Can I safely get rid of books, etc. that I've read?

+
PetraSilie said:
I know but that doesn't explain why merchants sell these books when just the Wichters advantage from the formulae.
Because in a game, the entire world revolves around you, UNlike in life. :)

I completely agree about the scrolls that teach you how to make Witcher formulas. One of the main quests of the game is retrieving these secrets and the game lets you sell them. I have 4 and that is only going to build as the game goes along. The way I see it, as playing Geralt, I help the decent characters and some dirtbags to, if it furthers my goals, in the game. But I'll be damned if I am going to allow any other "Witcher secrets" loose in the society. Hell, What if the professor goes to the same merchant and buys a witcher secret scroll that I sold. It is plain unacceptable. For what? 20 orens. This has been buggin.

However, what would people besides witchers do with the scrolls?Witcher can only drink the potions due to their mutations, to any ordinary human they'd be the most vicious posion (not sure about the elder races though...) :beer:

TheSilver said:
However, what would people besides witchers do with the scrolls?Witcher can only drink the potions due to their mutations, to any ordinary human they'd be the most vicious posion (not sure about the elder races though...) :beer:
But it doesn't say that ON the scroll -- you just have to know it. So some unfortunate person could buy a scroll, make a potion, drink it, and die. Much more responsible to keep those things out of the hands of the mundanes.

I always saw it as the stuff being sold like a begginers stuff. The really important information and potions are what the evil people are trying to steal. No one has that information. The potion recipes sold in shops are the basics that are only used AFTER you become a mutated witcher. How to mutate is not sold and is what the evil were seeking. Potion recipes that they can't drink would do them no good. Why merchants would sale useless things since no one normally (witchers are rare) would buy them is simply game mechanics. You have to get them from somewhere and that is the way RED decided to make them available. As a money sink with quests that can get around buying them.

If I drop/sell anything that I've read that added journal entries, will I retain those entries or do I lose them? If I keep them, is there any value in saving the books I buy?On a related note, what about items that add quests to your journal, like contracts? For example, the Drowner Contract was not labeled as a quest item, yet when I turned the quest in, the Reverend took the contract. Would I have been able to complete the quest if I didn't have the contract in my bag?Thanks.

When you read the book your journal entries will stay ;)The contract will only be taken when the quest is silved, as far as i know :D

FearIfayra said:
When you read the book your journal entries will stay ;)The contract will only be taken when the quest is silved, as far as i know :D
So for books and non-quest related items, I can get rid of them. But is it a good idea to hold on to things like contracts, since they seem to be needed when you finish the quest?

yes, of course, keep them untill the quest is finished, then they will vanish automatically :)

you can ditch the contracts immediately upon reading them. They are of no value and only some of them disappear when you fulfill the contract, not all of them. I just collect them and keep them in storage :)

gamewidow said:
They are of no value and only some of them disappear when you fulfill the contract, not all of them.
Isn't the non-disappearing-contract-on-completion a last act bug?

Bug or not, you can have the invisible trash collector sweep them up simply by dropping them on the ground (best done after you read them). I always feel guilty for littering once I see them all scatter on the ground, but once you return after going to a new area, they're gone. At last act, it doesn't really matter anyway.In fact, almost everything you drop disappears after transition. Even books, though they can be best used by selling them for Orens. Contracts aren't worth money.~ Roxy

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
I know but that doesn't explain why merchants sell these books when just the Wichters advantage from the formulae.
Because in a game, the entire world revolves around you, UNlike in life. :)
Oh c'mon, that's never a reasonable roleplayer's explanation. The world is logical, not player-centric and the only reason it seems player-centric is because you're percieving things from the PC's point of view :p The Witcher does a fine job making the world run its own life with you adventuring in a world rather than the world functioning around you.

Elealar said:
Elealar said:
Elealar said:
Oh c'mon, that's never a reasonable roleplayer's explanation.
There might be an explanation that would be logical within the gameworld:Ever had the idea that the books and scrolls do not contain the formulae you found in your log? That they are the result of some clever thinking (or remebering)?Let me explain - the books and scrolls contain more general information about plants, monsters and ingredients like "plant a contains substance b which is good for c" or "when a, b and c are combined, they may do d".This way, a healer might find usefull information for, let's say a cure for headache, but a whitcher, who uses the ingredients in a more raw form and much higher concentration, might change them into a swallow or a tawny owl or other potions.This way it would make sense to be able to buy books and scrolls from merchants and others. In other words: Books and scrolls are the gameworlds form of physics books and, if you want, the internet. You can find the information how nuclear fusion and fission work, you might be able to think that this may make very potential and dangerous weapons. But without the proper education and equipment, you won't be able to actually build an atom bomb. And that is what seperates the witchers, alchemists and healers from the ordinary people.

There might be an explanation that would be logical within the gameworld:Ever had the idea that the books and scrolls do not contain the formulae you found in your log? That they are the result of some clever thinking (or remebering)?Let me explain - the books and scrolls contain more general information about plants, monsters and ingredients like "plant a contains substance b which is good for c" or "when a, b and c are combined, they may do d".This way, a healer might find usefull information for, let's say a cure for headache, but a whitcher, who uses the ingredients in a more raw form and much higher concentration, might change them into a swallow or a tawny owl or other potions.This way it would make sense to be able to buy books and scrolls from merchants and others. In other words: Books and scrolls are the gameworlds form of physics books and, if you want, the internet. You can find the information how nuclear fusion and fission work, you might be able to think that this may make very potential and dangerous weapons. But without the proper education and equipment, you won't be able to actually build an atom bomb. And that is what seperates the witchers, alchemists and healers from the ordinary people.
This reminds me of one of the talks with Gramps during the "get Gramps to the shrine" mini-quest. He tells Geralt (the text is probably different, but you''ll get the point) "if you mix one part abolmination lymph with 2 parts celandine and one part hellebore petals, using high quality alcohol, you can get a potion that makes you cast more signs", and while this would sound far-fetched to non-experts, Geralt has the knowledge that bloedzuiger blood = quebrith, celandine = rebis, hellebore = aether, and "cast more signs" = maribor forest potion, and presto! a new journal entry is made. Seems like your way of thinking is correct.

If you have ever seen the bookseller bins in Paris you would not find it odd that a bookseller doesn't know what he/she has in stock. They pick up books from estates and any way they can get them. You can find rare books in these stalls at the same price as the other books. Not that it really matters. Nor can I say the developers where thinking this way. It's a game and it's fun. :)

Grandempereor said:
There might be an explanation that would be logical within the gameworld:Ever had the idea that the books and scrolls do not contain the formulae you found in your log? That they are the result of some clever thinking (or remebering)?Let me explain - the books and scrolls contain more general information about plants, monsters and ingredients like "plant a contains substance b which is good for c" or "when a, b and c are combined, they may do d".This way, a healer might find usefull information for, let's say a cure for headache, but a whitcher, who uses the ingredients in a more raw form and much higher concentration, might change them into a swallow or a tawny owl or other potions.
exactly. that`s why books and scrolls have more general titles actually...one cant buy "a scroll of how to make a swallow regenerating potion", but a "book of swallow" (afair).a scroll "zerrikanian alchemy" is another example..

Top Bottom