying decision, I feel that Geralt wouldn't let those spread any more once he's got hold of them.
Yes, the recipes for witcher potions -- you get several different scrolls with those. I didn't sell them for the same reason -- not only are the witchers trying to take back their secrets, but these potions would kill ordinary humans, so selling them would be irresponsible on two fronts.

And you think ONLY witchers use ingrediants? What do you think healers use? Knowing ingrediants and what to pluck from a plant isn't WITCHER knowledge it is common knowledge. Now the scrolls are a different matter, but books can be sold without feeling bad. IMO. Though I don't really get that much into roelplaying as Geralt to not sell stuff (I need the money) but...

phalzyr said:
And you think ONLY witchers use ingrediants? What do you think healers use? Knowing ingrediants and what to pluck from a plant isn't WITCHER knowledge it is common knowledge. Now the scrolls are a different matter, but books can be sold without feeling bad. IMO. Though I don't really get that much into roelplaying as Geralt to not sell stuff (I need the money) but...
Yes, hon, it was the scrolls that we were talking about. Both Fiskrens and I said that we didn't sell the scrolls with special witcher knowledge. We do sell the herbaria, for precisely the reasons you articulate -- no need to get all hot under the collar.

Corylea said:
Yes, hon, it was the scrolls that we were talking about. Both Fiskrens and I said that we didn't sell the scrolls with special witcher knowledge. We do sell the herbaria, for precisely the reasons you articulate -- no need to get all hot under the collar.
Sorry didn't mean to come off hot. The mention of not selling books was what I was responding to. They have only the ingrediants/parts knowledge in it so thus no witcher knowledge.

Corylea & Fiskrens: From your role playing points of view, do you also buy books and scolls containg potion/oil/bomb information from merchants in order to stop the spread of information?

Voylodion said:
Corylea & Fiskrens: From your role playing points of view, do you also buy books and scolls containg potion/oil/bomb information from merchants in order to stop the spread of information?
I'd like to know that also. If unwilling to sale then you MUST also buy any that you see to try to keep it out of thier hands imo. Though the scrolls that contain how to make said potion aren't D&D magical scrolls they are just how to guides and thus it they could make copies of them at leisure and this be pointless. Though at one time while playing or reading on forum I thought I heard mention that these scrolls and such could only be read by witchers, some special language, thus buying/saling them would also be pointless errand to worry about. Is that true about only witchers being able to read them or did I mix something else or another game up in my mind....

You probably point a detail that could have been more realistic but would have require work and time to improve it. Isn't the big evil seeking some witcher secrets? It's one point of the beginning. And later you find some of them at some merchants, can anybody say to the evil camp that they just need to do some shopping? ;DAnother point is why merchant are selling some recipient to make potions that only very few people in the world can use? I can imagine few explanation but I didn't quote that sort of explication in the game. For example it would be just for collectors that some people buy them, no practical use. For oils I don't see why only witchers could use them.

You grub out something contradictory... the Witcher secrets are formulae olny known to the Witchers but on the other hand you can obtain that knowledge from books which are available form every bookseller I would say these books and scrolls contain merely general knowledge but the finesse what is needed to create these potions only know Witchers. Okay... this sounds a bit designed but I have no other explanation :angel:

Anyone can make the potions, but as explained in the Prologue, they are lethal for anyone but witchers :)

I know but that doesn't explain why merchants sell these books when just the Wichters advantage from the formulae.

Top Bottom